MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw a replay of the umpire's missed call on the Beltran shot. I gotta say that as a lifelong Mets fan, I am of course ecstatic about the no-hitter. But in my mind, this one is now marred by what obviously should have been a hit. So, the Mets still have no no-no's.

The Dodgers' Kemp is on the DL and the team gets swept by the Brew-has. Four game sweep.

I read someplace today that the teams in MLB are paying out $3.1 million a day to players who are on the DL.

When you consider the overall revenue stream maintained by MLB teams, this is mere pocket change.

I just saw a replay of the umpire's missed call on the Beltran shot. I gotta say that as a lifelong Mets fan, I am of course ecstatic about the no-hitter. But in my mind, this one is now marred by what obviously should have been a hit. So, the Mets still have no no-no's.

Yep. I just saw the video. That was definitely a hit. Instant replay would corrected that blown call as it would have corrected the bad call in Galarraga's "perfect" game from two years ago. Still a pretty good performance by Santana.

The Dodgers' Kemp is on the DL and the team gets swept by the Brew-has. Four game sweep.

I read someplace today that the teams in MLB are paying out $3.1 million a day to players who are on the DL.

Doesn't surprise me.

And I want to clarify my earlier remarks: At no time do root for or want any player to get hurt.

I just didn't like the way my comment read.

Over 8000 starts by Mets pitchers w/o a no-no

The Padres are now the only team without a no-no.

Really?

Even when Latos was on the team...? Wow. That is a surprise to me.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Here's a list of 25 players by position who are currently on the DL. You could make a fair to middlin' team out of the guys in this group.

C: Carlos Santana, Jonathan Lucroy

1B: Ryan Howard, Lance Berkman

2B: Chase Utley, Brian Roberts

SS: Troy Tulowitzki

3B: Chipper Jones, Evan Longoria

DH: Victor Martinez

LF: Carl Crawford

CF: Matt Kemp, Jacoby Ellsbury

RF: Jayson Werth

SP: Roy Halladay, Jered Weaver, Michael Pineda, Chris Carpenter, Neftali Feliz

RP: Mariano Rivera, Brian Wilson, Joakim Soria, Ryan Madson, Andrew Bailey, David Robertson

Edited by Dave James

The Padres are now the only team without a no-no.

Really?

Even when Latos was on the team...? Wow. That is a surprise to me.

He threw a 1 hitter for them in 2010, allowing a hit in the 6th.

19 times in franchise history a Padre pitcher took a no hitter into the 8th. The closest one came in 1972 when Steve Arlin allowed a single to Denny Doyle with 2 outs in the 9th.

While Googling Randy Jones (who in '75 threw 2 one hitters) I came across something rarer than a no hitter. An 89 minute game when Jones faced Jim Kaat in '77. Now that's fast work!

Edited by Quincy

Awesome sports day for me in NY --

Mets win

Yankees lose

Can't get any better!

Even though the Yanks lost to Detroit tonight, it was a hell of a game. The top of the 8th was one for the ages. New York sent 13 guys to the plate but scored only one run on two walks, two hit batters and a single single. The bases were loaded with no one out, but Cano, Tiexiera, and then Ibanez, all failed to deliver. A microcosm of the Yank's 2012 season. With a beaver on every log in 2010 and 2011, the team hit in the mid-.300's. This year, it's clocking a .155 average. Another game that was there for the taking but wound up an "L".

Meanwhile, over in the AL Worst, the first & second place teams spent Saturday night trying to give each other the ballgame. 3-2 was not only the final score, but it was also the tally of errors. Sadly for me, the Rangers won the error contest. I sure will be happy when they break outta this slump. May has seeped into June, and that's never a good sign.....

Here's a list of 25 players by position who are currently on the DL. You could make a fair to middlin' team out of the guys in this group.

RP: Mariano Rivera, Brian Wilson, Joakim Soria, Ryan Madson, Andrew Bailey, David Robertson

You left off Pablo Sandoval and Freddy Sanchez.

Just sayin'.

Edited by GoodSpeak

You left off Pablo Sanchez.

Just sayin'.

And about 7 or 8 Mets!

Hey Goodie, how's Pagan doing over there? Torres is batting like .211! Heard an interview with him the other day on the radio with the local NYC blowhard, Mike Francesa. I did not know that he was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult. Apparently, he was experiencing problems with it since childhood, but was never correctly diagnosed. The NYU Film school has done a documentary on him and his plight called "Gigante".

Meanwhile, over in the AL Worst, the first & second place teams spent Saturday night trying to give each other the ballgame. 3-2 was not only the final score, but it was also the tally of errors. Sadly for me, the Rangers won the error contest. I sure will be happy when they break outta this slump. May has seeped into June, and that's never a good sign.....

Good game today to hopefully end this most dismal and horrifying of ebbs. Win or lose, seeing Rangers Baseball is always a treat. Watching the Rangers just play baseball...sometimes not so much. Today we saw Rangers Baseball, although I wasn't completely sure of it until the game was over. If there's such a thing as Battered Fan Syndrome, we've got it after this past week.

Whatever dreams there were of burying the Angels in the standings before they began playing to potential are gone, though. The Angels are awake, quite able, and playing with confidence. Vernon Wells going on the DL & forcing the promotion of Mike Trout was the best thing that could have happened to them (if not to Wells himself). I still think the Rangers have the better overall team, but they will have to not zone out any more if that's going to manifest itself.

Especially when it comes to the pitchers getting the third out. This last week was beyond surreal in that regard. When Ogando got Pujols to fly out with the bases loaded in the 7th (all runners getting on after two were out), it was like a curse was being lifted. When the Rangers came through with two more in the top of the9th, it was like the mojo was finally waking up.

Of course, it's all really just the Random Factor at work, all of it, but that's just no fun!

Barry Zito, of all people, pitched a great game yesterday, going eight full innings before being taken out after walking a batter in the ninth. Zito's 5-2 now, and looking very good, as are the Giants. With Kemp out for the Dodgers, the Giants are well positioned to make up a lot of games on The Blue in the next couple of weeks. The Rangers come into San Francisco for a weekend series this Friday that will be a fun series to watch. AT&T Park will absolutely mess with their minds, they'll be hitting these bombs that will die in the outfield, if Hamilton doesn't pull it down the right field line, he'll just be making long outs for the series. It's going to be interesting, that's for sure, can't wait for it to begin.

You left off Pablo Sanchez.

Just sayin'.

And about 7 or 8 Mets!

Hey Goodie, how's Pagan doing over there? Torres is batting like .211! Heard an interview with him the other day on the radio with the local NYC blowhard, Mike Francesa. I did not know that he was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult. Apparently, he was experiencing problems with it since childhood, but was never correctly diagnosed. The NYU Film school has done a documentary on him and his plight called "Gigante".

So far, Pagan has been a boost to the defense and is speedy fast on the basepaths [scoring from 1B on a single yesterday]. His hitting has improved since the start of the season and is just a little better at the plate than Torres was. Hope it gets even better from here.

Barry Zito, of all people, pitched a great game yesterday, going eight full innings before being taken out after walking a batter in the ninth. Zito's 5-2 now, and looking very good, as are the Giants. With Kemp out for the Dodgers, the Giants are well positioned to make up a lot of games on The Blue in the next couple of weeks. The Rangers come into San Francisco for a weekend series this Friday that will be a fun series to watch. AT&T Park will absolutely mess with their minds, they'll be hitting these bombs that will die in the outfield, if Hamilton doesn't pull it down the right field line, he'll just be making long outs for the series. It's going to be interesting, that's for sure, can't wait for it to begin.

Giants are doing OK right now...and you're right: Fly balls just die in that ballpark. It's the wind that curls over the stands on the 1B side of the field that pushes the ball down. Triple Alley, as it's called in right center, is a long way to go for a HR. OTOH, if the ball gets by the OFer anything can happen.

Rangers are a tough out, though, so nothing is stamped in granite at this point. By the time the Dodgers come to town, and with any luck, it will be a battle to see who stays in 1st. I'm planning on going to that series. :excited:

Edited by GoodSpeak