Mike and Kate Westbrook

jazz1

June 17th 2005 Phoenix, Exeter

Looks like your neck of the woods, Sidewinder.

You might like to know that 'Love Songs' which was planned for reissue as part of the Impressed Repressed series will now not be reissued; Mike does not want it reissued for some reason. However, it is avalable as a recent Japanese reissue - I doubt if it will be here long. I've got one paddling across the Atlantic at the moment from Dusty Groove.

Thanks for the heads up, Bev. The 'Phoenix' is a favourite venue of mine so I'll add that one to the diary. Great stuff !

Sidewinder, I'll almost certainly be at the Exeter event. Heard/saw the programme ("art wolf") in Switzerland last month and it's well worth it. - Ubu, did you get a chance to be there when it was performed in Zuerich?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I was in the Bath shop today and noticed the 'Art Wolf' was in there ( :) ). My job-lot order of Vocalions has been held up slightly owing to the release of the Westbrook so I've added that to the bundle (that'll make 3 of 'Love Songs' including the vinyl ( :D ) but must have the 'Magic Garden'.

• 2 years later...

bumping this up, just happened to find this site here, pretty nice, with lots of infos on releases:

http://www.westbrookjazz.de/

Good to see some reissue action, even more so on the side of Hat Hut records (though I have the old Hat Art CDs of Love for Sale, On Duke's Birthday and the live Westbrook-Rossini 2CD set).

bumping this up, just happened to find this site here, pretty nice, with lots of infos on releases:

http://www.westbrookjazz.de/

Good to see some reissue action, even more so on the side of Hat Hut records (though I have the old Hat Art CDs of Love for Sale, On Duke's Birthday and the live Westbrook-Rossini 2CD set).

Yep, that's Frank Eichler's site. He sometimes posts over here and also on AAJ.

The Village Band have a new project out - which they 'aired' last week at the Phoenix in Exeter. Unfortunately I missed it - hopefully catch it a bit later in the year. :(

Edited by sidewinder

Hi Bob, missed you in Exeter last week! - There were two sets, one on either side of the interval. "Waxeywork Show" first, just brilliant in every way. - Then the new piece of approx 40 minutes: "English Soup* - The Battle of the Classic Trifle" and I'm already addicted :excited:

There is a slight delay on the BGO re-issue of "London Bridge ...", as some of the liner notes weren't delivered on time.

*English Soup = Zuppa Inglese

Edited by jazzscriveyn

Hi Bob, missed you in Exeter last week! - There were two sets, one on either side of the interval. "Waxeywork Show" first, just brilliant in every way. - Then the new piece of approx 40 minutes: "English Soup* - The Battle of the Classic Trifle" and I'm already addicted :excited:

There is a slight delay on the BGO re-issue of "London Bridge ...", as some of the liner notes weren't delivered on time.

*English Soup = Zuppa Inglese

Hello Frank :tup

Sorry to miss the show - was recovering from a bout of bad cold, otherwise I would have been there. The 'English Soup*' sounds intriguing , hope to catch it at one of the forthcoming gigs a bit later in the Spring. Must pick up the newish Village Band CD too.

• 3 weeks later...

what is poopin outta you? how is that japanese import live westbrook CD? looks interesting but i fear it isn't worth 30 bucks. i think the band is godding, jackson, khan and potter with westbrook live somewhere.

speaking of those guys, how is that mirage album, while i'm at it?

Opportunity to read an extensive interview with Kate and Mike Westbrook about their album (now re-issued on BGO) "London Bridge is Broken Down" at the Vortex' website: http://www.vortexjazz.co.uk/special-features.html

(I don't know how long this will remain online before other special features come along)

... and here are two more:

one from a 1966 Jazz Journal: http://www.westbrookjazz.de/JJ6601.html

the other from a new e-zine "Eartrip": http://www.westbrookjazz.de/eartrip.html

Edit: activated links

Edited by jazzscriveyn

• 3 years later...

speaking of those guys, how is that mirage album, while i'm at it?

I like it. Good '70s British jazz-rock with some nice bonus live tracks.

Mike and Kate Westbrook were interviewed on BBC Radio 3 last week in recognition of Mike's '75th and the forthcoming 'The Serpent Hit' (they played a couple of tracks from it). Can't remember the name of the show but it was one of the review programmes. Only caught it by chance !

one from a 1966 Jazz Journal: http://www.westbrookjazz.de/JJ6601.html

Thanks for posting that. Peter Russell - of 'Peter Russell's Hot Record Store' fame, a shop now long, long gone alas (half the shop was jazz LPs, the other half was hi-fi kit). I've still got LPs from that place, a veritable jazz Alladin's cave in Plymouth 'back in the day'. Never realised the influence that it had on Mike Westbrook's starting out !

Edited by sidewinder

I notice 'The Cortege' is getting a new, lower price reissue.

http://www.jazzcds.c...d_644/cd_id_710

If you don't know it, spring!

One of by all time favourite sets (it originally ran to 3 LPs).

tried to spring as thought it was time I had something by them (always steered away because of the vocal element) but noticed this, 'This item is currently not available' just in time. Released 28/3, sold out by 7/4?

tried to spring as thought it was time I had something by them (always steered away because of the vocal element) but noticed this, 'This item is currently not available' just in time. Released 28/3, sold out by 7/4?

Seems to be at Amazon for £8.99.

There are vocals on this but lengthy instrumental and soloing passages. Don't get put off by the long 'Berlin' track early on which sounds like a Second Viennese School lied!

Guy Barker is superb on this record - I've always found him a bit knitted cardigan elsewhere!

If you get a chance to sample, try 'Lenador' - utterly thrilling soloing on that one.

Special praise for Brian Godding too whose guitar textures throughout are mesmerising.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Seems to be at Amazon for £8.99.

There are vocals on this but lengthy instrumental and soloing passages. Don't get put off by the long 'Berlin' track early on which sounds like a Second Viennese School lied!

Guy Barker is superb on this record - I've always found him a bit knitted cardigan elsewhere!

If you get a chance to sample, try 'Lenador' - utterly thrilling soloing on that one.

Special praise for Brian Godding too whose guitar textures throughout are mesmerising.

Well spotted Bev, thanks.

Despite the phrases 'Guy Barker' and 'Second Viennese School lied' appearing in your description i've jumped. i really do think it's time for me to at least investigate Westbrook's 'vocal' works ( I enjoy the non-vocal big band). So here's to a voyage of discovery

Despite the phrases 'Guy Barker' and 'Second Viennese School lied' appearing in your description i've jumped. i really do think it's time for me to at least investigate Westbrook's 'vocal' works ( I enjoy the non-vocal big band). So here's to a voyage of discovery

Give it time to work its way in - though there's plenty to jump out at you on first hearing.

I first heard it in Nottingham when it was toured prior to the recording - utterly compelling concert. We got the chance to sign up in advance and about 9 months later got the recording through the post. It has my name on it as a 'Patron of the Mike Westbrook Orchestra' which sounds very grand! Not sure if those credits will survive to the reissue.

Mike and Kate Westbrook were interviewed on BBC Radio 3 last week in recognition of Mike's '75th and the forthcoming 'The Serpent Hit' (they played a couple of tracks from it). Can't remember the name of the show but it was one of the review programmes. Only caught it by chance !

Been to the"Serpent Hit" performance in London. It formed the second half of the evening's show, with Fine 'n Yellow for the first half. Nearly two hours Westbrook band in total, I enjoyed it hugely. - Picked up the new "Cortège" while I was there, digitally remastered from the original tapes and reputed to be excellent sound quality (haven't given it a spin yet). Also in the shops now a DVD of a Mama Chicago performance from 1981 (plus bonus material by the Trio and interview).

The London concert was recorded by the BBC and will presumably make an appearance on JazzOn3 sometime.

Good to hear ! Will listen out for the BBC Radio 3 broadcast of this.

I noticed that 'Rays Jazz' had the DVD 'Mama Chicago' in stock. I'm pretty sure I saw this on TV when it was originally broadcast (BBC2?) and certainly have at at least a bit of it on a compilation DVD (from a show the Beeb did a few years ago which was an UK artist compilation).

Edited by sidewinder

Give it time to work its way in - though there's plenty to jump out at you on first hearing.

I first heard it in Nottingham when it was toured prior to the recording - utterly compelling concert. We got the chance to sign up in advance and about 9 months later got the recording through the post. It has my name on it as a 'Patron of the Mike Westbrook Orchestra' which sounds very grand! Not sure if those credits will survive to the reissue.

Bev, I've listened just the once and even with this brief exposure I can hear why you hold it in such esteem. Funnily enough, given my pre-purchase concerns, it's some of the vocal tracks that have made the most positive impact so far (except for Minton's cod cockney). Barker is very impressive and I'd forgotten about Chris Hunter great tone.

Sad to report that your name hasn't survived the transfer to CD but you may well be one of the 'patrons' that are thanked.

(except for Minton's cod cockney).

Ha! Think you're referring to 'Ruote Che Girano' (which turns up on other Westbrook recordings under different names) - I think he's playing up his Torquay roots rather than cockney there!

Glad you enjoyed it. I played it again for the first time in ages a week or so back and it sounded wonderful.

... Sad to report that your name hasn't survived the transfer to CD but you may well be one of the 'patrons' that are thanked. ...

A lot of notes, photos and the patrons list too, that have been omitted from the new booklet, have been put online on the Westbrook website.

I have a blown up version framed and on the wall in my chateau.