Gene Shaw

prestontw

My ongoing Chicago jazz/soul jazz/Argo-Cadet project marches on - this afternoon I located and reached out to

the two surviving daughters of the trumpet player Gene Shaw! (Mingus sideman and leader of three brilliant recordings

on Argo from 1962-64). Interestingly - both now reside in Europe (France and Italy, respectively). I'm going to interview both

about their father on the weekend. More later!

trevor

FWIW, maybe John Litweiler and I are the only members to have heard Gene/Clarence in person.

I did, too. Same time, same place. On Wells St., don't recall the name of the club/bar (the Something or Other SquIre), but I know where it was physically, that you could see the band in the front window (I think), and that Shaw played great. There was a fine Litweiler review of the band in Down Beat.

FWIW, maybe John Litweiler and I are the only members to have heard Gene/Clarence in person.

I did, too. Same time, same place. On Wells St., don't recall the name of the club/bar (the Something or Other SquIre), but I know where it was physically, that you could see the band in the front window (I think), and that Shaw played great. There was a fine Litweiler review of the band in Down Beat.

There was/is a joint in NYC called the Angry Squire down in Greenwich Village near NYU.

Who was the organist? Amina?

No -- a guy, can't recall his name. I'll try to track down that Litweiler review, may have it in a bound volume of DB.

Was that the organ group?

Yes, and I can't believe I left out Larry!!!

Semi-invisibilty is one of my secrets and often a very useful one. The call me Manduck the Magician.

There was/is a joint in NYC called the Angry Squire down in Greenwich Village near NYU.

Angry Squire was in Chelsea, 7th Ave. & 23rd. I gigged there once with Joel Forrester & Dave Hofstra shortly before they closed. Pianist Alan Kamen did the bookings toward the end. It was a bit of a dive, but Dakota Staton and Jaki Byard often performed there.

Edited by Pete C