....Richard Davis

Isn't this inquiry about a Muse recording?

You're right, though there also seems to a Black & Blue LP called Epistrophy. I believe the Muse album (MR 5002) hasn't been released on CD either.

[edit]

The album Mark is looking for seems to be a twofer with 2 original albums combined: Now's the Time from 1972 and Epistrophy from 1981.

Edited by J.A.W.

Muse MCD6005 according to Bruyninckx. The original album consisted of 2 performances; Epistrophy and Now's the Time. The cd added Highest Mountain.

Thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't checked Bruyninckx.

Sorry for the confusion, Mark.

They've gotten cut-outs of the cd Chuck mentions at Dusty Groove from time to time. I picked it up new a couple of years ago for about $5. I checked and they don't currently have it in stock new or used, but I've seen it relatively frequently there over the last 6-9 months. It's going for mad money on the Amazon Marketplace now. Had no idea it was THAT sought after.

Muse MCD6005 according to Bruyninckx. The original album consisted of 2 performances; Epistrophy and Now's the Time. The cd added Highest Mountain.

That was one helluva LP & one even more helluva CD.

Thanks Jim, that's helps a lot;-)

just looked it up, got it for 2,21 Euro early in 2008, hope that helps ;-)

Early 70s live recording, don't know if I'd call it "terrible" or not, though. Everybody was on fire that night, Clifford & Joe Bonner in particular. Add an incendiary-fairly-fresh-on-the-scene Marvin Peterson (he wasn't Hannibal yet) and sparks fly pretty much from jump.

That was one helluva LP & one even more helluva CD.

Thanks Jim, that's helps a lot;-)

There's a $38.95 buy-it-now on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nows-the-Time-Recorded-Live-at-Jazz-City-by-Richard-Bass-Davis-MINT-CD-/220961781315?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3372593643

But - it's also one of those "Best Offer" things. I'd come in at 20 and stand firm on 25, see what happens.

Haggle!

Who said "terrible"?

Sorry, you said "lousy" sound, not "terrible". My bad.

Not sure what the difference is, though. :)

And I could have separated the issue of sound quality from that of performance. Again, my bad.

I'll speak in defence of the original LP, I've had this a few years. Whilst it's not state of the art it's not muddy , sax left speaker, perhaps too distant from the rest of the band with trumpet right speaker. Mixing is not great but save for the piano all instruments are cleanly recorded. Th piano sounds quite distant I'd say if you're interested and see it at the right price ( like I did) then don't hesitate. If remixed from multitrack tapes I could see that could improve matters. Pressing the mono button does actually make the balance seem more natural.

A fair assessment from Clunky.

I think the audio gives a good rendition of a live date with its erratic conditions (I do not know the room - NY's Jazz City - where this was recorded). The engineer most probably had problems setting up for optimum conditions. I like the overall results (and the music!).

I have not tried listening to this in mono.