MLB 2012 Season

Looked like a strike to me...and one really nasty curve ball!

It was a bullshit call.

But no matter...the Giants sweep the Dodgers by shutting them out all three games. First time in the storied rivalry's 130 year history.

The June Swoon is complete. :g

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note the completely vertical arm slot when the ball is released. That is the very definition of a 12 to 6 yakker.

Moving right along, I see the Yankees put both C.C. and Andy Pettitte on the DL today. It looks like Sabbathia mght only miss a couple of starts but Andy has a fracture in his left ankle. Could be a lot longer for him, especially at his age. That's really going to put some pressure on the guys in the high minors. Not only that, but because need defines value, the asking price for pitching before the trade deadline just went up exponentially. The Yanks are 19-5 during June, so they can't get much better. With these latest pitching woes, they could, unfortunately, get much worse.

Note the completely vertical arm slot when the ball is released. That is the very definition of a 12 to 6 yakker.

It was a curve disquised as a bean ball.

If Blanco stood there and got hit, Mattingly would have been out there whining how he didn't attempt to get out of the way.

It was a bullshit call.

So? That doesn't automatically make it a strike!

The only pitcher I saw who threw this consistently for a real strike was Dwight Gooden.

Umps are lazy today. It's basically the same for when your cleat is within 5 feet of 2nd base on a double play relay.

Holy shit...

KershawWhat.gif.opt.gif

I believe they call that kind of curve a Koufax! ^_^ And if a Catcher catches a ball where he did(below the belt, a little to the right behind the plate) and it wasn't a strike when it crossed the plate...then Clayton's curve is the best ever...it was a strike.

Anyway...some stats that are kind of mind blowing, IMO....

who is leading the NL in hitting??? A Catcher…a 33 year old catcher…on a last place team….......................................................................................................

Carlos Ruiz, at .364…amazing!

was looking at Adam Dunn’s numbers. these are wild. after a big day yesterday(after slumping for awhile) 24 HR’s 57 RBI’s, which projects out to 52 HRs and 123 RBIs…Pretty darned nice, right??? What’s his B.A right now???? .216!!!! How do you do that???

Quincy, oh QUUUUINNNNCCCCYYYYY!!!! Only you can find out for me....who had the most RBI's with the lowest B.A for a season???? :shrug[1]:

Edited by BERIGAN

Carlos Ruiz, at .364…amazing!

I have him on my fantasy team. He wasn't even drafted. Nerk nerk nerk.

was looking at Adam Dunn’s numbers. these are wild. after a big day yesterday(after slumping for awhile) 24 HR’s 57 RBI’s, which projects out to 52 HRs and 123 RBIs…Pretty darned nice, right??? What’s his B.A right now???? .216!!!! How do you do that???

Quincy, oh QUUUUINNNNCCCCYYYYY!!!! Only you can find out for me....who had the most RBI's with the lowest B.A for a season???? :shrug[1]:

If you mean an RBI seasonal leader with the worst average, you can probably figure it out. Think back to when the mound was higher & ERAs lower. A big boned fella who played up north. The Killer, Harmon Killebrew hit .243 in 1962 leading the AL with 126 RBI. Cecil Fielder hit .244 for the Tigers in '92 with 124.

But if you want really a really low bat batting averages by a guy who knocked in over 100, Tony Armas is probably your man. In 1983 for the Red Sox he hit 36 HR, knocked in 107 while batting .207. No wonder Red Sox fans are so batty. ;)

Though he never had the high RBI totals, for HR power & low batting average, I'm sure a bunch of us here immediately thought of Rob Deer.

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with the resilience - and depth - the Rangers are showing in the face of all the injuries and that godawful late May/early June stretch. I was at the games last night & Wednesday. Neither were pretty, and neither were easy (and the bullpen was used heavily in both games), but they got it done both times. Not at all crisp, but hey. The offense seems to be slowly but surely coming back around too, which is good, because in this 100+ degree heat, unless you got a starter who's in the groove (and hopefully Matt Harrison can get there tonight), it's going to get sloppy and you need some runs. The Wednesday night game against the Tigers was 11-9 going into the bottom of the 8th, and last night's game had the tying run on third with one out in the 9th. And last night's game went almost four hours, with everybody throwing a lot of pitches damn near every inning - and working slowly while doing it. I got exhausted just sitting there watching it!

Now, if only those Angels would cool off...not gonna happen, though. They're as hot as anybody right now, and no reason to think it won't stay so for a good while more.

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with the resilience - and depth - the Rangers are showing in the face of all the injuries and that godawful late May/early June stretch. I was at the games last night & Wednesday. Neither were pretty, and neither were easy (and the bullpen was used heavily in both games), but they got it done both times. Not at all crisp, but hey. The offense seems to be slowly but surely coming back around too, which is good, because in this 100+ degree heat, unless you got a starter who's in the groove (and hopefully Matt Harrison can get there tonight), it's going to get sloppy and you need some runs. The Wednesday night game against the Tigers was 11-9 going into the bottom of the 8th, and last night's game had the tying run on third with one out in the 9th. And last night's game went almost four hours, with everybody throwing a lot of pitches damn near every inning - and working slowly while doing it. I got exhausted just sitting there watching it!

Now, if only those Angels would cool off...not gonna happen, though. They're as hot as anybody right now, and no reason to think it won't stay so for a good while more.

I figure it's going to be a tight race in both the NL and AL West Divisions the rest of the way.

Good news is that'll make for some great baseball from here to October. BTW...any "bad mojo" you can send the Dodgers' way will be most appreciated, too. :g

Edited by GoodSpeak

Giants got thumped last night, but the good news is the Mets beat the Dodgers; still in 1st place.

Dickey first to 12. He really is a gamer. He showed me something when he hit the Dodgers' shortstop with a pitch after Harang intentionally hit the Mets' shortstop who had gone 3-3 against him to that point. More bullshit baseball from immature little boys. This is the bravado nonsense that needs to stop being taught at the college level. Oh, but wait.....that's another thread!

It never made sense for Thome to return to the National League, even to rejoin father figure Charlie Manuel.

True, but it seems like it was done almost as a favor to sub until Ryan Howard was ready, then off he goes. And he won't have to move his stuff very far either. ^_^

Watched the Yankees' Old Timers Game today - believe it was the 66th.

Whatever your feelings about the Yankees, they do a great job of bringing back former players, both so the fans can see them again and so that the players can have a yearly reunion. Seeing Mickey Rivers at the plate always brings a smile to my face.