MLB 2012 Season

Runners on 2nd & 3rd with two outs and try for a double steal or a sacrifice fly? Really?

Playing with the DH presents its own strategies. They're not the same strategies as the NL strategies, but those who claim that AL ball is strategy-free as the result of the DH are wrong.

In other news, this time bad, Ogando to the DL with a strained groin.

Yuck.

Not quite as questionable as the National's manger Davy Johnson choosing to pitch to Eric Chavez with two outs in the 6th inning and Andy Pettitte in the on-deck circle. Needless to say, Chavez lashed a run scoring double to make Johnson pay for his naivete.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lincecum again bombs out in a start, and he looked terrible doing it. If this was Barry Zito, there would be screams for yanking out of the rotation. Lindecum is 28, he needs to begin to get his head together or his career will be taking a major down turn. On another note: I have to go to Washington on business for 10 weeks, so I'll be seeing a lot of the Mariners, who don't look too bad, but don't look too good either....

Not quite as questionable as the National's manger Davy Johnson choosing to pitch to Eric Chavez with two outs in the 6th inning and Andy Pettitte in the on-deck circle. Needless to say, Chavez lashed a run scoring double to make Johnson pay for his naivete.

I don't think you can call Davey Johnson "naive." The way Chavez has been for the past 8 years the odds were great that he'd blow a knee or a shoulder mid-swing. I'm also guessing he figured even if the pinch hitter was gotten out that that hitter was more dangerous than Chavez, plus it would then allow the Yankees to start at the top of the lineup next inning. I guess what I'm saying is "questionable" I don't have issue with, just "naivete" which I think is off base.

edited hours later - I tend to think of naive being just concerned with "experience," but after checking a dictionary it also applies to lack of wisdom or lack of judgement. So...never mind. :)

Edited by Quincy

Giants lose two of three to the Mariners, great game today though with Felix Hernandez and Madison Baumgarner pitching great. It was 1-1 until the bottom of the 9th when the Mariners got three hits off Sergio Romo for the win. Giants play the Angels next, and will be a very tough series.

I'm starting to get the feeling I'm gonna be doing this all year long:

R.A. first in majors to 11! First N.L. pitcher in 68 years to give up no more than 1 hit in each of 2 consecutive starts. 13 K's tonight. A new career high for him. Incredible! Best pitcher in majors right now.

Edited by JETman

R.A. first in majors to 11! First N.L. pitcher in 68 years to give up no more than 1 hit in each of 2 consecutive starts. 13 K's tonight. A new career high for him. Incredible! Best pitcher in majors right now.

Best season at age 37. Those wacky knuckleballers. 10 years ago he had been sent down by the Rangers for a year. They actually showed more than a fair amount of patience with him as his ugly pre-Met career record shows. The man is on a roll!

Edited by Quincy

Shit it looks like The Rocket could still go 9 innings for NY

So do the Mrs.

Was the last celebrity case won by the govt. vs. Martha Stewart? Against the jocks it seems like the Mariners have a better winning % than the fed prosecutors.

Lincecum again bombs out in a start, and he looked terrible doing it. If this was Barry Zito, there would be screams for yanking out of the rotation. Lindecum is 28, he needs to begin to get his head together or his career will be taking a major down turn. On another note: I have to go to Washington on business for 10 weeks, so I'll be seeing a lot of the Mariners, who don't look too bad, but don't look too good either....

With all due respect, there's no comparison here, Matthew.

The decided difference is Zito came to the Giants as a hot-shot pitcher and demanded a truck load of money [which he got] and a long-term contrct [which he also got] and NEVER lived up to his alleged potential.

Lincecum, OTOH, came up as a rookie and promptly won two Cy Youngs [back-to-back] and proceeded to dazzle everyone with his SO average and pitching prowess. Now, when he gets the big money, he tanks. Again, I think he has a bad case of Zito-itis going on or he physically can't pitch like he used to. Big difference and people are willing to cut the guy a little slack where Zito gets props now only because he has FINALLY started to pitch better.

However, if this keeps up, the boo birds will come out eventually.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Bummer loss by the Giants this afternoon, losing the game to the A's, who had a walk-off homer off a 3-2 pitch, with 2 out. Now, it's a three game series against the Dodgers, we'll see what happens....

Castilla needs to go down to Fresno AAA.

This is the third time in the A's series he's blown a lead, lost a game for Lincecum and now Cain.

He just doesn't have the stuff.

The good news is the A's can stop flapping their gums about their alleged dominance over the Giants.

Edited by GoodSpeak

The Red Sox have traded The Greek God of Walks, Kevin Youkilis, to the White Sox.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/bosox-trade-kevin-youkilis-to-chisox/article4366779/

That could turn out helping both clubs, the Chisox need some production from 3B and the Redsox need everyday playing time for Middlebrooks at 3B. Maybe the change of scenery will awaken Youkilis' bat.