Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, Live Newport 1966

robertoart

Inspired by finding out new information about the Iron City session, I thought I might contribute something about another recording that was always a mystery to me.

In the 1980's. there were a series of Italian 'grey area' releases, that often contained performances that I could not find in the standard discographies.

My favourites were three live cuts by Grant Green, Kenny Burrell and George Benson. They appeared as part of a five set guitar anthology box , and were ubiquitous in the shops when I first started exploring Jazz guitar.

Thanks to the internet (and google books), I found out they were all part of the same performance from the 1966 Newport Jazz festival on July 4 1966.

Part of an afternoon concert broken up into two parts, a Jazz guitar workshop, and a Trumpet workshop.

Most featured soloists were backed by the Billy Taylor trio. Except George Benson, who had his great early quartet with Lonnie Smith and Ronnie Cuber.

Info from Billboard Magazine July 16 1966

My link

I have uploaded the Grant Green and Kenny Burrell audio to Youtube, as they were not represented there. Here are the links;

Hope anyone that enjoys Jazz guitar (with deep blues) will enjoy these performances, especially if you have never heard them.

Incidentally, here is some more info regarding the source of these tapes. It seems they were part of the Library of Congress collection, but the performances heard here have seemingly disappeared.

My link

Shelf no.

RGA 0104--0105 (RWD 6104 B2, 6105 B2)

Title

Newport Jazz Festival, July 4, 1966, morning concert, set 1 : Guitar workshop

Date

Event : 07/04/1966

Publication Status

Unpublished

Type

Music

Medium

Recording

Performer(s)

Charlie Byrd, Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Attila Zoller, George Benson, Connie Smith, guitars; Ross Tompkins, Billy Taylor, George Wein, pianos; Gene Taylor, bass; Billy Kay, Mike Deluca, drums; Lonnie Liston Smith, organ and various other instruments.

Recording Note

Recorded at the Newport Jazz Festival, Freebody Park, Newport, Rhode Island on Sunday evening, July 4, 1966.

The first of two bibliographical records for this concert.

Quality

Distortion on original tape.

Summary

Shows different impressions of how instruments are used.

Note

There are quite a few tapes missing from this year's festival.

Work(s)

House of the rising sun. Performed by Charlie Byrd, guitarist.

Greensleeves. Performed by Kenny Burrell, guitarist.

Unidentified blues. Performed by Grant Green, guitarist. Incomplete version; Complete version on tape (RWD 6105 B) which is missing from this collection.

Cantalope woman. Performed by Grant Green, guitarist. Complete version on RWD 6105 B which is missing from this collection.

Genre(s)

Blues (Music)

Guitar music (Jazz)

Jazz--1961-1970

Subject

Guitar music (Jazz)

Name(s)

Byrd, Charlie, 1925-. (performer)

Burrell, Kenny. (performer)

Green, Grant. (performer)

Group(s)

Charlie Byrd Trio. (musical group)

Newport Jazz Festival (1966)

Collection

Voice of America Music Library Collection (Library of Congress)

Physical Item

RGA 0104--0105 (RWD 6104 B2, 6105 B2). 2 digital sound cassettes, digital (polyester). Recording Laboratory 1995-7. Collection/Donor name: Voice of America Music Library Collection (Library of Congress)

post-3079-0-49933100-1331319883_thumb.pn

Edited by freelancer

I think this may be the only live "1960's" Grant Green I've yet run across -- is this really it for any live documentation of Green in the 60's?

(Or am I forgetting something? - wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure.)

Edit: just thought of Stanley T's "Up At Minton's" - which is live (iirc). But other than that (plus what this thread is about), is that it for live Grant Green that's floating about? Nothing else jumps out at me here.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I think this may be the only live "1960's" Grant Green I've yet run across -- is this really it for any live documentation of Green in the 60's?

Edit: just thought of Stanley T's "Up At Minton's" - which is live (iirc). But other than that (plus what this thread is about), is that it for live Grant Green that's floating about? Nothing else jumps out at me here.

There's also the short video with Kessel and Burrell from Ronnie Scott's in 1969.

Lonnie Liston Smith, organ and various other instruments

This makes me want to just cry. There's a story behind this.

Bertrand.

No, I Think they are just referring to Lonnie Smith. There was a George Benson Quartet performance from this concert. ie,; 'connie smith' guitars.

There is a killing live version of Ready and Able (from the Benson Cookbook lp) that circulates with the Green and Burrell tunes. As well as an Attila Zoler tune.

The 'various other instruments', is probably referring to unidentified musicians who were part of the trumpet and guitar workshops.

The original archivists possibly had limited info to reference (or hard to read handwritten notes).

What I would like to know is - were the 4(?) tracks that circulated on the Italian boots the only music that was recorded/saved, or do/did the missing tapes contain other performances the bootleggers didn't use.

For instance, anyone heard Kenny Burrell's Greensleeves from this concert.

Are the missing tapes purely the edited highlights of the concert as it was produced for radio broadcast?

Was the original broadcast a combination of the trumpet and guitar workshops or were separate broadcasts devoted to each show?

It would be good to know from someone that heard the original broadcasts

I remember when a question like this was raised about the 'Burrell, Kessell and Green' video, Magnificent Goldberg was able to confirm that only the one song was broadcast in the UK at the time.

Edited by freelancer

There is also the Green/Patton/Harold Vick/Hugh Walker Left Bank recording from 66?. I assume that tape must be unlistenable or deteriorated for it not to have been released.

Maybe these will show up on Wolfgang's Vault, but if the tapes that were lost were the official tapes, probably not.

I thought Wolfgang's Vault might have had the source tapes too. But as you say, probably not. Its also been a few years since they started offering the Newport archives.

The Green and Burrell tracks have been on cd compilations put out by Sonny Lester's LRC label. Also, the Italian 'l Giganti Del Jazz' series these titles originally appeared on, have (as recently as January this year), been rereleased/offered as digital downloads on itunes (and remastered as well :g ).

Edited by freelancer

I used to have the record many many moons ago and got it for pence in the UK...sold for same pence later I am afriad

I got it for pence and kept it :D

MG

I'm glad you and AndyBleaden had this in your collections.

Wish this was a whole session. With Grant playing like this with this band :(

There is an interesting discussion going on at the Hoffman Forums about Iron City.

My link

Edited by freelancer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...