MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Yankees could afford to lose Valverde as the Tigers' closer, but Leyland says that the staff will meet and discuss.

That's a tough call to make when your closer bombs badly like that twice in three games...he's your guy and you gotta let him get back on, he ain't worth too much if he don't want to, and he's worth even less if he does and then keeps repeating the bombs, so...what do you do? Bring in Al Albuquerque to kiss balls? Talk about disrupting the hitter's rhythm!

Yankees should be fine w/o Jeter. That's a deeply veteran team that should know how to "move on" (to use Girardi's wise post-game words). All the angst about Rivera proved to be just that - angst. It worked out, the team picked up, moved on, and here they are, best record in the AL playing the AL postseason entrant who had the worst regular season record. And yet neither team shows signs of being a consistently dominating one, lots of shifting of favorites depending on scenarios, very....fluid game dynamics, and most of them revolve around pitchers handling their business instead of the batters handling theirs (especially if every game's gonna run 15-20 innings from here on out...who breaks first will not be as important as who breaks last, because at this rate, there will be breakage. Almost has to be.). Jeter not playing is but one piece of what is in theory a very large and wide set of pieces to this puzzle that could fit together any number of ways. Like Girardi said, obviously you feel better having him in, but his absence creates opportunities for others, so...so, Hate the Yankees, but dig Girardi. Go figure that.

I've come to realize that fans angst out a whole more about this type thing than do players. A lot more. And yes, feel free to deliver the first guilty verdict to yours truly.

Berigan,

You make a good point. The Yankees lineup isn't an accident waiting to happen, it's and accident that's already happened. This team has made a habit of not hitting in the clutch all season. Now that the playoffs are here, and they're only seeing the best teams with the best pitching, it's just magnifies an ongoing problem. Look, when you get this far, you go with the guys who give you the best chance to win. Needless to say, you can't bench 2/3'rds of your starting line-up, so you make your point by benching the guy who's least likely at this point to snap out of it. That's A-Rod and for more reasons that just his performance. Fact is, the fans are getting ugly and that just makes it worse. I'd keep him out of the lineup tomorrow and put him back when they go to Detroit. If he gets better, he plays. If he doesn't, he sits. The only question is this. Does Girardi have the figs to make it happen? I'll tell you one thing. If I was running that club, I'd be talking a buy-out with whoever is representing A-Rod. The idea of him taking up space and moping around for five more years is too horrible to contemplate.

Well, A-Rod does look pretty pathetic at the plate right now, doesn't he, doesn't he? Perhaps when he matures, and is 38 like Jeter, or 40 like Ibanez, he will get his stroke back. :smirk:

Of course, the good news is, both of those players have been considered washed up,(ask a certain Philly fan here what he thought of Raul early in 2011) only to prove folks wrong.

But that doesn't help now. Maybe he should just start against lefties, or needs to come off the bench like Ibanez get a hit, to get back on track.

bad night for jeter who fractured an ankle.

LINK

Man, that sucks! Don't want to see the Yankees win yet again, but I want to see teams bet the best yankees team, not just a yankees team.

I bet they win tomorrow, just because.

tyger manager jimmy leyland was very upset about the jeter misfortune and mentioned that he would have a personal word with derek at the appropriate time. leyland's love of the game goes far beyond his selfish interesrs.

if the rest of baseball had 1/10th the class of jeter and leyland...............

Edited by alocispepraluger102

The Mad Bum on the mound tonight vs Lance Lynn.

MLB Tonight goes on about Lynn's Tommy John surgery but those Eastern guys just can't give it to the Giants. Their prediction: Cards will dominate. OK. I'm not saying the Giants are going to win, but do you think the sporting media could at least ONCE pick the Giants? Geez. I've been hearing this stuff all season about how the Giants can't get it done...even after sweeping the Reds at home to win the NLCS.

Just once I'd like to rub the media's smug little noses in it the next time the Giants win after they write them off...again.

Wow.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Mad Bum on the mound tonight vs Lance Lynn.

MLB Tonight goes on about Lynn's Tommy John surgery but those Eastern guys just can't give it to the Giants. Their prediction: Cards will dominate. OK. I'm not saying the Giants are going to win, but do you think the sporting media could at least ONCE pick the Giants? Geez. I've been hearing this stuff all season about how the Giants can't get it done...even after sweeping the Reds at home to win the ALCS.

Just once I'd like to rub the media's smug little noses in it the next time the Giants win after they write them off...again.

Wow.

I know, it's completely stupid how these experts go on about the Cardinals. You'd think they were the team that easily won their division, racked up 94 wins, had the better ERA, had more saves, more shut outs, gave up fewer earned runs. It's true, the West Coast teams never get the props the teams from East & Midwest do, and I don't care what you guys say, it's true. beee.gif

Edited by Matthew

Who gives a darn that Joe Buck is announcing both 49ers & Giants game. Such self-promoting bs. mad.gif Thank goodness I have satellite radio and can listen to the KNBR Giants feed.

I'M LISTENING TO THE CARDS CREW ON KMOX RADIO.

That's the only way to do it with these clowns on Fox. thumbs_up.gif

I know, it's completely stupid how these experts go on about the Cardinals. You'd think they were the team that easily won their division, racked up 94 wins, had the better ERA, had more saves, more shut outs, gave up fewer earned runs.

If you take into account the ballparks (ERA+) the Cards had a better ERA since AT&T is a well know pitcher's park. As for saves, the Cardinals had a much higher run differential so their relievers didn't have as many save opportunities. This is a nice problem to have. :)

And just like that the Giants are coming back. Hmm, Timmy warning up in the pen.

I know, it's completely stupid how these experts go on about the Cardinals. You'd think they were the team that easily won their division, racked up 94 wins, had the better ERA, had more saves, more shut outs, gave up fewer earned runs.

If you take into account the ballparks (ERA+) the Cards had a better ERA since AT&T is a well know pitcher's park. As for saves, the Cardinals had a much higher run differential so their relievers didn't have as many save opportunities. This is a nice problem to have. :)

And just like that the Giants are coming back. Hmm, Timmy warning up in the pen.

Yeah, I thought Timmy was going to start either game 4 or 5 too.

Yeah, I thought Timmy was going to start either game 4 or 5 too.

It sounds like he might. That outing was more or less the equivalent of workout innings between starts. Using Zito as an extra innings reliever made me think "Charlie Leibrandt" for some reason. Sorry Berigan.

As far as East Coast bias, Sports Illustrated had the Giants losing to the Angels in the World Series as their preseason pick. ;)