MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could happen. Oakland is playing "magic" baseball, and the Rangers aren't.

Then again, all it takes is one good outing from either Harrison or Demspter and the offense showing up and that's that. And we had our weakest starting slot out there last night and only lost by one. So "logic" says that, yeah, we can/should win one of the next two.

But that "magic" shit...that can be hard to beat. But...that's why they play the games, I suppose.

I guess we're down to who wins the West and the East. The Yankees seem to have ad there; just don't think the Red Sox can put up any serious competition.

In the West different story. Who knows how that will shake out? I really can't see the Rangers being swept.

Speaking of the Sox, it sounds like Bobby V is managing his two last games so I guess we'll see Dan back pretty soon :D

Looks like my Giants will take on Chop-lanta in the first round.....

Wow, have your psychic powers told you the braves will beat the best hitting team in the NL? Ok, Rockies are hitting 2 points higher, but they don't count! I'm talking about the Cards.... That's a load off my mind! I also thought "we" were going to have to face the Nats. Don't tell me who wins, let me be surprised! :)

Quincy, you if no one else will appreciate this. Hunter Pence has 104 RBI's(Well, Goodspeak is probably happy about that fact) in 101 games with the Phils, 59 RBI's. .271 BA. in 57 games with the Giants, 45 RBI's, yet is only hitting .224. How do you do that? He must have gotten some tips from Adam Dunn...

I don't think the Cards or the Dodgers [assuming they can sweep SF and the Cards lose two] can beat the Braves. Hence, my point about the Giants getting the Braves in the 1st round.

Secondly, I'm not sure what all the hub-bub is about Pence. He seems to be doing just fine for my guys.

Congrats Nats! :party: Go O's! :cool:

Go Cards! Go O's!

Edited by GoodSpeak

Note that the Washington Nationals franchise (formerly the Montreal Expos) won the NL East when Atlanta lost to Pittsburgh last night. Manager Davey Johnson is reserving Cy Young candidate and 21 game winner Gio Gonzalez for a start on either Saturday or Sunday, going with left hander Tom Gorzelanny for tonight's game, if it can be played at all after today's all day soaking rain.

A good night for the city! And time to get our mojo working again!!!

Also, congratulations to Baltimore! They were my local team from 1985 when I moved to Maryland until 2005 when the Expos moved to DC.

There has NEVER been a year in MLB when both Washington and Baltimore were in the post-season. No other World Series match up would be more improbable this year.

Edited by Neal Pomea

Also, congratulations to Baltimore! They were my local team from 1985 when I moved to Maryland until 2005 when the Expos moved to DC.

There has NEVER been a year in MLB when both Washington and Baltimore were in the post-season. No other World Series match up would be more improbable this year.

It would be kind of cool, though, er, that is...if my Giants don't get there first.

That would be even cooler ^_^

Call me crazy, but the AL team that's looking like "all the pieces are coming together" at "just the right time" is Detroit...all that veteran grit and the hunger from almost getting there last year...dangerous combination, potentially.

Nah, I think Detroit will make a quick exit, Chicago handed the title to them and I'm not impressed. Yankees vs. Giants this World Series.

My White Sox, who were supposed to finish last this year, instead put on quite a show. They could break my heart with winning streaks followed by losing streaks. That last winning streak in Sept. was a beauty -- day after day of come-from-behind wins in late innings, for most of 2 weeks. Sale and Peavy between them didn't pitch even a handful of bad games all year and a few relievers were quite good; now I see Rios and Ramirez were among the 10 best clutch hitters in the league. After all the tension of the Ozzie Guillen era, it looks like Robin Ventura relaxed them right into contention. If Peavy and Pierzynski disappear, if Gavin Floyd and John Danks and Phil Humber continue to pitch disastrous big innings, if Dunn continues to swing at left-handers' pitches on 3-2 counts with runners in scoring position, next year could be the year of disappointment. But it sure was fun in 2012.

In fact, I'm calling it now: A's sweep Rangers right outta first place, thus repeating a feat accomplished by the Mets in 1969 when they overtook the Cubs. Has there ever been another club that held first place all season except for the very last day?

April makes it tricky but the 2009 Tigers were in first from early May until the final day of the season. They blew a 3 game lead with 4 to play to the Twins.

In fact, I'm calling it now: A's sweep Rangers right outta first place, thus repeating a feat accomplished by the Mets in 1969 when they overtook the Cubs. Has there ever been another club that held first place all season except for the very last day?

Padres in 2010...I think.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Just once, I'd like to be right for all the right reasons.

A's 12

Rangers 5

AL West Champs: Oakland A's

AL West Chumps: Texas Rangers

Congratulations to the A's for playing outstanding unstoppable baseball and being hungrier than any team in the league. At this point, I don't see any other team stopping them from going all the way.

As for my Rangers....

ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS WIN ONE GAME! Instead, you played like Little Leaguers today! THREE errors? This was the baseball equivalent of a Cowboys game!

Okay, rant over. The simple fact is: reality finally caught up with the Rangers. Their starting rotation was never consistent, their hitting even less so (especially in the clutch), all that was holding things together was the defense and when that started falling apart over the last couple weeks, it was only a matter of time.

But this still sucks. Even worse than game 6 of last year. How the hell do you build offa this?