MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mets closer, Frank Francisco, seems to be the second coming of Armando Benitez: two blown saves this weekend and made last night a little dicey.

if not for the bullpen the Mets would be in first place.

Sounds like the Giants of the 90s.

Umpire Bob Davidson has been suspended for a game by Major League Baseball for "repeated violations of the Office of the Commissioner's standards for situation handling."

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/5/18/3028748/bob-davidson-suspended-umpire-mlb

Glad to see at least a gesture towards public accountability for the umps. Tough gig, I know, but there seems to have been a rise in impudence lately....not a good thing.

The Yankees are 3-60 with runners in scoring position during the month of May! Mark Tiexiera, the worst offender in a group replete with offenders, says he might take a day off this weekend (emphasis on "might") but that he's in the starting lineup for the long haul. Interesting. When, if I may be so bold, did players begin making decisions about who would take the field? No doubt, this the result of the mega-contracts that baseball in general and the Yankees in particular have been throwing around over the last decade. I guess when your deal is in the nine figure range, all kinds of clout accrues regardless of one's performance. Maybe a fall from grace along the lines of the late 80's and early 90's is just what the doctor ordered. For a Yankee fan, this is pretty discouraging.

Umpire Bob Davidson has been suspended for a game by Major League Baseball for "repeated violations of the Office of the Commissioner's standards for situation handling."

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/5/18/3028748/bob-davidson-suspended-umpire-mlb

Glad to see at least a gesture towards public accountability for the umps. Tough gig, I know, but there seems to have been a rise in impudence lately....not a good thing.

Yeah, I read about that today in our local fish wrap.

But he was barking at the Phillies manager, right? What's bad about that? ^_^

so long, kerry---

so long, kerry

I remember when he broke into the majors and everybody was raving over his pitching prowess. Sorry to see it end this way, though.

so long, kerry---

so long, kerry

I remember when he broke into the majors and everybody was raving over his pitching prowess. Sorry to see it end this way, though.

Yet another indication that the human arm was not designed to throw overhand. The baseball boneyard is littered with careers that never materialized, were never fully realized or that were cut woefully short. Just ask David Clyde.

What's going on with Lincecum?

It's his fastball, IMHO. Check out his average speed. I heard early on this year that hitters in the west didn't fear his fastball, which meant they didn't fear the speed between it, and his changup.I don't see him pitch that often, but back in the day...he would bring a 96-97 fastball up if he needed a big out. even when I see someone swing and miss, it's usually a perfectly placed pitch outside, perhaps a bit high, but it's 91-92 now.

I know they must worry about him "bulking" up, and not being able to keep the same funky delivery, but I think if he is to have a long term career, he needs to build up his slight frame. He's too young to be losing speed off his fastball every year.

Edited by BERIGAN

What's going on with Lincecum?

It's his fastball, IMHO. Check out his average speed. I heard early on this year that hitters in the west didn't fear his fastball, which meant they didn't fear the speed between it, and his changup.I don't see him pitch that often, but back in the day...he would bring a 96-97 fastball up if he needed a big out. even when I see someone swing and miss, it's usually a perfectly placed pitch outside, perhaps a bit high, but it's 91-92 now.

I know they must worry about him "bulking" up, and not being able to keep the same funky delivery, but I think if he is to have a long term career, he needs to build up his slight frame. He's too young to be losing speed off his fastball every year.

I think you're right.

He's been leaving his FB up and in the hitter's zone. He's also been missing his spots and hanging his curve ball. His velocity has been off for a couple season's now, but this year [and part of last year] Lincecum has struggled mightily just to get guys out.

Maybe that's why the Giants only gave him a two year contract. I dunno. But for the Giants to even have a chance to get into the playoffs, either as the NL West Champ or a WC berth, they need Lincecum to pitch well.

Maybe Timmy should get some of his buzz and put it back on his fastball, if you know what I mean...

Couldn't hurt :g

Edited by GoodSpeak