MLB 2012 Season

Season started tonight in the new Miami stadium (it really should start in Cincinnati, but that's another story), and it was sad to see Muhammad Ali in such a state. I think the crowd went into shock after they realized the physical toll that the Parkinson's disease had taken. Can't say I was too impressed with the "new look" Marlins, but St. Louis looked okay.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can tell on tv, looks like a beautiful stadium, much better than where they have played. Uniforms are pretty ugly but I guess we'll get used to them.

Mets season starts tomorrow. Can't be any worse than the pre-season. I think they finished at 9-20. Jason Bay had 0 RBIs. That is not a typo.

From what I can tell on tv, looks like a beautiful stadium, much better than where they have played. Uniforms are pretty ugly but I guess we'll get used to them.

Mets season starts tomorrow. Can't be any worse than the pre-season. I think they finished at 9-20. Jason Bay had 0 RBIs. That is not a typo.

that mets veteran knuckle ball pitcher is one incredible special human being. there is a fine new book about him just out.

how come folks aren't making their predictions??? :shrug[1]:

If I had time, I'd go into details...

anywho...

AL EAST Rays win division, Yanks get in one of those wildcard thingys

AL CENTRAL Tigers of course....

AL WEST Man, tough to figure who will win. May come down to health. Angels probably have the better offense, but the Rangers not only have at least as good starting pitching (Darvish may be the best starter on the team, really looked impressive in the ST games), but have people like Ogando, that should be starting(at least on many other teams) back in the Pen. Don't think the Angels can withstand losing a starter .

So...Rangers win the division, Angels w.c.(are there more Playoff teams?)

NL EAST Phils win Division by a nose. But if there offense is slow to start, the Nats may win division (or Marlins, braves are in trouble)Gutsy call? One of three will get W.C. :rolleyes:

NL CENTRAL, Cards again. Reds may surprise.

NL WEST Diamondbacks again. Reds for W.C.

Question - can both WC teams come from the same division?? or is it one per division? I'm assuming that two can come fron the same division so.....

AL

East - Red Sox

Central - Tigers

West - Rangers

WC - Angels & Yanks

NL

East - Nationals

Centrals - Cards

West - Giants

WC - Braves, Marlins

The Phillies are in trouble. But their pitching should keep them in it. However, I don't think it will be enough to offset the loss of Howard and Utley .

Really dislike that they have expanded the playoff format yet again.

5 excellent innings from The Inner Colby Lewis today, the hip looked fine, and he was mostly hitting his spots, which is the key to his success. The 6th saw him give up two, but the Rangers came back for the lead in the bottom half and held it thanks to Ogando (who looked phanpukkingtastic....OGANDO!!!!!), Adams (who caused a bit of anxiety but got it done, and new closer Joe Nathan, who looked like...a damn good closer!

No way this team gets to the series three years in a row, and who knows what injuries lie in store, but the team who showed up today looked like the rangers of the last two years, which means fun baseball. Don't know if I have it in me to invest the emotion in this season as I did the last, especially knowing how nearly-impossible to get back to the Series will be, but...today's game gave me no reason to back off or bump it down. BOOM goes the dynamite, and UP goes the blood pressure. I can feel it happening already!

And jeez, I wish I could run again....give me one more chance to come up with a diving stab at a well hit line drive and I can die a happy man right then and there. And probably would!

No way this team gets to the series three years in a row, and who knows what injuries lie in store, but the team who showed up today looked like the rangers of the last two years, which means fun baseball. Don't know if I have it in me to invest the emotion in this season as I did the last, especially knowing how nearly-impossible to get back to the Series will be....

Trying some ol' reverse psychology eh? ;)

And jeez, I wish I could run again....give me one more chance to come up with a diving stab at a well hit line drive and I can die a happy man right then and there. And probably would!

Yeah, it's weird when the thought crosses your mind to run, but you KNOW that wouldn't be a good idea...

Yeah, Yoenis Céspedes is a bit of a showboat, but so what? I've seen a lot worse(Soriano) from guys hitting a ball 1 foot over the fence, or with Barry Bonds when the ball didn't leave the park.

Anyway, check out this monster shot to center in Oakland...a reason for Oakland fans to be excited! :excited:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20411309&c_id=mlb

Edited by BERIGAN

No way this team gets to the series three years in a row, and who knows what injuries lie in store, but the team who showed up today looked like the rangers of the last two years, which means fun baseball. Don't know if I have it in me to invest the emotion in this season as I did the last, especially knowing how nearly-impossible to get back to the Series will be....

Trying some ol' reverse psychology eh? ;)

On myself, yeah. Last season was...extremely intense for me personally. Don't know if this one needs to be quite as much so.

Besides, getting to the Series three years in a row? Not likely by any rational/reasonable standard.

Now, next season... :g

NIce to see the Yankees off to another great start. Poor managing, poor starting pitching, worse relief pitching and untimely hitting have combined for a flaccid 0-2 beginning to the 2012 campaign. Glad the slimmed down and trimmed up Mark Teixeira is off on the right foot, batting a cool .000 after six official plate appearances. Maybe he should look more seriously into that bunting idea he espoused during Spring training. Between him and A-Rod, the Yanks are on the hook for an awful lot of money for the production they could easily be getting out of guys who cost about 20% of what they're paying these two. Hopefully, the new look Phil Hughes can pull us up by our own bootstraps tomorrow afternoon. Leaving Tampa 0-3 would be unacceptable. I am unhappy. I am disgruntled. Not to the level of unhappy, disgruntled Dan, but damn friggin' close.