MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aloc, my understanding is that tv's position is that they never make demands on pro baseball. They offer a sum for one option, and a lesser sum for another option. And baseball always goes for the option that will give them the most money.

i don't believe that for 1 minute. don't you remember those late night world series games in the east played in monsoons or biting cold/snow/rain? tv rules/ruins all american sports that i can think of. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm sure MLB would much rather let a bad call stand than mess with an already tight schedule. Sorta sounds like Bud Selig doesn't it.

bingo

Jerry, those World Series late starts are a perfect example of what I'm saying. TV offers one sum for a late start, and a lesser sum for what most people would consider a more reasonable start time.

The baseball people always choose the greater amount of money, the game be damned. But it's the baseball's people's choice, not the TV's.

Oh well....time for the Rangers to retool. All of a sudden they look old...Wash sending 19 year old Profar up with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th and he gets a hit? More of that please! Looking forward to seeing how the transition goes - it will be a most interesting off-season. The team needed to be humbled (not everybody, but there was too much of a sense of "expecting" something to happen by too many people), and they were. Make it work for you, guys, make it work for you. Grow up, but never grow old!

About Josh Hamilton - I don't mind that he failed. Hell, the team failed at the end, and no finger-pointing by anybody, ever, much to their credit. But it's how he failed that's sad. I know he's got issues. I think they need to be played out somewhere else, and that they will be. Please.

Braves got screwed, period. I'm just bummed about my team, but that's life, and the future don't suck when viewed objectively (unless Michael Young ever is seen at a corner infield position under any circumstances). but that shit...disgraceful.

And to combine all of it, I'm really, really, really starting to hate (yes, hate) the Cardinals.

I like the young teams, so go Rangers (next year!) and Go A's, and Go Orioles.

Wow. The Orioles won. I feel good for Gentleman Jim Thome.

This season the Rangers were in 1st place for 176 days all but for the most important day - the last. They had a 13 game lead over the A's evaporate. And this on the heels of losing two straight World Series including the last one were they were one strike away from winning it all - twice. Brutal. So where do the Rangers go from here?? Go hard after Cliff Lee?? Let Hamilton walk?? Blow up the team?? Remember, this is an old team. Beltre will be 34 in April, Young 36 in 2 weeks, Cruz will be 33 next July, Kinsler 31 in June, Murphy turns 31 in 2 weeks, Hamilton (if they pay him Pujols money to re-sign) will be 32 in May. Add all that to the questions about their pitching staff(not limited to - Lewis coming back after a major injury, Feliz having Tommy John surgery, Nathan turning 38 in November, Dempster & Adams are FAs) and I got to think the window has closed for them as far as the team is presently constructed.

Lots of questions in Arlington.

Oh well....time for the Rangers to retool. All of a sudden they look old...Wash sending 19 year old Profar up with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th and he gets a hit? More of that please! Looking forward to seeing how the transition goes - it will be a most interesting off-season. The team needed to be humbled (not everybody, but there was too much of a sense of "expecting" something to happen by too many people), and they were. Make it work for you, guys, make it work for you. Grow up, but never grow old!

About Josh Hamilton - I don't mind that he failed. Hell, the team failed at the end, and no finger-pointing by anybody, ever, much to their credit. But it's how he failed that's sad. I know he's got issues. I think they need to be played out somewhere else, and that they will be. Please.

Braves got screwed, period. I'm just bummed about my team, but that's life, and the future don't suck when viewed objectively (unless Michael Young ever is seen at a corner infield position under any circumstances). but that shit...disgraceful.

And to combine all of it, I'm really, really, really starting to hate (yes, hate) the Cardinals.

I like the young teams, so go Rangers (next year!) and Go A's, and Go Orioles.

You know, one of the great things about baseball is the way it unites us as a people. For instance, those of us on this board may have wildly different opinions about the ultimate aesthetic value of Wynton Marsalis, Keith Jarrett, David Murrary, Joshua Redman, Sonny Stitt, Fred Hersch, Eric Alexander and God knows who else. But at least we can all come together in mutual hatred of the Cardinals and Yankees.

Edited by Mark Stryker

This season the Rangers were in 1st place for 176 days all but for the most important day - the last. They had a 13 game lead over the A's evaporate. And this on the heels of losing two straight World Series including the last one were they were one strike away from winning it all - twice. Brutal. So where do the Rangers go from here?? Go hard after Cliff Lee?? Let Hamilton walk?? Blow up the team?? Remember, this is an old team. Beltre will be 34 in April, Young 36 in 2 weeks, Cruz will be 33 next July, Kinsler 31 in June, Murphy turns 31 in 2 weeks, Hamilton (if they pay him Pujols money to re-sign) will be 32 in May. Add all that to the questions about their pitching staff(not limited to - Lewis coming back after a major injury, Feliz having Tommy John surgery, Nathan turning 38 in November, Dempster & Adams are FAs) and I got to think the window has closed for them as far as the team is presently constructed.

Seeing the O's win was nice, but I felt bad for the Rangers in the same way I feel bad for the Braves...a very good year, yet it's like you ended in a tie and you had to play one more game to decide who gets to go to the playoffs...but it's a "playoff" game...I think Bud loves this, because baseball is in the news...just spell the name right.

As for the Rangers...nah, they are still loaded to the gills with talent(Even if a lot of elbows have grenaded themselves) . IF they can/want to trade Profar or Elvis for say, David Price... A rotation with Price, Darvish, Matt Harrison(gee, but I'd like to see him pitching for the Braves, but Tex has been so good for the braves since the trade) Derek Holland, and I'm sure Jim and Al knows much more about the really good arms that are close to being ready...and you know the Rangers will always hit.

And you have to have some vets, I seem to recall a certain Phillies team winning it all with a bunch of guys MUCH older than the rangers, and hell, those old shits had to play on that green concrete to boot..

I think at least part of the braves problems was most of those guys haven't played in the playoffs before, and that's why they choked on defense(I think Chipper had to be tense knowing it could be his last day to ever put in uniform on)

It seems so simple, to just relax and have fun. Who knows how much of it was steroids boosting his confidence,or what, but Manny Ramirez always looked like he was just playing a spring training game when he was in the playoffs, and he was the most dangerous hitter out there....

Edited by BERIGAN

Lots of answers as well.

Don't know how well they'll pan out, but the team has youth aplenty, a little bit of money (now), and a smart GM who is also young and who has access to the little bit of money.

I don't expect to see "glory" every year, because unless you make a pact with the devil or something, that's just the way life goes. And not just the baseball part of it.

You're a Phillies fan, you should understand this, right?

Besides - Beltre is a god, and gods don't age. As long as there is Beltre, there will be Fire In Arlington.

But even gods experience that ebb and flow shit. That's why it's a good idea to know when to stare, and when to look away.

I'm old school. I can't have any sympathy for a team that didn't finish in first place.

So, what, you don't root for a team until after the season is over?

IF they can/want to trade Profar or Elvis for say, David Price...

Elvis is a Scott Boras client with only two (or is it jsut one?) more years of club control. Trading him now would be very tempting business-wise, but damn, that guy is a true joy to watch most every day.

Profar? Don't think so. That Wash would send him up as Out 3 in the last game of a season that has more and more Ranger fans resembling Cowboys fans (god, kill me if that ever fully happens, please, just do it whenever it's convenient for you, ok?), Wash is all like, ok kid, you want a taste, here it is, see how you like it.

Well, he liked it.

The odd man out here is maybe Kinsler, whose numbers dropped this year. Some people are talking about some ankle thing that's not been right for a good while, but I don't know, I'm not in the clubhouse and training room. But he's got four(?) years of club control left, is also a great joy to watch, and Profar can play some second.

Ideally, you get a nice extension for Elvis (and have Boras kidnapped or soemthing so you can), let Profar hone his skill set at second until the time is right, and then get a good return for Kinsler in the middle of a healthy rebound year.

But I don't want to think about that, not at all. I've gotten used to those slick-ass Kinsler/Andrus double plays, to the point of having them framed and mounted on the wall. But I cold get a new wall for the Andrus/Profar ones, I suppose.

As for the Rangers...nah, they are still loaded to the gills with talent(Even if a lot of elbows have grenaded themselves) . IF they can/want to trade Profar or Elvis for say, David Price... A rotation with Price, Darvish, Matt Harrison(gee, but I'd like to see him pitching for the Braves, but Tex has been so good for the braves since the trade) Derek Holland, and I'm sure Jim and Al knows much more about the really good arms that are close to being ready...and you know the Rangers will always hit.

And you have to have some vets, I seem to recall a certain Phillies team winning it all with a bunch of guys MUCH older than the rangers, and hell, those old shits had to play on that green concrete to boot..

They can't trade Profar. He's the future. I don't think the Rays deal Price for Elvis, either. The Rangers usually do hit but the bats went cold down the stretch and again tonight so their offense has to be of some concern. As to your last point I wouldn't say the 1980 WS Champs were MUCH older. Actually if you compare the starting lineups the 1980 Phillies were younger in all starting positions except SS, C, and 1st base(But Rose @ 39 played a lot younger than Young @ 35). Carlton at 35 and Reed at 37 were the old men of the staff but the rest of those guys were in their 20's. Except for Tug @ 35 who was 3 years younger than Nathan will be. LOL @ the "green concrete" comment.

The current Phillies are older then the 1980 Phillies. Yikes. Although I have a feeling Ruben Amaro(AKA Blew Your Tomorrow) will do something about that. Who knows - maybe the Rangers will do what they should have done(fail) back in July and trade Olt for Lee? Now if we could just unload Howard's contract....

I'm old school. I can't have any sympathy for a team that didn't finish in first place.

So, what, you don't root for a team until after the season is over?

I don't have any problems with anybody's fans. I rooted for the Red Sox in 2004. I just feel that a team that failed to finish first does not deserve to be in the World Series, so has no standing to claim that they were robbed of a World Series appearance by a bad call.

But at least we can all come together in mutual hatred of the Cardinals and Yankees.

Explain the Cardinal hatred to me. Tony "Genius" LaRussa is gone. Is it a style or arrogance? Is it based on the INF fly call by the ump (there's been little mention of the timeout-strikeout-HR-next-pitch except by Chipper post game). Is it just the winning a WS from the wild card position last year and winning another title too soon too? Is it that they have the most titles by a NL team, thus are Yankees Senior Circuit? I'm genuinely curious as other than from Cub fans I'm not well acquainted with Cardinal-hatred from a national perspective. I do understand getting screwed by the umps because of Denkinger, or the team that broke your heart being hated.

I can sympathize with Braves' players, manager, coaches, and fans over the bad call. But, even if the ump hadn't blown the call, it wasn't a given that the Braves would have come back to tie or win it. At some point, a team has to look at themselves in the mirror and say, maybe the ump blew the call, but we stunk up the place. That's why we lost. It's probably not human nature to do that, but the best thing to do would be to learn from what happened and then look ahead to changing things next season

They're grubby looking and they sell their souls to Satan.

That's all I need to know. :g

:rofl: Good enough! Amusingly enough I was talking baseball with a friend who is a Deadhead yet he said he couldn't stand the Mustache Gang because of their long hair & beards. :lol:

I can sympathize with Braves' players, manager, coaches, and fans over the bad call. But, even if the ump hadn't blown the call, it wasn't a given that the Braves would have come back to tie or win it. At some point, a team has to look at themselves in the mirror and say, maybe the ump blew the call, but we stunk up the place. That's why we lost. It's probably not human nature to do that, but the best thing to do would be to learn from what happened and then look ahead to changing things next season

you've summarized the braves role in the game brilliantly, as you so often do. thx.

moneyball 2-indepth article about the 2012 A's. LINK

"The Rangers have a budget of $120 million, and the Angels decided to pay $154 million to try and catch them. The third team in the division, the Seattle Mariners, are laying out $81 million just to hold onto bronze, while the A's looked under the cushions and in the cup holder and scraped up $55 million to apparently play ego booster to the rest of the American League.

In the early season, the A's bullpen didn't get many leads, and when it did, it failed to hold them. Grant Balfour, a 2011 holdover, was sent back to middle relief after he couldn't close. For a team with no margin for error, ninth-inning errors were gut-wrenching. Looking down the bench, Young found Ryan Cook, yet another fringe rookie prospect acquired over the winter, and essentially said, I know you just started, but we need you to finish. Cook did so for three months, and became the A's' sole representative on the American League All-Star team."

Edited by alocispepraluger102