MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank to your Indians stepping up against the Angels, a 19-2 blowout might as well been a 1-0 cliffhanger for all the difference it made in the standings.

Go Tribe!!!

The longer term concern for Rangers fans would be the complete and total meltdown of Roy Oswalt. It's been awhile since I've seen a line like the one he put up last night.

It's not a meltdown, it's the way he is now.

I told you when we signed him that it was questionable in my mind what contribution he would be able to make. He's a stopgap 5th starter at best, and 2-1 so far. Colby Lewis & Derek Holland both get back off the DL, it'll be interesting to see how they use him. Somebody's got to take Scott Feldamn's place unless/until Feliz gets back (I don't think he's going to be rushed, and I'm glad about that), and it may or may not be Oswalt. Rumors are flying about Greinke coming in as a rental, but...who knows?

I hate not having five dependable starters, but that a, uh..."Good Team Problem", so I'll keep my angst (mostly) to myself. :g

It's sad for me as a baseball fan to see what Lincecum is going through, I loved to watch him pitch with that funky delivery(maybe a cause of his problems?) and wicked changeup. Yesterday, another guy who showed great promise, had early success and then faded out retired at 30 years old- Dontrelle Willis.

Well Cliff Lee got his first win of the season today.

Was at that game today. What impressed me was that Lee was the first guy on the field each inning, stretching and getting loose while he waited for his catch and infielders to get there. Plus, while he didn't get a hit (at least that I remember), he had a sacrifice bunt and ran hard when he did hit the call. Admirable on a hot day.

Yesterday, Lincecum got shelled....again.

Today, Bumgarner got lit up.

What in the hell is going on here? Grrrrr :angry:

This just in from the San Francisco Giants Ministry Of Propaganda: It's the heat.....

In that case, it's been hot all year for Lincecum.

It's sad for me as a baseball fan to see what Lincecum is going through, I loved to watch him pitch with that funky delivery(maybe a cause of his problems?) and wicked changeup. Yesterday, another guy who showed great promise, had early success and then faded out retired at 30 years old- Dontrelle Willis.

Personally, I think he just got lazy after getting that huge contract; ala Zito.

The other thing is I think his ego [and a heavy dose of Zito] caused his attitude towards the game to fade into a haze of marijuana smoke.

He needs to pull it together or end up in someplace like Seattle, er...no, wait. That's it!

You could not have had a better night than Chipper Jones did Tuesday, but you might have missed it. Baseball tonight wasn't even on at 10 Pm, they had one of those ultra rare W.S. of Poker on instead. Then at midnight, they decided it was so important, they mentioned it 5 minutes before the end of the broadcast. :angry: Remind me again how many 40 year olds start the majority of their teams games again??? And how many 40 Y.O.s have gone 5 for 5, with 1 SB, 2 Doubles and 4 RBI's? http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22816861&topic_id=8878972&c_id=atl

Oh, he also made an amazing defensive play, not on that clip, the same kind of throwing while moving away from 3rd that blew out his knee in Houston a few years back.

Edited by BERIGAN

Diagnosing Time Lincecum: http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/7/5/3137591/tim-lincecum-stats-splits-giants

Some very interesting statistical breakdowns here.

Amazing how many different ways you can break down a baseball player...don't think you could do the same thing in basketball or football.

Anyway, there are some very interesting stats there....found an interesting comment on that page that explains the how, if not the why...

I don't think the problem is mechanical

and I don’t think that the best split is “bases empty vs runners on”

In the chart below, RISPa means less stressful RISP situations: just a man on second, just a man on third, or a man on first and second.

RISPb means more stressful situations: bases loaded, men on second and third, or men on first and third.

Year PA AVG OBP SLG BABIP K/PA BB/PA HR/PA 2007-11,Empty 2459 0.231 0.305 0.338 0.311 0.264 0.091 0.014 2007-11,1bOnly 794 0.213 0.259 0.334 0.286 0.273 0.068 0.019 2007-11,RISPa 753 0.212 0.293 0.318 0.276 0.259 0.097 0.019 2007-11,RISPb 245 0.210 0.299 0.330 0.271 0.269 0.114 0.012 2012,Empty 229 0.244 0.310 0.421 0.331 0.293 0.083 0.026 2012,1bOnly 60 0.226 0.281 0.321 0.297 0.250 0.067 0.017 2012,RISPa 97 0.276 0.427 0.447 0.317 0.124 0.206 0.010 2012,RISPb 38 0.414 0.474 0.724 0.458 0.184 0.158 0.026

So – as the article showed, Timmy’s pitched like a front-line starter, reasonably close to career norms, with the bases empty.

With just a man on first, he’s pitched even better. (those excellent numbers get mixed in with his RISP disasters if one just examines all “men on base” scenarios)

In relatively less pressure RISP situations, he stops striking guys out, and walks everybody.

With the bases loaded other or more pressure situation – that were shit gets really crazy, base hits and dingers landing like an Battle of the Somme artillery barrage.

Also: BRef has him at 103 sOPS+ in low leverage situations, 112 sOPS+ in medium leverage, and 153 sOPS+ in high leverage situations.

He’s got a 3.99 ERA and 86 sOPS+ in eight starts in front of friendly home crowds, and a 8.45 ERA and 145 sOPS+ in nine starts in front of hostile road crowds.

Looking at those numbers, I’d say his problem is at least partially mental – falling apart in high pressure situations.

He himself has constantly been saying that what he needs to find is “confidence”.

by SnowLeopard on Jul 5, 2012 11:39 AM EDT reply

Well, that Battle of the Somme comment is a bit pompous, ^_^ but like the rest...especially how he's still pitching well at home...still, as a simple man, I think it all goes back to loss of speed on his fastball. He used to throw 91-94 then 94-97 when he really needed to. And hitters had to think differently because of that. They don't fear the fastball anymore. And there will be more action on his other pitches,(I'm guessing, no proof ) and there wass more of a difference in MPH between his fastball and changeup in the past...

Edited by BERIGAN

Personally, I think he (Lincecum) just got lazy after getting that huge contract; ala Zito.

He only got a 2 year deal so he can't afford to be lazy for long. Of course if he rebounds to old self next year, the cynics will feel very satisfied. :)

Personally, I think he (Lincecum) just got lazy after getting that huge contract; ala Zito.

He only got a 2 year deal so he can't afford to be lazy for long. Of course if he rebounds to old self next year, the cynics will feel very satisfied. :)

At $20.5 million a year, he's set for life. I also read in our local fishwrap where he even admited to getting lazy. He also mentioned feeling aches and pains like he never did before [well, duh...he isn't 20 anymore]. Maybe it's just time for him to grow up? Otherwise, he's just another head case like Zito.

Diagnosing Time Lincecum: http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/7/5/3137591/tim-lincecum-stats-splits-giants

Some very interesting statistical breakdowns here.

Amazing how many different ways you can break down a baseball player...don't think you could do the same thing in basketball or football.

Anyway, there are some very interesting stats there....found an interesting comment on that page that explains the how, if not the why...

I don't think the problem is mechanical

and I don’t think that the best split is “bases empty vs runners on”

In the chart below, RISPa means less stressful RISP situations: just a man on second, just a man on third, or a man on first and second.

RISPb means more stressful situations: bases loaded, men on second and third, or men on first and third.

Year PA AVG OBP SLG BABIP K/PA BB/PA HR/PA 2007-11,Empty 2459 0.231 0.305 0.338 0.311 0.264 0.091 0.014 2007-11,1bOnly 794 0.213 0.259 0.334 0.286 0.273 0.068 0.019 2007-11,RISPa 753 0.212 0.293 0.318 0.276 0.259 0.097 0.019 2007-11,RISPb 245 0.210 0.299 0.330 0.271 0.269 0.114 0.012 2012,Empty 229 0.244 0.310 0.421 0.331 0.293 0.083 0.026 2012,1bOnly 60 0.226 0.281 0.321 0.297 0.250 0.067 0.017 2012,RISPa 97 0.276 0.427 0.447 0.317 0.124 0.206 0.010 2012,RISPb 38 0.414 0.474 0.724 0.458 0.184 0.158 0.026

So – as the article showed, Timmy’s pitched like a front-line starter, reasonably close to career norms, with the bases empty.

With just a man on first, he’s pitched even better. (those excellent numbers get mixed in with his RISP disasters if one just examines all “men on base” scenarios)

In relatively less pressure RISP situations, he stops striking guys out, and walks everybody.

With the bases loaded other or more pressure situation – that were shit gets really crazy, base hits and dingers landing like an Battle of the Somme artillery barrage.

Also: BRef has him at 103 sOPS+ in low leverage situations, 112 sOPS+ in medium leverage, and 153 sOPS+ in high leverage situations.

He’s got a 3.99 ERA and 86 sOPS+ in eight starts in front of friendly home crowds, and a 8.45 ERA and 145 sOPS+ in nine starts in front of hostile road crowds.

Looking at those numbers, I’d say his problem is at least partially mental – falling apart in high pressure situations.

He himself has constantly been saying that what he needs to find is “confidence”.

by SnowLeopard on Jul 5, 2012 11:39 AM EDT reply

Well, that Battle of the Somme comment is a bit pompous, ^_^ but like the rest...especially how he's still pitching well at home...still, as a simple man, I think it all goes back to loss of speed on his fastball. He used to throw 91-94 then 94-97 when he really needed to. And hitters had to think differently because of that. They don't fear the fastball anymore. And there will be more action on his other pitches,(I'm guessing, no proof ) and there wass more of a difference in MPH between his fastball and changeup in the past...

He's also hanging his curve and fastball.

Judging by what you saw in those stats, he is turning into a head case. He is also is falling behind by allowing runs to score in the first two innings of late.

Marijauna makes people paranoid and if a little pressure/RISP is the culprit relative to OPS and ERA, well it isn't much of a stretch to say the pot may be his biggest issue.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Hard to believe - my White Sox just beat the best team in the AL 3 games in a row.

OTOH one of these days Humber and Danks will come off the DL and our red-hot rookie pitchers will have to make way. I sure hope H. and D. get totally recovered and that Peavy skips his annual visit to the DL this year, especially since some of the batters are starting to hit a bit.

You think the Rangers are the best team in the AL?

I know that's what the numbers say, but numbers can lie sometimes. How they lost the first game was just one of those things, as was how they lost the game today. But that game last night? Mike Adams has a guy down 0-2 and down on the ground writhing in pain and goes on to walk him and lets him steal second and then gives up the walkoff hit?

You gonna lose 2 out of 3, fine. Shit happens. But if you're the "best" team in the AL, you gotta take advantage of your chances to win that one (especially w/Cleveland sweeping the Angels). And they didn't. That's some weak shit right there. I know, shit still happens, but DAMN, that's definitely a horse fallen off of. And I'm watching these games while they're steady pimpin' Yu for the All-Star team, which is ok, but dammit, win a game while you're pimpin', ok? Horse before cart, ya' know?

The Tribe been better to the Rangers than they been to themself.

Tribe continues the favor to Rangers fans

And this Rangers fan says thank you!

Jim, I think we've switched roles this year, with me being the Rangers cheerleader and you preaching the doom & gloom. Yeah, the Rangers got swept, but so did the Angels. Both at the hands of two very good teams. I agree that numbers don't always tell the whole story, and okay the Rangers certainly aren't the best team in baseball today. But they didn't get that record by being weak, that's for sure.

I'm gonna be ok, just gotta vent that frustration steam every so often...like whem Mike Adams lets a man come bck from the dead....GRRRRRRR........

Over 162, I do think we're as good as anybody, and better than most. But those stops along the way are what'll drive you batty sometimes!

Indians did not sweep Angels. Weaver beat Ubaldo 3-0 in the series opener.

Happy for the Tribe overachieving, but it's been with a lot of smoke and mirrors--Damon, Duncan, Kotchman, and Cunningham manning first base and left field is just atrocious. Is there a less useful combo for those two (easy to fill) positions starting for a team with much promise for success? [This is not equivalent to having Paul Sorrento play first when the lineup included Belle, Lofton, Ramirez, Thome, Murray, Alomar Jr, etc. by a long shot] Absent the back end of the bullpen (Pistano and Perez) which has been exemplary, the pitching is also fairly dreadful. A few good players/stories including Justin Masterson (despite the record) and Jason Kipnis (should have made the All-Star team), but not enough to succeed outside the dreadful AL Central. I think the Tigers get rolling fairly soon. In Cleveland, hopefully the mirrors remain shiny...