Cecil Taylor - Complete Nat Hentoff Sessions

7/4

any thoughts on this?

"Digitally remastered four CD collection containing all existing recordings made by Cecil Taylor for the legendary Candid label. Produced by legendary jazz critic Nat Hentoff in 1960-61, these recordings are essential to the history of Modern Jazz. Featured are such star sidemen as Archie Shepp, Clark Terry, Steve Lacy, Billy Higgins, and bassist Buell Neidlinger, who was the original leader on half of these sessions. A complete 1961 Taylor septet session produced by Creed Taylor, and the pianist's entire 1957 quartet performance at Newport have been added here as a bonus. Includes 24-page booklet. Solar."

Public domain release of the Candid Taylor sessions, with additions of tracks from Impulse and Verve. Probably sourced from prior cd releases. My personal thoughts: for me, not necessary.

Correct. This is one of the public-domain labels that don't have access to original sources such as master tapes. Not for me, but others' mileage may vary.

Edited by J.A.W.

Also style wins over substance... or as Mr. Sangrey put it: their presentation suggests much more substance than there really is. Not that I know this very release, but I've seen some of them (and bought a couple, too... the Quincy and Mingus Birdland ones were just too good to pass - the Quincy makes a big mess of the liners, though, not quoting and unquoting properly).

Anyway, the individual Candid discs seem to be in print, so there's no need for this crappy set.

You could pick up the 5 Candid CDs for $36.13 + shipping on Amazon.

Are all the Candid releases included in the Mosaic set? And was the Newport performance part of the "Masters of Modern Piano" 2 record set that also had Mary Lou Williams and others?

The Mosaic has 26 tracks:

Air (5 takes)

Number One (2 takes)

This Nearly Was Mine (1 take)

E.B. (1 take)

Lazy Afternoon (1 take)

Port of Call (2 takes)

Davis (2 takes)

O.P. (2 takes)

Cell Walk for Celeste (3 takes)

I Forgot (1 take)

Section C (1 take)

Jumpin' Punkins (2 takes)

Things Ain't What They Used to Be (2 takes)

Cindy's Main Mood (1 take)

Edited by J.A.W.