MLB 2012 Season

And the Yankees are still on the hook with ARod for what? five years at 25 million per year?????????

I've seen these numbers quoted, can't vouch for their accuracy though.

2013: $28M (age 37)

2014: $25M (38)

2015: $21M (39)

2016: $20M (40)

2017: $20M (41)

That's proof that there is / is no God -- take your pick...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Yankees are still on the hook with ARod for what? five years at 25 million per year?????????

That's proof that there is / is no God -- take your pick...

that's proof there is a steinbrenner. if you watch the tape of the 13th inning homer(when rodriguez was replaced by a pinch hitter who homered), his initial reaction was not to react as he was standing on the dugout steps. when the others starting celebrating, kkk-rod vigorously joined in. he's not in the lineup tonight, i hear. perhaps kkk-rod needs some of whatever jeter the jet is taking.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Jesus Christ, the Cardinals are like vampires -- where's a stake when you need it? I thought the A's were hard to kill.

What a game ...

I skipped the TV to go with Mike Shannon and the KMOX crew. Shannon started the 9th and repeated a couple of times how important the "Warshington" run was in the 8th. To get the local flavor was something as they are still stunned. Mike Shannon sounds out of breath right now. Wow!

I don't know what Davey Johnson saw in Gio Gonzalez in the 5th that screamed LEAVED ME IN TO FINISH THE INNING, but I'll be damned if I saw it.

I never minded the Giants beating the Rangers in '010, that was natural baseball. What the Cardinals have been doing is Satanic. Wild Card, last day last year, and second Wild Card this year, again with the one strike away, twice...no, this cannot stand.

If the Giants don't have that stake handy, all goodwill is gone and an earthquake will devour both them and the Oaklands, devour them into the fiery hell of a pit of flaming redbirds cackling in fecal mockery of all that is good about life.

And if it gets to a Cards/Yankees World Series, well...to Hell with that! Home field advantage no matter how you look at it!

Edited by JSngry

Ok JK/LOL re:the Oaklands. That was actually kind of fun to see happen, albeit personally painful. But that's ok, I'm a guy, I can compartmentalize. It's what guys do to not destroy everything they touch.

But seriously - Davey Johnson, hey, WTF? Especially since you didn't send him back out for the 6th. WTF?

Jesus Christ, the Cardinals are like vampires -- where's a stake when you need it? I thought the A's were hard to kill.

What a game ...

I skipped the TV to go with Mike Shannon and the KMOX crew. Shannon started the 9th and repeated a couple of times how important the "Warshington" run was in the 8th. To get the local flavor was something as they are still stunned. Mike Shannon sounds out of breath right now. Wow!

IT'S GREAT TO HAVE THE CARDS BACK ON KMOX, WHERE THEY BELONG.

Wow. 4 runs in the 9th???? Holy crap. What a choke job by Washington's BP. Gonna be a lot of 2nd guessing(justified) on how they managed Strasburg this season.

What second guessing?? I don't understand the furor over Strasburg. We moan and groan when players get concussions in contact sports, and about the need for safety, but when a pitcher rips his arm and has to have it reconstructed, it's a sin to actually care about his long term well being? I don't get it.

Heart breaker in last night's game. The Washington closer blew it, simple as that.

Wow. 4 runs in the 9th???? Holy crap. What a choke job by Washington's BP. Gonna be a lot of 2nd guessing(justified) on how they managed Strasburg this season.

What second guessing?? I don't understand the furor over Strasburg. We moan and groan when players get concussions in contact sports, and about the need for safety, but when a pitcher rips his arm and has to have it reconstructed, it's a sin to actually care about his long term well being? I don't get it.

Heart breaker in last night's game. The Washington closer blew it, simple as that.

I'm not criticizing the move to place an innings limit on his arm in order to save his career. That was a good move. The 2nd guessing comes in bc knowing that you are going to place an innings limit on a pitcher would you then want him available for the first six weeks of the season or the last 6 weeks???? I think most baseball fans, at least the ones outside of the DC metro area anyway, think that it would have been better to have Strasburg start the season later and have him ready to pitch into October. Big mistake by the Nats not to plan ahead. And yes they should have known that they had a very good shot at the post season before Strasburg picked up a baseball in spring training. Everyone knew that the Phillies were going to be in trouble w/ Howard scheduled to miss the first half of the season w/ a ruptured achilles.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

The problem with your logic is that in either situation, his performance was going to tail off. Strasbourg was mediocre to awful in his last month, and how would that help the team in the playoffs?

NO ONE expected this team to have the best record in baseball this year, let alone the playoffs. That they would improve, certainly, but contenders? No.

Edited by Stefan Wood

The problem with your logic is that in either situation, his performance was going to tail off. Strasbourg was mediocre to awful in his last month, and how would that help the team in the playoffs?

NO ONE expected this team to have the best record in baseball this year, let alone the playoffs. That they would improve, certainly, but contenders? No.

The problem with your argument is that it is factually incorrect. Go look up his numbers for August and September. In August he went 4-1 with a 2.79 ERA - his 2nd best month of the season. He had two starts in September and won his first while striking out 9 batters!

As to your 2nd point to say that NO ONE expected this team to make the playoffs is, again, wrong. Two out of 8 SI baseball scribes also picked the Nats to make the postseason. http://sportsillustr...2012/index.html

13 writers from ESPN picked them to make the playoffs with two of them picking the Nats to go to the World Series. http://espn.go.com/m...baseball-season

Hell I picked them to win the NL East in my first post in this thread. Berigan also thought they had a shot to make the playoffs and possibly win the East.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

They had the game early on, the Nats did, but Gio let the Cards move too many parts in the 5th - leadoff double, single, walk (that's where I get the pen up, this is a freakin' elimination game after all!)), WP w/bases full (that's where I tell the pen to pick it up, let's get ready NOW)l, walk to re-load the bases (that's where I'd pull him, right there), FC force out at the plate, bases still full (DP would have been better, what pitch did he throw on that one?), walks in another run (DOH!), and then finally gets the 3rd out. "Only" two runs, but eight batters to the plate in the 5th, greatly increasing the odds that they'll be available one more time than they would be otherwise if you put out that fire ASAP.

None of these were especially low pitch-count ABs,as I remember it, either. Too many piches, too many ABs, you're just guaranteeing their hitters see more pitches in the immediate ABs and get more ABs later in the game by not shutting down that outbreak of uncontrolled pitching once it becomes obvious that it's not just a mini-streak that would right itself with a visit from the catcher and/or pitching coach. If you don't bring him back in the 6th, hell, get him out of there before the 5th gets out of hand. Johnson didn't even have anybody warming up. I....don't understand that.

I was also struck by the inability of Nats pitchers to induce any DPs (or to take too many pitches to get to Strike One, but that's another story...). They had a chance in the 6th, but didn't turn it. Yeah, it was a tough one, but not impossible, and I've seen it turned more often than not. No damage done that inning, as the next batter made the third out, but still, that just moves the Cards order one more batter. You gave them one more out that inning, and yeah, you got it there, but that just guarantees one more slot in the lineup gets to bat later in the game. Double plays do more than make that one inning easier, they make the whole game easier, or at least they can. They should. The less times the opposition gets to come to the plate, the less they're able to hurt you. Simple enough, but it's a basic tenet of bullpen management, and....Davey Johnson, wtf?

Plus, there were two low-but-in-the-zone Strike Ones NOT called on Cardinal batters in the 7th & 8th (iirc) that Bob Brimly blamed on Susuki's framing, and ok, but still, umps gotta handle that. They weren't THAT low in the zone. At least one of those led to a Strike 3 being Strike 2, and the batter ended up getting on. I forget who/when, but again, that's just letting the batting order move one more slot, giving an out away (or not having an out given to you for whatever reason), and w/o a DP, you're bringing one more guy to the plate later on than you should be.

An effective call to the bullpen in the 5th, a double play in the 6th, better umpiring and/or catching technique in the 7th & 8th (I think it was those two innings) and you're not facing the same sequence of batters in the 9th that you ended up facing. You have a better chance of winning the game when Satan comes to call.

Sinners beware, and Giants, take heed!

I liked what Barry Larkin said, the Nats didn't lose, the Cards WON. I mean, should the Nats (Davy Johnson) taken out a potential Cy Young winner? Possibly. But, it was 6-3 after 5. Should the Cards have taken out Wainwright, way before he gave up 6 freakin' runs???? Of course! Now thats amazing to me. Cards fans would be calling for the managers head today if the Cards lost...But, Satan, er the Cards don't quit. They missed some huge scoring opportunities, then that final tack on run in the 8th making it 7-5. Game over. But, the cards were amazingly patient against Storen, I think just about everyone was saying, no way am I going to be the last out, still...Holiday and I think Craig struck out on low outside sliders...well, the others, Freeze, Molina, etc...just wouldn't swing at that out pitch. So, if nothing good to hit, take a walk. So, Storen had to go to the fastball, and they KILL fastballs. I know everyone and their brother will blame Storen, or Johnson for not having someone else up in case something like this happened. But, nothing like this has happened....no team has come back in an elimination game like they did.

So, hats off to the Cards, and if they beat the Giants, really hope they can beat the Yankees(assuming they beat the Tigers, but seeing how the Tigers bullpen sux, it will likely be the Yankees)

Jim, surely you'd still root for satan, over SATAN?

Edited by BERIGAN

I'll just not watch and wait for February. Satan can play it out between himself and himself. :g

And do you take out Gio in the 5th when he's obviously losing it, not getting it back together, but is still a potential CY winner? Johnson knows his bullpen far better than me, but nobody even warming up? I decline that option and I still maintain that in an elimiantion game, you never count on a fire to burn itself out, nor do you allow smoke to turn into a fire.

Nats DID lose it by not handling their business once given a 6 run lead. Cards won it by capitalizing on every opportunity, but Nats should have never given them that many opportunities. You go 2-0 on too many hitters, yeah,m you're not carpe-dieming in those circumstances.

A team like the Cardinals, you can't give them shots to get back in the game, because they will (at least they will once it's time to get in the playoffs through whatever back door they see open to them at the time...). You have to throw Strike One, you have to induce DPs, you have to turn them when you get the chance. If you don't they will sure as hell utter their secret chant and get those Weird Baseball Demons a flutterin'.

Look out Giants, be prepared. I've seen this movie before...

The_Birds_original_poster.jpg

Could someone explain to me why Joe Girardi still has A-Rod in the line-up? He's as close as there is to a guaranteed out as I've seen in all my years of wathing baseball. Hopeless, worthless and useless don't even begin to describe him at this point in his career. Five more years of this? Holy jumpin' up and down, Martha!

Edited by Dave James

That's what you get when you try to buy the WS every year.

Go Tigers!

I give up. I can't talk down stats and charts, because I simply don't have the knowledge. I just know I am not talking out of my ass with regards to Strausberg. Like talking politics; I don't have the spirit for it.

It probably is wise for him to rest at this point. I said before since they didn't expect to compete this season(but they should have known anything was possible) started him very slowly, or ala Roger Clemens or Roy Olswalt, and started in June, it wouldn't have been an issue. I think most people would agree it would have better to have him pitching late in the season rather than in April, right? A bit of a moot point now though...but if Gio or Zimmerman(pitcher) miss time next year, and the braves win the division...well, it's wait til next year...but again, I would agree, it can't hurt him(physically) to have this rest...

Could someone explain to me why Joe Girardi still has A-Rod in the line-up? He's as close as there is to a guaranteed out as I've seen in all my years of wathing baseball. Hopeless, worthless and useless don't even begin to describe him at this point in his career. Five more years of this? Holy jumpin' up and down, Martha!

Dave, who would you replace him with? Chavez, who has exactly no hits in 8 AB's?

Don't know if these could today's ab's or not...

Russell Martin .176

Curtis Granderson .158

Alex Rodriguez .125(ok 2 for 16, not including todays action)

Nick Swisher .111

Robinson Cano, the hottest hitter in baseball down the stretch, .091!!!!!!!!!

So, I have to ask, why no anger at those guys? Is this strictly based on how much ownership stupidly decided to pay him? Should he have turned their offer down?

Berigan,

You make a good point. The Yankees lineup isn't an accident waiting to happen, it's and accident that's already happened. This team has made a habit of not hitting in the clutch all season. Now that the playoffs are here, and they're only seeing the best teams with the best pitching, it's just magnifies an ongoing problem. Look, when you get this far, you go with the guys who give you the best chance to win. Needless to say, you can't bench 2/3'rds of your starting line-up, so you make your point by benching the guy who's least likely at this point to snap out of it. That's A-Rod and for more reasons that just his performance. Fact is, the fans are getting ugly and that just makes it worse. I'd keep him out of the lineup tomorrow and put him back when they go to Detroit. If he gets better, he plays. If he doesn't, he sits. The only question is this. Does Girardi have the figs to make it happen? I'll tell you one thing. If I was running that club, I'd be talking a buy-out with whoever is representing A-Rod. The idea of him taking up space and moping around for five more years is too horrible to contemplate.