Edgewood Sax Quartet

jeffcrom

2175610608-1.jpg

I wanted to warn you all about the new ensemble that's about to be inflicted on the world. The Edgewood Sax Quartet will make its debut on Friday the 13th of April at WonderRoot Arts Center in Atlanta. Four of Atlanta's best saxophonists (well, three of the best plus me) will be presenting a program of music that's kind of all over the place stylistically, although it's mostly jazz-based. We'll be playing my off-center originals, a couple of Ornette tunes, some Steve Lacy (including Steve's arrangement of "Staples" that I stole from the back of the Saxophone Special album), and my arrangement of Dizzy Gillespie's "That's Earl, Brother" featuring a lost Charlie Parker solo in four-part harmony.

I know that few of you live anywhere near the creative music wasteland that is Atlanta, but I'd love to see some of you there.

Jeff - this is some good stuff! And the recording is really good too, considering that it was not intended for release. I've got a lot of professional recordings that don't sound this clear (and I'm listening through headphones/earbuds).

I won't be able to attend the WonderRoot gig, but hopefully I can catch a performance somewhere down the line.

BTW: I always thought Ornette's "The Legend of Bebop" would sound good in a sax quartet arrangement. Don't know why that song never caught on as a standard.

The debut performance was sloppy as hell, but with lots of spirit, and the decent-sized audience dug it. I think my favorite part was a a collaboration with another ensemble. Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel, an Atlanta group that is exactly what the name says, was on the bill, and we played my arrangement of Steve Lacy's "Dreams" over their other-worldly improvisation. We just need to play in front of people a lot, and that's not going to be easy in Atlanta.

Thanks to all for the nice comments about the rehearsal clips.

• 3 months later...

The Edgewood Sax Quartet had our second performance tonight - a full-length concert in a wonderful performance space, a stone-and-wood church where I've enjoyed performances by Evan Parker, Sam Rivers, David Ware, and the Peter Brotzmann Tentet. I probably should have mentioned it here beforehand, but I was pretty nervous about it, considering how sloppy our first show was.

This one was, I think, everything I thought this group could be. It was recorded by one of Atlanta's best recording engineers, so I'll see if it really as good as I thought. Maybe some it is even releasable.

• 3 weeks later...