MLB 2012 Season

Funny how things turn around in baseball: where once we dreaded Scott Feldman taking the mound but cheered when Yu Darvish took the mound (well, actually, I've never bought into the Yu hype), now the tables have turned: Feldman's won his last four decisions, Darvish is 1-4 in his last six starts. Darvish hasn't reached Chan Ho lousiness (yet), but if he doesn't right himself and SOON, it could open the door for the A's and the Angels to drop Texas out of the playoffs altogether.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gonna be 3-4 years before they're even competitive if they're lucky, and oh by the way they're also switching to the AL, involuntarily. So the need a DH. Don't really have any bats on the team. Nor any decent pitchers.

Baseball isn't much fun to watch for an Astros fan.

Ooooo, I detect an ongoing "oh yeah, well my team sucks more" battle with the Mariner fans here. (Insert laughing/crying emoticon here). Somebody is going to finish 4th, which finally won't be last place in the AL West!

Are things that bad, SS1?

My Astros are 36-73, dead last in Major League Baseball. For the second year in a row. There's maybe one player on the team that would even be tradeable at this point (Jose Altuve), but I believe he's who they're hoping to build around.

It's gonna be 3-4 years before they're even competitive if they're lucky, and oh by the way they're also switching to the AL, involuntarily. So the need a DH. Don't really have any bats on the team. Nor any decent pitchers.

Bring on football!

I feel your pain, Aggie.

It isn't any fun to watch your guys do poorly. Problem is, as a Niners fan, I had nothing to look forward to after the baseball season was over for years [8 during the last slump].

Hang in there. Maybe moving to the AL next season will bring better results for Houston.

Ooooo, I detect an ongoing "oh yeah, well my team sucks more" battle with the Mariner fans here. (Insert laughing/crying emoticon here). Somebody is going to finish 4th, which finally won't be last place in the AL West!

Well, maybe the "new" team will ramp up the competition a bit. I mean, in the AL West, there are three bonafide teams and as I have seen happen in the NL West it often makes everyone play better.

Salary/player dumps notwithstanding. Sorry Quincy.

Edited by GoodSpeak

060812-MLB-TIME-OUT-Roy-Oswalt-LA-PI-2_20120807021346606_660_320.JPG

Heh, could have told you that! ;) Anyone that is 34, and is blessed to make millions playing baseball, would rather stay at home(at that advanced age) than take a few million cut...sucks. Writers having been saying for years that he would be the guy most likely to walk away from the game early and never look back...what a guy. Talking about retiring ever since he turned 30 . Big baby indeed.

What's funny, is with his stuff, he could be a very good bullpen guy, on a team trying to make it back to the W.S. but it's all about Roy.

Edited by BERIGAN

060812-MLB-TIME-OUT-Roy-Oswalt-LA-PI-2_20120807021346606_660_320.JPG

What's funny, is with his stuff, he could be a very good bullpen guy, on a team trying to make it back to the W.S. but it's all about Roy.

Could be, was for a few games, and might still be yet, if he gets his head out of his ass.

Plus, Yu is showing signs of hitting Rookie Wall, Holland is not yet back to 100%, not fully (how can you tell? that's the question that might never be answered...), still not enough sample size to know what Dempster & the AL will think of each other...Baby Roy might end up back in the rotation yet, so he needs to keep his diapers clean and fresh, just in case.

I freakin' hate pitchers...except when I don't.

I mean, I get emotional about the day-to-days, and all that, and I take no pleasure from biteanasty things like Hamilton & Young just going off a cliff for no really apparent reason (well,with Young it might be age, but with Josh, it's all mental), pitchers in general, and all that, but at the end of the day (probably when I'm asleep :g ), more than anything else, I'm happy to have a local team that appears to be making every possible good-faith effort to build an organization with staying power as a legitimate contender. Not every move will click, not every game will be a gem, and not every season will be Glorious. But nobody dare say that the organization, from top to bottom, is throwing it away (for whatever reason).

Once the adrenaline slows down, that's really all anybody can ask for. To just know that, overall, every good-fatih effort is being made, that problems are not being ignored, that mistakes are being learned from, and that preventable failures are not being sloughed off. That's all anybody can ask of anybody, period.

I do want to be a "typical" Dallas Cowboy fan, and I do not want the Texas Rangers to become the Dallas Cowboys in theirs or anybody else's eyes.

Are things that bad, SS1?

My Astros are 36-73, dead last in Major League Baseball. For the second year in a row. There's maybe one player on the team that would even be tradeable at this point (Jose Altuve), but I believe he's who they're hoping to build around.

Hope to catch 'em at Camden Yards in the future! I've got an old cap with the H and star on it. They were my team before the Expos came to town.

I've got an old cap with the H and star on it. They were my team before the Expos came to town.

I remember one year in the mid-80s. I think it was 1985. I was on a business trip to Houston the Monday following their three-day home opening weekend. They gave a free cap to everyone who attended one of those three games. That Monday nearly half the people in downtown Houston were wearing their orange caps. I can still see it in my mind!

I've been a 'Stros fan since about 1983 or so - got to meet Nolan Ryan and Mike Scott on the field once, even. They had some good players come and go - Glenn Davis, Ken Caminiti, Billy Hatcher, Kevin Bass, Curt Schilling, Steve Finley, Luis Gonzalez, the Killer B's (Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman). Got to the WS once in 2005, only to be choke big time against the White Sox. Haven't really done anything since then. 7 years of blah and counting.

Some day they'll be ok again. Good, maybe. Great, doubtful.

Hey, Don Wilson!

That '80 team (er...years past Don) played exciting baseball and the NLCS vs. Philly was one of the great ones. For some reason as a young fan I fixated on Jose Cruz as a Cardinal and it stunned me when he was traded to Houston. On his first baseball card with Houston Topps painted the emblem on as they often did back then. Jose then went on to play some mighty fine baseball in that 8th Wonder of the World. Although they've never won a title I have big respect for the franchise. J.R. Richard was legendary and Andujar was infinitely quotable. :) And going back Jim Wynn, Bob Watson & Lee May all are in the Hall of Very Good. Most of the time the late '70s-'80s squads played a type of ball a little similar to the Royals of the late '70s to mid-'80s. Lots of doubles rather than home runs and turf speed. While I love a ballpark to have real grass in person there are times where I miss the Astroturf when watching a game on TV and seeing the type of ball the 'stros and Cardinals played in the '80s.

Edited by Quincy

I've been a 'Stros fan since about 1983 or so - got to meet Nolan Ryan and Mike Scott on the field once, even. They had some good players come and go - Glenn Davis, Ken Caminiti, Billy Hatcher, Kevin Bass, Curt Schilling, Steve Finley, Luis Gonzalez, the Killer B's (Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman). Got to the WS once in 2005, only to be choke big time against the White Sox. Haven't really done anything since then. 7 years of blah and counting.

Some day they'll be ok again. Good, maybe. Great, doubtful.

Off topic, sorta...I was lucky enough to watch Nolan Ryan throw a no-no while he was with the Angels.

Again, I feel you. I was born the year the Giants won the WS in 1954 only to wait a lifetime before watching them win it all in 2010. Your guys will get there. Trust me.

The Angels are starting to put themselves into a tough position, what with being fourth in the Wild Card chase. Aside from Weaver and Greinke, the rest of the rotation is shaky as is the bullpen. I have no idea why Sciosia continues to call on Isringhausen; they guy is toxic. They have some good hitters but not up and down the lineup.

Now, you may be saying why is a Mets fan going on about the Angels. My son, for some reason, is an Angels fan and we bought Extra Innings and now, sleep permitting, we watch their games :w

Edited by Brad