MLB 2012 Season

We'll see how the free agency thing goes before deciding how happy the ending is...

You think the Rangers would let him go?

I'm sure they'll try to keep him, but there's sure to be a few teams that come in offers that will be batshit crazy in terms of years and/or dollars, in which case, I don't know how hard the Rangers try to meet or beat. The guy's magic when he's healthy, but he's also streaky, and he's prone to injuries, some major, some not. And he's not a kid, so a 7-10 year deal at big bucks a la Pujols is not a good bet.

OTOH, he's one of the best, if not the best, talents in the game right now, and is definitely an impact player. A nice crazy-money five, or even six, year deal is something I don't think the Rangers would balk at, not at all. But you know that somebody's going to offer 7 or more years at even crazier money, and that might be the point when the Rangers tell him "thank you for everything" and start moving on. Josh gonna make the best deal for Josh, and that's how it should be, dammit. And dammit....

That's gonna suck, but life goes on, and as long as the system is developing players like Leonys Marin & Mike Olt (and as long as they keep developing themselves), you just gotta hope that good business sense and potential talent don't cross each other up.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see how the free agency thing goes before deciding how happy the ending is...

I'm sure they'll try to keep him, but there's sure to be a few teams that come in offers that will be batshit crazy in terms of years and/or dollars, in which case, I don't know how hard the Rangers try to meet or beat. The guy's magic when he's healthy, but he's also streaky, and he's prone to injuries, some major, some not. And he's not a kid, so a 7-10 year deal at big bucks a la Pujols is not a good bet.

OTOH, he's one of the best, if not the best, talents in the game right now, and is definitely an impact player. A nice crazy-money five, or even six, year deal is something I don't think the Rangers would balk at, not at all. But you know that somebody's going to offer 7 or more years at even crazier money, and that might be the point when the Rangers tell him "thank you for everything" and start moving on. Josh gonna make the best deal for Josh, and that's how it should be, dammit. And dammit....

That's gonna suck, but life goes on, and as long as the system is developing players like Leonys Marin & Mike Olt (and as long as they keep developing themselves), you just gotta hope that good business sense and potential talent don't cross each other up.

I would like to think that after all his "issues" and how the team stood by him, that might be enough to help Hamilton decide to stay.

But these days, loyaty is bought and paid for, I'm afraid.

Well, Josh feels, and rightly so, that he has repaid the team's loyalty with some outstanding baseball and dramatically increased revenue. And he's right. The team broke its previous single-season sellout record over the past weekend, and it's still June.

This "loyalty" thing isn't a one-way street, although teams/organizations/business would like for it to be. But I guarantee you, If Michale Young keeps falling off the cliff like he has been, the Rangers will find someplace else for him, and nobody's been a more "loyal" Ranger than has Michael Young. The Face Of The Franchise, and during some pretty lean times.

Business gonna be business. When ownership has leverage, they use it, and when player have it, they should use it.

Alos, the potential loss of Hamilton is why I would have liked to have seen the Rangers made a serious play for Prince Fielder in the off-season. If Hamilton stays, then DAMN. But if he goes, hey, Prince Fielder is not really a dropoff.

Texas would have been a better place for Prince, batting in the Grand Canyon that is the park in Detroit is killing his numbers.

I think when it's all said and done, Hamilton will be back with the Rangers, I can't imaging another organization or manager being as patient with JH as the Rangers and Washington have been. Also, with two relapses that we know of, a new environment might really be bad for Josh Hamilton, the man in recovery.

Cubs might lose every game they have left in the season

Rizzo is coming up so they'll win at least 2. ;) Boy, the poor kid is probably going to face a lot of junk with the lack of firepower in the lineup.

Regarding Hamilton hasn't there been talk that he might go for big money elsewhere so more could be given to church? It does seem that Texas, especially with Washington is a great support system for him.

Geek talk about the "hometown discount": http://www.lonestarball.com/2012/6/25/3116654/josh-hamilton-and-the-hometown-discount-paradox

At this point, all I are about is just winning the damn games and not getting any more injuries. Michael Young playing first base does not give me the smiles, and Justin Grimm pitching tonight might find the Tigers slightly more difficult than the Astros.

Bright side, my son and I go to see Oswalt vs Fister on Wednesday. LTB & I went to his Ranger debut this past Friday and very much appreciated what we saw.

One team that would be quite doubtful for Hamilton is the Yanks. They're trying to get under $189mil for payroll to escape the onerous luxury tax due to kick in in 2014 and they have Granderson & Cano as free agents prior to 2014. There's even scuttlebut that the Yanks may have to let Granderson or Cano walk to keep the payroll under the $189mil.

One team that would be quite doubtful for Hamilton is the Yanks. They're trying to get under $189mil for payroll to escape the onerous luxury tax due to kick in in 2014 and they have Granderson & Cano as free agents prior to 2014. There's even scuttlebut that the Yanks may have to let Granderson or Cano walk to keep the payroll under the $189mil.

Granderson maybe, but no way the Yanks let Cano go.

The bleeding does not stop.

Colby Lewis to 15-day disabled list with tendinitis in right forearm. Scott Feldman to start in his place. Martin Perez takes Lewis' spot.

Three of the five Opening Day rotation on the disabled list, replaced by Roy Oswalt (good), Scott Feldman/Justin Grimm (uh...) & Martin Perez (touted prospect who has not been sharp in AAA this year, except for his last two starts).

Mitch Moreland gots the stained groin & Craig Gentry the twisted ankle. The stomach bug/intestinal virus appears to have run its course, but...

Who's next?

Umpire really feel asleep on that one, geesh, at least make the player show you the ball in the glove....

that was the 3rd out of the inning. when that batter came out to field his position, he disputed the call, after watching a replay between innings, and was thrown out of the game by dimuro. his daddy, lou, was a longtime umpire. it must have been how junior got his job.

Edited by alocispepraluger102