Most Disappointing No-Shows

Pete C

I had a no-show that turned out great- can I squeeze it in? In April 1974, I went to see Soony Rollins at Carnegie Hall. His special guest was supposed to be Freddie Hubbard(him again),but alas FH was a no-show. Instead, Mingus & Diz showed up!!! What followed was a rollicking set that tore the roof off the joint!

Not the artists fault, but two years ago James Moody was supposed to play the Blue Note in New York. He didn't. He had surgery for his cancer. But the Blue Note still billed it as James Moody and his band. I went expecting to see him. I even asked when making my reservations, "I heard he just had surgery. Is James Moody still playing?" I was told yes, but his replacements were Eric Alexander, Antonio Hart and Chris Potter. All three were very good, but having the club lie wasn't too nice. Eve when I arrived at the club the posters on the door made it seem Moody would be playing.

I had a no-show that turned out great- can I squeeze it in? In April 1974, I went to see Soony Rollins at Carnegie Hall. His special guest was supposed to be Freddie Hubbard(him again),but alas FH was a no-show. Instead, Mingus & Diz showed up!!! What followed was a rollicking set that tore the roof off the joint!

I was there. No recordings have ever surfaced.

Not the artists fault, but two years ago James Moody was supposed to play the Blue Note in New York. He didn't. He had surgery for his cancer. But the Blue Note still billed it as James Moody and his band. I went expecting to see him. I even asked when making my reservations, "I heard he just had surgery. Is James Moody still playing?" I was told yes, but his replacements were Eric Alexander, Antonio Hart and Chris Potter. All three were very good, but having the club lie wasn't too nice. Eve when I arrived at the club the posters on the door made it seem Moody would be playing.

that's the Blue Note for you!! would never trust them. someone has to really attract me strongly before i'll go there. hate the way they do business and always have.

Band On The Wall in Manchester in 1998. Gene Harris and Stanley Turrentine - I don't remember why Stanley didn't show, but it was still a motherfucker of a night.

BillF - were you there?

No. Didn't hear about that one. A friend of mine saw S.T. at Ronnie Scott's and said he was old and ailing. Perhaps that was the same tour.

Was hoping to see Von Freeman and Ed Peterson do one of their tenor battles at the Green Mill in Dec. Weather was threatening, so I called the club. Oh sure, of course, they'll be on tonight. (Acted like I was stupid for asking. It's Chicago, dumb-ass, what's a bit of bad weather.) We had a huge-ass blizzard. Obviously, the show was canceled. I think I actually did drag myself to the club only to find no one was there (didn't have a cell phone at the time), but maybe that is a false memory and I am just making it overly dramatic.

Was hoping to see Von Freeman and Ed Peterson do one of their tenor battles at the Green Mill in Dec. Weather was threatening, so I called the club. Oh sure, of course, they'll be on tonight. (Acted like I was stupid for asking. It's Chicago, dumb-ass, what's a bit of bad weather.) We had a huge-ass blizzard. Obviously, the show was canceled. I think I actually did drag myself to the club only to find no one was there (didn't have a cell phone at the time), but maybe that is a false memory and I am just making it overly dramatic.

What year?

What year?

Well, I think it was actually the (Jan) 1999 blizzard, so maybe I called them Dec. 31 or even Jan. 1. It was a while ago.

Well, who else but Chet Baker.....?

It was in 1983 and he was scheduled to play with Joe Farrell, Joanne Brackeen with her trio. It was called a "Trumpet Summit" with three groups. First was Wynton Marsalis, the should be Chet Baker, when the emcee announced that he didn´t leave Rome, so Joe Farrell played without him, and the last was Diz with Harold Land.

The second no-show was Art Blakey in 1988. When I arrived at the venue where he was to play, we got the money for our tickets back, they announced something like he had to go back to the States because some pet of him was ill....

One month later he played at another venue, we didn´t have to pay for the tickets again.

Funny thing: I used to play as a semi-professional from the late 70´until the early 90´and the last time I was supposed to play was some kind of local "Thelonious Monk Memorial night". Various musicians, even advertised who would play what tune, if I remember rite. I remember I was supposed to do "Round Midnight" and a few other things, maybe "Off Minor" or stuff like that, but during that time it was winter and so much snow I couldn´t get my car out. Anyway during that time I was sick with all that stuff..... having a day job and a night job started to take it´s toll.....

Band On The Wall in Manchester in 1998. Gene Harris and Stanley Turrentine - I don't remember why Stanley didn't show, but it was still a motherfucker of a night.

BillF - were you there?

No. Didn't hear about that one. A friend of mine saw S.T. at Ronnie Scott's and said he was old and ailing. Perhaps that was the same tour.

That was the same year I saw the hand-made village hall sign advertising a Stanley Turrentine + backing band gig that night in the middle of nowhere, not far from Culloden Moor ! Talk about unexpected, nearly crashed the car with shock :(

Edited by sidewinder

The first concert I went to in my life (outside of what my parents dragged me to) was a double bill of the Billy Cobham/George Duke band and Tony Williams Lifetime at I think it was called the Academy of Music at the time (on 14th Street, later it was the Palladium). I think I was all of 11 or so.

Allan Holdsworth was supposed to be on guitar but he had visa issues and didn't make it......I can't remember who the sub was.....

The first concert I went to in my life (outside of what my parents dragged me to) was a double bill of the Billy Cobham/George Duke band and Tony Williams Lifetime at I think it was called the Academy of Music at the time (on 14th Street, later it was the Palladium). I think I was all of 11 or so.

Allan Holdsworth was supposed to be on guitar but he had visa issues and didn't make it......I can't remember who the sub was.....

ah, i had forgotten about the Academy of Music. i remember it from the '60s when i lived in the East Village. that's when my friends and i thought we would get a nosebleed if we went above 14th street!! LOL!!

I missed Dennis Gonzalez, Hugh Hopper and Elton Dean at Downtown Music Gallery due to the big blackout of 2003. I heard that Hopper borrowed an acoustic guitar for the gig since he couldn't play electric bass.

Hey, I was at that gig!

Hopper tried in vain to find an acoustic bass. A woman ran a mile or two to her apartment to get her acoustic guitar for him to borrow.

Heard excellent reports about that show from those who were there.

The Ohio Players, concert in Waco, 1979. I was in the local opening band. Gig was gonna pay a bill and a half. Got all excited, drove from Denton to Waco to the venue...nobody was there. Gig was cancelled, didn't you guys hear? No this is Waco, we're from Denton, where's the promoter, anyway, we gotta get something out of this!

Ah, the naivete of youth...

Edited by JSngry