Great Bands You Saw Live

Miles Davis Sextet at Lennie's c. early 1967: Miles, Wayne Shorter, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter(?), Tony Williams. I asked Joe about it years later and he said he was Miles for about six weeks.

Also saw Eddie Gomez and Buster Williams replace Carter at times.

I'm sure this has been discussed before so forgive the interrruption, but have no bootlegs ever turned up of any gigs that Joe Henderson played with Miles' band?

Larry, I expected you to mention the Konitz, Atlas, Campbell gig.

That, too, though my memories of it are dimmer (that was a long time ago -- maybe 40 years?), but what I loved about the other one was the degree to which Jodie and Wilbur locked into what Lee wanted to do and carried him more or less beyond his "tenth level of paraphrase." And Rodby wasn't just along for the ride.

I could/should add some performances by Warne, but they're a blur of the marvelous. I did hear some of what's on "All Music" as it was recorded, but it was recorded.

Paul Butterfield at Central Park - 1969 - some variations of this band recorded, but not the exact band - with Dave Sanborn and Gene Dinwiddie on saxes, Phil Wilson on drums - but most unusually, Buzz Feiten on guitar - and Buzz played brilliantly, but never, AFAIK, recorded with this group.

also - Fillmore, '69 or so - Super Session with Bloomfield and Kooper - plus B B King, King was great but Bloomfield murdered him in a very interesting way.

Edited by AllenLowe

Paul Butterfield at Central Park - 1969 - some variations of this band recorded, but not the exact band - with Dave Sanborn and Gene Dinwiddie on saxes,

Dinwiddie has a great feature on one of the songs they did at Woodstock that didn't make the original film. I can't remember whether it's on the extra features of Woodstock or in Murray Lerner's Woodstock Diary DVD.

Heard a Sunny Murray led band with (as far as I can remember) with Alan Shorter, Charles Tyler, Marion Brown, Bennie Maupin, Grachan Moncur III, Joel Freedman, Henry Grimes, and at least one other musician whom I can't recall. Not a working band - just a band put together for a college gig in Buffalo. After the gig, I talked to Charles Tyler and he said that he, Sunny Murray, Joel Freedman, and Henry Grimes were going to Toronto for a gig there.

Edited by paul secor

At Slug's (1967), Jackie McLean quartet with Lamont Johnson, Scotty Holt AND Rashied Ali.

510KEqRk43L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKcdWYvZB-E

I heard a version of that quartet (I think a different drummer) at The Brown Shoe in Chicago. After a would-be virtuosic (IMO just show-off, rubber-bandy) solo by Scotty Holt, Jackie said pretty much to himself (I was close to the bandstand) "ridiculous shit." From that moment to this, I'm not sure in what sense he meant that.

At Slug's (1967), Jackie McLean quartet with Lamont Johnson, Scotty Holt AND Rashied Ali.

I heard a version of that quartet (I think a different drummer) at The Brown Shoe in Chicago. After a would-be virtuosic (IMO just show-off, rubber-bandy) solo by Scotty Holt, Jackie said pretty much to himself (I was close to the bandstand) "ridiculous shit." From that moment to this, I'm not sure in what sense he meant that.

FWIW, this quartet with Billy Higgins on drums can be heard on two SteepleChase records, "Dr. Jackle" and "Tune-Up," that both date to a one-nighter at the Left Bank Jazz Society in Baltimore on Dec. 18, 1966. The verite bootleg sound adds to what is already a more-raw-than-usual sounding Jackie -- great stuff but not for the faint of heart. Same quartet (w/Higgins) also recorded two standards in Feb. '67 for the Tribute to Charlie Parker Lp on RCA and then in March was the backbone for Jackie's "Old and New Gospel" with Ornette on Blue Note.

Hm. At the Brown Shoe on a Sunday in about 1965: McLean, Holt, piano, drums, and by the 2nd song or so, Wilbur Ware sat in and replaced Holt. Ware aroused some discomfort in Jackie but the music was still good. Could Larry and I have heard different sets on the same day?

I wrote part of a Coda column about Hill-Mitchell-Ware-Barker ca. 1966 or 67.

Konitz-Marsh-Eddie DeHaas-Wilbur Campbell were quite a quartet. Braxton with Kalaparusha, Jenkins, Charles Clark (bass), Barker. Best of all were Rollins-Walter Davis Jr.-Cecil McBee-Who was that drummer? for a week at the Jazz Showcase in 1972. Joe Segal said that Rollins week was the best live music he ever heard in his life and I feel similarly.

I wish I could listen back to the two weeks I played in 1987 with Joe Henderson and Johnny Griffin on the front line.

I wish someone would put these out:

John Coltrane Band

Lee Morgan (tp) John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter (ts)

unknown night club, NJ, August or September, 1959

Giant Steps

Naima

A Night In Tunisia

unknown title

John Coltrane Band

Freddie Hubbard (tp) John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter (ts) Tommy Flanagan, Cedar Walton (p) Ahmed Abdul-Malik, George Tucker (b) Elvin Jones (d)

"Birdland", NYC, September, 1959

Moment's Notice

Giant Steps

Naima

unknown title

Edited by Michael Weiss

As I think about the subject I am digging through my memories for bands assembled for the Chicago Jazz Festival. First is my grouping of Randy Weston, Johnny Griffin, Richard Davis and Art Blakey. Second might be a Jimmy Smith jam session with Bill Hardman, Junior Cook, Lou Donaldson and Ray Crawford - we tried for Blakey again but Jimmy wound up bringing Kenny Dixon.

Maybe more later.

As I think about the subject I am digging through my memories for bands assembled for the Chicago Jazz Festival. First is my grouping of Randy Weston, Johnny Griffin, Richard Davis and Art Blakey.

Luckily that one (or portions of it) was preserved, too!

Great concert - wish I had such memories!

As I think about the subject I am digging through my memories for bands assembled for the Chicago Jazz Festival. First is my grouping of Randy Weston, Johnny Griffin, Richard Davis and Art Blakey. Second might be a Jimmy Smith jam session with Bill Hardman, Junior Cook, Lou Donaldson and Ray Crawford - we tried for Blakey again but Jimmy wound up bringing Kenny Dixon.

Maybe more later.

Did you mean Ben Dixon?

even Sanborn played well.

He's got the chops, and he can be the real deal when he wants to be. And Night Music showed that he has big ears.

I agree; he respects the tradition. He's a big fan of Hemphill's and appeared on Berne's "Diminutive Mysteries", I believe.

I saw him headline at Radio City in 1989 (Anita Baker opened), and even though his band was playing what a lot here my consider fluff, he was blowing his ass off.

A few of us saw Art Blakey's Keystone Korner Holiday Jazz Festival celebrations back in the day(late 70's--I have Dec.31,1979)--

The band I saw:

Eddie Henderson, Jackie McLean,Billy Harper, Curtis Fuller, Cedar Walton, Dennis Irwin, Airto & Art Blakey. More guesting with Valerie Ponomarev, David Schnitter, Bobby Watson & James Williams :)

A few of us saw Art Blakey's Keystone Korner Holiday Jazz Festival celebrations back in the day(late 70's--I have Dec.31,1979)--

The band I saw:

Eddie Henderson, Jackie McLean,Billy Harper, Curtis Fuller, Cedar Walton, Dennis Irwin, Airto & Art Blakey. More guesting with Valerie Ponomarev, David Schnitter, Bobby Watson & James Williams :)

I think it was summer of 1975 when I saw Blakey with Schnitter, Shunzu Ohno, Walter Davis, and not sure who on bass at the Top of the Gate. Around 1AM three guys with instrument cases marched through the tables to the stage and you should have seen Bu's face light up with joy and amazement: it was Shorter, Hubbard and Fuller. I think maybe VSOP had played at Wein's NY festival earlier that evening.