MLB 2012 Season

Very disappointed in Lincecum, especially his lack of physical conditioning, which is a common occurrence with the Giants, e.g.. Huff, Panda, and now TL. How can a professional starting pitcher be "gassed" after 40 pitches? In my book, that's inexcusable, and falls on the coaching staff.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the Mets come from a run down in the 9th last night to beat the Phillies and Papelbon. A good friend of mine is a Mets fan and I'm happy for him.

I watched it also, it just looked so improbable and strange. Leadoff double, then HBP, then a walk(Tejada WORKED that walk!!!), then a groundball off the pitcher's leg followed by a bloop that falls in no-man's land! I'm a Yank fan, and it was very entertaining and loads of fun to watch. The comeback highlights a great quality about this year's Mets- they never give up.

Edited by PHILLYQ

Again with Hamilton's back spasms...here's some crazy talk - see what we can get for him before the trade deadline. Extract maximum return or nothing at all, but...

I know, that's nuts. But this guy....when he's on, hell yeah, but when he's not....grrrr....very frustrating.

Very disappointed in Lincecum, especially his lack of physical conditioning, which is a common occurrence with the Giants, e.g.. Huff, Panda, and now TL. How can a professional starting pitcher be "gassed" after 40 pitches? In my book, that's inexcusable, and falls on the coaching staff.

I'm not happy about it either, Matthew.

But I would argue that it's not a "common occurance" just with the Giants. A quick look around the league and you'll find several overweight/out of shape ballplayers.

Where I agree with you about Lincecum, I would further argue that Sandoval, though a big guy, can motor around the bases and is a pretty decent everyday 3B'er. Huff has an anxiety disorder which has nothing to do with conditioning.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Again with Hamilton's back spasms...here's some crazy talk - see what we can get for him before the trade deadline. Extract maximum return or nothing at all, but...

I know, that's nuts. But this guy....when he's on, hell yeah, but when he's not....grrrr....very frustrating.

Take a deep breath, Jim.

You aren't seriously thinking the Rangers should throw Hamilton under the [trade deadline] bus now, are you? :o

Edited by GoodSpeak

Take a deep breath, Jim.

You aren't seriously thinking the Rangers should throw Hamilton under the [trade deadline] bus now, are you? :o

Not seriously, no. But as a fleeting thought...you gotta wonder just how much he would bring...especially if you don't think he can be resigned for whatever reason (money, years, desire to move on, who knows...).

But that's just crazy talk borne of yet another case of him tweaking his back on something as basic as chasing a deep (but catchable) fly ball, missing it by no more than an inch, and then whipping a bullet directly to third base. Grrrrrr....

Edited by JSngry

Take a deep breath, Jim.

Not seriously, no. But as a fleeting thought...you gotta wonder just how much he would bring...especially if you don't think he can be resigned for whatever reason (money, years, desire to move on, who knows...).

But that's just crazy talk borne of yet another case of him tweaking his back on something as basic as chasing a deep (but catchable) fly ball, missing it by no more than an inch, and then whipping a bullet directly to third base. Grrrrrr....

I wonder if in any way, shape or form the drug abuse could be a cause for the frequent injuries? I know, Fred Lynn wasn't known for being a coke head, and I have no idea if there is any research to back up my wild, pulled out of my butt claim...but I have wondered...like when he really messed up his shoulder sliding home headfirst, something Pete Rose probably did several hundred times in his career...Few athletes have done drugs to the point of nearly dying...sorta like how say the guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers can play guitar as good as ever, after being weeks if not days from death from drug use...but if you listen to him talk, it sounds like he was hit over the head with a two by four several times...

So, the Nats really seem to want to Shut down Strausburg when he reaches 160 innings...I understand long term, but how do you explain that to the fans this year, or his teammates??? Team may have injuries next year, and suck....

Of course, if they were to listen to me,(and I am sure that is very likely) the solution would be to DL him for 3 weeks right now(Groin pull, hammy, whatever fake thing you want) then have him skip a start in August and Sept against so-so clubs, then you have rested the shoulder and can actually have him in the pennant race...It will really p.o. their fans to lose in Sept because he's riding the bench. But hey, knock yourselves out doing things the wrong way Nats braintrust! ;)

Much preferred the throwback 1924 uniforms we wore Thursday night to the current one!

The thing is, in Washington, the loudest mouths are the few fans of the 1960s second franchise Senators. Their nostalgia is for THAT team. So they argue that we in 2012 should be remembering and paying homage to DC's baseball history with the curly W and stuff I really can't stand, yet they invariably exclude the original Nationals and especially the Washington (Homestead) Grays, our greatest baseball history! For the likes of Jim French, Eddie Brinkman, and Ron Hansen! Pitiful!

Edited by Neal Pomea

I think they need to just dump those throw-back uniforms....in the NFL, too.

There is a very good reason why the teams changed to something more eye appealing in the first place: Ug-ly.

Ack :bad:

[Disclaimer: One notable exception would be the old Patriots uniform...but that's for another thread.]

Edited by GoodSpeak

Couldn't disagree more. I love throwbacks. I can see were maybe the original concept has gotten a little out of hand (*) but there are so many of them that I like much more than what the teams are actually wearing. For example, is there anyone on the face of the Earth who doesn't prefer the old Boston Patriot three point stance helmet logo to the current futuristic iteration? Besides, it may be the only way to convince my Eagles to return to those halcyon days of yester year when they sported the kelly green livery they were wearing when I first became enamored of them as a young pup back in 1959.

(*) steelers-throwback.jpg

Couldn't disagree more. I love throwbacks. I can see were maybe the original concept has gotten a little out of hand (*) but there are so many of them that I like much more than what the teams are actually wearing. For example, is there anyone on the face of the Earth who doesn't prefer the old Boston Patriot three point stance helmet logo to the current futuristic iteration? Besides, it may be the only way to convince my Eagles to return to those halcyon days of yester year when they sported the kelly green livery they were wearing when I first became enamored of them as a young pup back in 1959.

(*) steelers-throwback.jpg

Ack.

For the record, I did say the Patriots old uniform is an exception.

BTW...I couldn't help but notice that the signature under your photo read: Laughter is the shortest distance between friends.

Relative to the gawd awful Steelers throw-back uniform, the irony was not lost on me ^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

Gotta hand it to the Rangers and their never-say-die attitude, scoring three runs with two out in the ninth, then holding on to win in the 13th. Yeah, I know it was against the last-place Twins, but there's no such thing as "should be" or "supposed to" in this game, because... well, check the signature below! :cool:

How does LaRussa get to manage the NL and make an idiotic decision by not picking Dickey as the starter when he has the best stats in the league the reason given is that Posey is not used to a knuckler. Neither is Ruiz but he will be Dickey's catcher when he comes in. Great reasoning.