Joel DiBartolo

thedwork

It's been 6-7 months now, but I just heard that an old friend of mine passed away late last September: Joel DiBartolo. Since it's been a little while, I thought maybe an "RIP" thread wasn't the way to go? I dunno.

But - I named a tune in tribute to Joel back in 2004. I was very fortunate to be able to work, play, and spend time with him from 1999-2001. We kept in touch a bit for a few years after I left Flagstaff, but I lost touch w/ him through the last few years. A great person and a great teacher/musician. Simply an amazing bass player in virtually any musical situation. He was also a hilarious storyteller and something of a philosopher; sharing his thoughts on marriage, the life of an artist, forgiveness, etc... Relentlessly pursuing his relationship w/ the bass in many contexts, that drive often rubbed off on his students. He'll be sorely missed by many.

This is a little video tribute to the man using the tune I named after him in 2004. It's a generic iMovie photo collage thingie. I tried to use as many photos as I could find, but I do end up repeating them. There are also photos of the players on the track.

What a pleasure it was spending time working/playing with him:

Caught him & Lin Biviano playing with Buddy Rich's band, and then again, about 8 months or so later, in Maynard's band. Both of them!

A few years pass & I'm checking out the Tonight Show in the Carson days, and who's on bass but Joel DiBartolo. Hey, THAT guy!

The thing I most remember from seeing him was that he always "led with his head" whil playing. Always leaning forward and smiling. always THERE where the music was.

Sorry to hear that he's gone, but it seems as if his was a life well-lived. So many aren't.

I remember seeing his name come up on bass forums back in the day, so I'm surprised that I didn't learn of his passing earlier. I always meant to check out the book he wrote for electric bass, but I never got around to it. RIP.

Edit: That's a nice tune and tribute video. Thanks for posting it.

Edited by Justin V

I remember seeing his name come up on bass forums back in the day, so I'm surprised that I didn't learn of his passing earlier. I always meant to check out the book he wrote for electric bass, but I never got around to it. RIP.

Edit: That's a nice tune and tribute video. Thanks for posting it.

thanks for the nice words Justin.

This must be the same Joel DiBartolo who played in one of the early Chuck Mangione groups (while still in Rochester) and later with the Tonight Show band, right?

Excellent player....

bigtiny

one and the same. excellent player, excellent guy.

Caught him & Lin Biviano playing with Buddy Rich's band, and then again, about 8 months or so later, in Maynard's band. Both of them!

A few years pass & I'm checking out the Tonight Show in the Carson days, and who's on bass but Joel DiBartolo. Hey, THAT guy!

The thing I most remember from seeing him was that he always "led with his head" whil playing. Always leaning forward and smiling. always THERE where the music was.

Sorry to hear that he's gone, but it seems as if his was a life well-lived. So many aren't.

and again thanks for the nice words JSngry. and you're right on a couple things here: he lived well. big time. and he also "led with his head." you writing that is a big tell that you indeed saw him play.

Edited by thedwork

1332951945' post='1184574']

I met Joel a couple of times when he was teaching at Northern AZ Univ. Sweet cat, and he had some great Buddy Rich stories! Including a framed scrap of crumpled paper, in Buddy's handwriting: " June 17, 1977 (or whatever the date was) the Buddy Rich Band is disbanded."

Apparently Buddy was so pissed at the band after the gig, he went back to the hotel, wrote out 15 identical slips of paper and distributed them to the guys the next morning as they got on the bus. They rode a few hours, got to the next job, played the job, and no be mentioned the firing again.

RIP, Joel. Thanks for the music and the stories!

I met Joel a couple of times when he was teaching at Northern AZ Univ. Sweet cat...

yeah dukecity. definitely a sweet cat. and if you met him a couple times @ NAU, if those times were between 1999 and 2001 you may have met me too if you were at his office in the school. good times...

Sorry to hear this. Joel used to come up to my attic room in Buffalo (early '60s) to listen to bass players in my collection. At the time he played with vibes Al Francis. I was happy to see him successful in years after that. R.I.P.

yeah, he was a buffalo boy. way cool you hung out with him back in the day checking out bassists. i wish i'd been there...

Edited by thedwork

Listening to Joel DiBartolo & Buddy Rich hook up right now on Buddy's Stick It album. Haven't heard this in close to 40 years, but DAMN, when the charts open up for some "rock" or "funk" blowing, Buddy's got his foot all the way up in it, as does Joel, who's giving Buddy every bit as much as good as he gets! Got to love that!