MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through six games, the Yankees 3-4-5 hitters (Cano, Rodriguez and Teixeira) have zero RBI's and a combined batting average of .208. Wow.

A whole 6 games? This kind of stressin' leads to heart attacks.

A-Rod goes yard in his first AB against the Angels today. Guess I'll just ignore that pain in my left arm and the shortness of breath.

Through six games, the Yankees 3-4-5 hitters (Cano, Rodriguez and Teixeira) have zero RBI's and a combined batting average of .208. Wow.

A whole 6 games? This kind of stressin' leads to heart attacks.

A-Rod goes yard in his first AB against the Angels today. Guess I'll just ignore that pain in my left arm and the shortness of breath.

Can't say I've been too impressed with the Angles, or Pujols, so far. Maybe it's just that they're one of those teams that bore me to death, along with Atlanta (sorry Berigan!), Oakland, Toronto, and Miami. Snooze Ctiy when these teams are involved.

Pace yourself, JetMan...it's a loooong season.

You misread. I wasn't the one stressin'! As a Mets fan, I was ragging on the anal Yankee fan.

You're right...I should have addressed that comment to Dave.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

First mistake I've made all season ^_^

You misread. I wasn't the one stressin'! As a Mets fan, I was ragging on the anal Yankee fan.

One thing I've noticed wrong with the public school system in our country today is that even the English teachers aren't paying attention!

One thing I've noticed wrong with the public school system in our country today is that even the English teachers aren't paying attention!

Bifocals.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Matt Cain nearly tossed a complete game no-no in Giants' 5-0 win over the Pirates last night! :excited:

Cain tosses gem

Edited by GoodSpeak

Bifocals.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Matt Cain nearly tossed a complete game no-no in Giants' 5-0 win over the Pirates last night! :excited:

Cain tosses gem

Their, there and they're seem to be used randomly and interchangeably by today's youts. Whose fault is this?

What's this about Brian Wilson being out for the year with Tommy John surgery?

It's true.

Wilson announced today that he's out for the season. He plans on coming back next year, but so did Robb Nen when he went down. Of course, his was a shoulder injury but still. Those closers throw harder than hard and the body can take only so much.

So we wait and see.

Wilson will have surgery.

Edited by GoodSpeak

It was kinda cool seeing every player in MLB wearing jersey number 42 to celebrate the 65th Anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking into the Majors. But what I don't get is when players are interviewed, they always say, "If it wasn't for Jackie Robinson, I wouldn't be here" or words to that effect. Really?

Are they actually saying MLB would still be an all Caucasian league here in 2012? Seems to me if Jackie Robinson didn't get in back in 1948 that would have only delayed the eventuality of African-American baseball players in the majors.

I dunno. Just seems to me we are giving far too much credit to a great ballplayer, albeit the first African-American in MLB history, but it wouldn't have been only because of him other African-Americans got to play.

Just my two cents.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Well, yeah, it could have been somebody else..it would have been somebody else (eventually, probably....who's to say that American Apartheid wasn't going to just linger on for damn near forever without some kind of mass-culture kick start?)...but it wasn't.

I do think we need to remember who it was, but even more importantly, what it was. And why it even had to happen in the first place.

Well, yeah, it could have been somebody else..it would have been somebody else (eventually, probably....who's to say that American Apartheid wasn't going to just linger on for damn near forever without some kind of mass-culture kick start?)...but it wasn't.

I do think we need to remember who it was, but even more importantly, what it was. And why it even had to happen in the first place.

Oh I absolutely agree, Jim. Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier had a huge impact; no doubt. We should never forget what that meant back then.

All I'm saying is the Civil Rights movement of the late 40s, 50s and 60s coupled with the integration of the US Military in 1950 and Brown vs. Topeka or Plessy vs. Ferguson had a demonstrably larger impact on society than did Jackie Robinson in that regard.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Oh I absolutely agree, Jim. Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier had a huge impact; no doubt. We should never forget what that meant back then.

All I'm saying is the Civil Rights movement of the late 40s, 50s and 60s coupled with the integration of the US Military in 1950 and Brown vs. Topeka or Plessy vs. Ferguson had a demonstrably larger impact on society than did Jackie Robinson in that regard.

But other than Plessy (and seeing Robinson as one of the "opening statements" of the Civil Rights Movement), which came first? If you celebrate history, you gotta celebrate history, ya' know?

I mean, I know it was the Dodgers and all that, but still... :g

Speaking of [the hated] Dodgers [sorry, Noj; can't help it ^_^ ] this is great news for baseball fans anywhere:

Vin Scully returns to announcer's chair

Didn't know he was gone. Agreed, great news.

I used to not like him, found him too facile/slick/whatever, but the longer I heard him, the more I realized what a badass he really was (and that his name was Vin Scully and not Vince Culley).

I'm fairly certain the Supreme Court was working on Civil Rights issues long before Jackie Robinson entered the league.

And I agree. We do need to celebrate and see Jackie Robinson as an integral part of the Civil Rights movement/history. No argument here, Jim.

And, IMHO and from a die-hard Giants fan, Vin Sculley is the absolute pinnacle of booth announcers...bar none.

Edited by GoodSpeak

It was kinda cool seeing every player in MLB wearing jersey number 42 to celebrate the 65th Anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking into the Majors. But what I don't get is when players are interviewed, they always say, "If it wasn't for Jackie Robinson, I wouldn't be here" or words to that effect. Really?

Are they actually saying MLB would still be an all Caucasian league here in 2012? Seems to me if Jackie Robinson didn't get in back in 1948 that would have only delayed the eventuality of African-American baseball players in the majors.

I dunno. Just seems to me we are giving far too much credit to a great ballplayer, albeit the first African-American in MLB history, but it wouldn't have been only because of him other African-Americans got to play.

Just my two cents.

Well, I think it means (A few players have said this)if he hadn't persevered through the hell he went through, they wouldn't be playing today, which is a stretch, but who knows how long it would have been before an African-American got the chance to the be #2?

Well, true to a point, but people like Robinson, and Sidney Poiter(No Way Out, 1950 certainly the first A film with a large role for a "Black" Man, check Wiki for his bio) helped the masses see people of color as actually being... human beings... :rolleyes:

I have a photo of my Grandfather in the military around 1909 with several African-Americans in his unit in the same photograph. It was good ol' racist Woodrow Wilson that re-segregated the Federal government....

If Jackie Robinson had caved in to the pressure and not produced on the field, it would have given many (probably most) white owners the excuse not to sign black players. It might have been a long time before another black player was signed. It's not always easy to be the first in anything. In this case, it was especially difficult.

Edited by paul secor

If Jackie Robinson had caved in to the pressure and not produced on the field, it would have given many (probably most) white owners the excuse not to sign black players. It might have been a long time before another black player was signed. It's not always easy to be the first in anything. In this case, it was especially difficult.

Maybe.

But the Giants signed several Latino players; most in MLB back then [albeit after Robinson], too. It was coming to MLB eventually, IMHO.

I just think the color barrier would have been broken by the 50s anyway.

Edited by GoodSpeak