Rediscovering one's own collection...

Noj

For several years I've had a 160gb iPod for listening to my collection. The trouble is (which I'm sure it is for many here) my collection is much larger than 160gb of music. So a few days back I splurged and bought a second 160gb iPod to dedicate to jazz.

It's an opportunity to go through the whole collection and see what never made it onto previous iPods. I'm also taking the time to make sure every album has an image of the cover art. It's been a blast so far and I'm finding scores of albums I have neglected. This is a great way to rediscover one's own collection and break out of listening habits. Like shopping at home!

183384_1841447803975_1473985406_2014396_982140_n.jpg

For several years I've had a 160gb iPod for listening to my collection. The trouble is (which I'm sure it is for many here) my collection is much larger than 160gb of music. So a few days back I splurged and bought a second 160gb iPod to dedicate to jazz.

Did the exact same thing (right down to the emphasis on jazz on the 2nd 160gb) about four (?) years ago. Good times. :)

With Senuti, the ipods also provide an added layer of security in addition to our external hard drive.

Now put it on shuffle and try to identify everything that you hear. :)

I do that all the time when I'm working in the yard, where I sometimes listen for an hour or more without taking the ipod out of my pocket. When I finish working, I always click backward through the sequence of what I heard, so I can check my ability to ID things. I've never incorrectly identified anything. :excited:

:w

Fun Previn sketch!

I don't know the setups you guys have,

but wouldn't it be cheaper to just remove

the old and upload a new (jazz) playlist

when you get tired of the old one?

®ø∂

---

Now playing: Rodney Jones - Groovebone, Part 2/Last Call (Interlude) (Medley)

I've never incorrectly identified anything. :excited:

The BFT sub-forum says "Liar, liar, pants on fire!"

:P

Identifying tracks in one's own collection is a different ballgame than identifying artists on tracks that you may have never heard before. As opposed to Jim, I can easily fail the former test. :mellow: That often concerns one of the numerous discs that I acquired long ago, listened to once, and then forgot about. Having those tracks pop up in a random draw is a rude awakening about the the degree of overkill in my collection. :D

Edited by John L

@John L and Jim R, that's the plan!

I don't know the setups you guys have,

but wouldn't it be cheaper to just remove

the old and upload a new (jazz) playlist

when you get tired of the old one?

I did that for a while with the first iPod, but I wanted more room for jazz and for the various other genres on the first iPod. This way the playlist will be less predictable and will require less maintenance.

Just went through all my Booby and was shocked I'd never uploaded Medina/Spiral or Montara. Weird thing is my computer won't read Montara, even though the disc appears new.

Jim R, what's Senuti?

I did that for a while with the first iPod, but I wanted more room for jazz and

for the various other genres on the first iPod. This way the playlist will be less

predictable and will require less maintenance.

I've put up with the, for me, capacity limitations,

but the reality is that if I fill it with 14,000 tunes now,

I would have to listen for months to get thru them all,

so it's fun to just hit "autofill" every few weeks instead.

That way, it's always a good cross-section and a

wonderful surprise (and "re-discovery" as you say).

The "identity" game is one of the games on the

Classic iPod (under iQuiz -natch :P )

®ø∂

---

Now playing: Burl Ives - Big Rock Candy Mountain

Now put it on shuffle and try to identify everything that you hear. :)

I'd be surprised if I could identify even 10% of my tracks -- first, most CDs only get a listen or two and second, I have a terrible audible memory (or whatever you call it). I've gotten fairly good at identifying visual artists (painters) but even after all these years, I am hopeless at hearing musician's voices or what have you. Decided to opt out of BFTs since they just weren't any fun for me, and basically the shuffle idea doesn't hold any appeal either, since I would always be having to stop and look to see what piece was playing.

I listen to all my music via shuffle, and much of it without a visual - when I'm at my computer, I can see the track and cover in iTunes, when I'm in the car I can see track title and artist only, and in the shower it's only the music. I'm getting good at identifying lead musicians (this morning correctly identifying Charlie Hunter by his sound) and even which album the track is from (hearing a pianist that could be Tatum with a vibes player who isn't complicated or ornate and drums and perhaps no bassist led me to identify the Tatum - Hampton - Rich album). It's fun identifying alto saxists: Sonny Criss vs Art Pepper vs Lee Konitz for example, or realizing that the instrument that sounds higher than Konitz's alto is actually Warne Marsh's tenor.

I also like listening to music I can't immediately identify, because it leads me to listen to the music more, and decide if (and why) I like it.

I have 5 iPods (4 at 160, the oldest at 80)! My pockets bulge!

I just love being able to indulge a sudden whim when I'm not at home.

I'm not keen on a total shuffle. But I like setting up playlists to work on random. You can also set them not to repeat, specifying the time limit. Magic.

I've never incorrectly identified anything. :excited:

The BFT sub-forum says "Liar, liar, pants on fire!"

:P

Identifying tracks in one's own collection is a different ballgame than identifying artists on tracks that you may have never heard before. As opposed to Jim, I can easily fail the former test.

No no, Dan was actually telling the truth. I lied. :)

Noj, Senuti is the program (the one I have, at least) that allows you to transfer files from an iPod back into iTunes. After our hard drive crash a year ago, it was a life-saver. When I bought Senuti, it was only $18. Money well spent.

I enjoy shuffling- not just within a genre, but in all genres combined. My iPods seem to have an automatic built-in default feature of mixing what's played fairly evenly, so that I typically don't hear more than two songs in a row from any specific genre, and they usually play somewhat sequentially (jazz/blues/r&b/vocal/brazilian/pop/rock/etc) without any genre being left out for too long. I've noticed that this has held true pretty consistently even though my first ("eclectic") iPod, is more heavily weighted toward certain genres in terms of the number of files represented.

I have a feeling that the idea of carrying around your music

is going out the door fast. iOS/smartphone devices of all types

can get your tunes from the cloud. Beginning in '09, I stopped

even taking the classic iPod with me on trips. I've borrowed a

Touch (with no music) or, recently, an iPad and've accessed nearly

250,000 tunes from my home collection - sitting in a hotel room

over 5000 miles away...plus you have all of those other services

out there serving up tunes.

®ø∂

---

Now playing: Earl Van Dyke - The Whip-A-Rang

Yup! Audiogalaxy for a quite a while now. I forgot what I used before them,

but I used it during a wonderful summer and autumn and then Apple

bought them (not Lala) and I went searching desperately for an alternative.

A couple of years ago, I signed up for Grooveshark, but I couldn't get my

collection to connect with them - it would just stall and I never got past the first instructions.

They told me it was way too large for them to deal with and then apologized. :lol:

I hear that they charge a fee now.

®ø∂

---

Now playing: Edzayawa - Abonsan

I dunno when you guys find the time to upload all your CDs. I've got a 160 GB ipod and it's about a third or half full. It takes aeons to upload a CD and to make sure all the tags are consistent; eg if you spell Latin LATIN the ipod thinks it's a different genre and when you're scrolling through the gentres, you get forty-seven occurrences of Latin and LATIN, because it changes every time the tag changes. Ditto for artists. And having to have the internet connected while doing this is one helluvan easy way to get the PC to hang.

I never play stuff on shuffle. I play stuff I want to listen to.

MG

If I listened to my iPod stand alone, with earphones, I would probably want several, by genre. I could wheel to the playlist I want. But I listen to it plugged into my car's media hub, where I have to press a forward button through each entry in a set of playlists from A-Z until I get to what I want to hear. It can take a while to reach the playlists in the middle of the alphabet! I can start at A and go forward or at Z and go backward, but getting to K and L takes a while. It's not like wheeling to the right playlist. I could probably shuffle playlists but I don't. Should I order by album instead of playlist? I have a feeling I am not looking at this right.

Edited by Neal Pomea

I dunno when you guys find the time to upload all your CDs. I've got a 160 GB ipod and it's about a third or half full. It takes aeons to upload a CD and to make sure all the tags are consistent...

Aeons? I'm a nitpicker for accuracy when it comes to this -

especially since the tunes are part of an archive - and I've

had no problem averaging an upload of 600-700 recordings

a month - nearly a thousand in December alone. This month

is a little more sparse (at, as of now, only 382) because I have

2 audio projects, 1 video project and about 100 video and audio

files on my website that I'm in the middle of converting to HTML5

that I want done within the next week. So, when I look at a total of

24,008 albums that I've transferred over the last 3 years and know

that I can just plug in a 160GB iPod, hit "autofill" and in a few hours

have a diverse collection of work to listen to and do it whenever I want,

I see nothing but extreme ease of use that can be done anytime you wish.

®ø∂

---

Now playing: Inneke Kusumawati, Jopi R. Item & Band de Galaxies - Bila Teringat Padamu

I wonder if a 200 or 250 GB ipod will ever arrive? Or is the demand simply too small?

I want a 10 TB iPod.

I am not a Buddhist.

Does it come with a protective backpack?

I have been hoping for 250 or larger iPods for some time now. My iTunes has reached 1 TB, and I have been living away from my CD collection.

For a while, I thought that the demand for portable videos would justify its development. However, as others have posted, things seem to be moving in the opposite direction. Some are even predicting that Apple will stop manufacturing the 160 GB. Carrying music around in something other than a telephone is becoming very old fashioned.

I have been spending most of my time in Nigeria these days. It is interesting that the iPod never really took root here. After cassette players, people have always carried music only on mobile phones. When I am on a Nigerian airplane and a turn on my iPod, they often tell me to turn it off right away, thinking that it is a phone. When I tell them otherwise, they often don't believe me.

Edited by John L