Cecil Taylor - Complete Nat Hentoff Sessions

7/4

How many cuts was it, exactly? And what do I have to buy now to get them?

Can't answer that, but I guess the answer would be the Mingus Candids. I had the Japanese Candids but sold them a long time ago when I got the Mosaic, which has much better sound (at least to my ears) than those Japanese CDs. One of the Candids (can't remember which one) had a very weird stereo effect, which the Mosaic doesn't have.

The Mingus Candid Mosaic CD-set has 19 tracks:

Folk Forms No.1

Original Faubus Fables

What Love

All the Things You Could Be By Now If Sigmund Freud's Wife Was Your Mother

Stormy Weather

Melody from the Drums

Reincarnations of a Love Bird (first session)

Vasserlean

MDM

Bugs

Reincarnations of a Love Bird (second session)

Lock 'Em Up

Mysterious Blues

Body and Soul

Body and Soul (alternate take)

R&R

Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams

Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams (alternate take)

Me and You

Both alternate takes were added to the CD set. The LP-set booklet does not list them.

Edited by J.A.W.

not sure if this is 100% correct (please let me know about goofs and mistakes!) - but I put this together many years ago:Mingus Candid.doc

Taylor is somewhat more messy/complicated as there's multiple takes and the Candid discs don't always give take numbers. I gave up sorting that out, but this here should answer most questions:

http://bb10k.com/Cecil_Taylor/CTcandid.html

As a Taylor fanatic (and Mosaic LP box owner), I can sleep easy tonight!

I agree. Not a Taylor fanatic but definitely a fan and LP set owner and I too am sleeping easy over this one. When I saw this one in the shops my first instinct was inner outrage that they would have the cheek to rip off the Mosaic so blatently. :tdown

Edited by sidewinder

How many cuts was it, exactly? And what do I have to buy now to get them?

Can't answer that, but I guess the answer would be the Mingus Candids. I had the Japanese Candids but sold them a long time ago when I got the Mosaic, which has much better sound (at least to my ears) than those Japanese CDs. One of the Candids (can't remember which one) had a very weird stereo effect, which the Mosaic doesn't have.

MC used the mono tapes for the Mingus Mosaic set - I think all individual Mingus Candid CD releases are stereo versions

The Mosaic has 26 tracks:

Air (5 takes)

Number One (2 takes)

This Nearly Was Mine (1 take)

E.B. (1 take)

Lazy Afternoon (1 take)

Port of Call (2 takes)

Davis (2 takes)

O.P. (2 takes)

Cell Walk for Celeste (3 takes)

I Forgot (1 take)

Section C (1 take)

Jumpin' Punkins (2 takes)

Things Ain't What They Used to Be (2 takes)

Cindy's Main Mood (1 take)

Jumpin' Punkins tk #5 was omitted from the Mosaic box - It was included in Candid CD 79034 - Cell Walk For Celeste

IMHO the Mosaic box sounds so much better than the Candid CDs

Taylor is somewhat more messy/complicated as there's multiple takes and the Candid discs don't always give take numbers. I gave up sorting that out, but this here should answer most questions:

Checking that link more closely and comparing with my CDs - it seems all of the tracks from the first two sessions that according to the link only found on the Mosaic, are on "Air" (Candid CCD79046) - except for take 5 of "Air", which remains exclusive to the Mosaic set, if I'm correct.

Jumpin' Punkins tk #5 was omitted from the Mosaic box - It was included in Candid CD 79034 - Cell Walk For Celeste

That, again according to the site linked above, is just a labelling error - take 5 was a false start, the track labelled take 5 on CCD97034 ("Cell Walk for Celeste") and is identical to take 6 (hence either CCD97034 has takes 4 and 6, and the later is also on CCD79013, "Jumpin' Punkins").

So that leaves one cut ("Air" take 5, from Oct 12) missing from, and one track ("Jumpink Punkins" take 6, once mis-labelled as take 5) duplicated on the Candid CDs.

Checking that link more closely and comparing with my CDs - it seems all of the tracks from the first two sessions that according to the link only found on the Mosaic, are on "Air" (Candid CCD79046) - except for take 5 of "Air", which remains exclusive to the Mosaic set, if I'm correct.

That, again according to the site linked above, is just a labelling error - take 5 was a false start, the track labelled take 5 on CCD97034 ("Cell Walk for Celeste") and is identical to take 6 (hence either CCD97034 has takes 4 and 6, and the later is also on CCD79013, "Jumpin' Punkins").

So that leaves one cut ("Air" take 5, from Oct 12) missing from, and one track ("Jumpink Punkins" take 6, once mis-labelled as take 5) duplicated on the Candid CDs.

Thanks for that - I stand corrected re tk 5 of Jumpin' Punkins - It does make sense though as I had a listen to the versions last night before I posted & tks5 & 6 did sound very similar

MC used the mono tapes for the Mingus Mosaic set - I think all individual Mingus Candid CD releases are stereo versions

The Mosaic only used mono tapes for the pieces on Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus. The original stereo masters were missing. The balance of the set is stereo.

Thanks for the correction - I always presumed the whole box was mono - just checked a number of the files with audacity & they are indeed in stereo

Had no time yet to check, but ripping both versions onto the hard disk would make it fairly easy to find out.

Also, apologies for the crappy English and typos in the above post - was changing around sentences once too many and didn't double check before posting.

• 1 year later...