MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we want to question a starter, question Verlander's performance...I get that he was in "exhibition mode", but the Tigers are not necessarily out of reach of making the Series this year, it's still do-able for them...so at least think about the implications, ya' know?

Call me crazy, but the AL team that's looking like "all the pieces are coming together" at "just the right time" is Detroit...all that veteran grit and the hunger from almost getting there last year...dangerous combination, potentially.

No charge y'all, no charge. :g :g :g

Seriously - all the good feelings I had for the Tigers last year but hey, sorry 'bout that, I can go ahead and have them this year. NEver mind that their record was the worst of all the AL post-season teams. They qualified by any measure and carpe-diemed once there.

If we want to question a starter, question Verlander's performance...I get that he was in "exhibition mode", but the Tigers are not necessarily out of reach of making the Series this year, it's still do-able for them...so at least think about the implications, ya' know?

Call me crazy, but the AL team that's looking like "all the pieces are coming together" at "just the right time" is Detroit...all that veteran grit and the hunger from almost getting there last year...dangerous combination, potentially.

Seriously - all the good feelings I had for the Tigers last year but hey, sorry 'bout that, I can go ahead and have them this year. NEver mind that their record was the worst of all the AL post-season teams. They qualified by any measure and carpe-diemed once there.

So, if St. Louis wins, the two play-off teams with the worst records will meet in the "World Series." I'm starting to think the last real World Series was 1968, everything afterwards is the World Series Tournament.

So, if St. Louis wins, the two play-off teams with the worst records will meet in the "World Series." I'm starting to think the last real World Series was 1968, everything afterwards is the World Series Tournament.

I'll not argue that. But - you DO remember who played in the '68 Series, right?

1968_World_Series_Program_HR.jpg

End of the era of self-entitlement for Yankee fans. Let the new "Horace Clarke" era begin.

yankee fans on new york talk radio are near suicidal, blaming everyone in sight and wanting to get rid of them. :excited::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A5kC9gECQAAdHck.jpg

Really? Should Bain Capital now buy the Yankees?

I mean, c'mon. My dislike for all "this" is not a secret, but I watched the Yankees play this post-season, and came away with a new appreciation of just how veteran that group is. Sure, they almost blew the division lead over the last few weeks of the season, the Orioles were almost their Oaklands, and they struggled to win when they did, but other than yesterday, they fought every step of the way against Detroit, and in all games, one hitter coming through might well have reversed the outcome (well, it actually did in Game 1...).

But that one hitter never came. It happens, especially when you're up against damn good pitching and a team that is on a roll. You saw a lot of patient at-bats too, something else I've come to really appreciate more than before (watching Josh Hamilton all season will do that to you...). Patient, just not successful. Good process, just a bad outcome.Sure, they fell short, but it looked to me that the suffered from the same thing the Rangers did a few weeks earlier - a combination of mental and physical weariness combining to/culminating in finally freeze up their game and playing opponents who were totally unfrozen. At some point, if you don't get unfrozen, you get beat. For the Rangers, it came in the Wild Card game. For the Yankees, it took all the way to the League Championship series.

I was impressed that they got that far, and how they got that far. What it finally came down to was simple - Detroit finally became the team that many objective observers had been waiting all season for them to become, and the Yankees finally became the team that any objective observer knew that they could become this year - old, out of gas, and unable to go to the well one more time. For where the two teams were when the series began, the better team definitely won, but the team that lost was anything but a "loser".

As glad as I was to see the Tigers win (and to a lesser extent, to see the Yankees lose), this whole "loser" thing is just a little sickening, and not at all removed from where we are as a culture - "winners" or "losers", nothing in between, and too damn many people think it's as simple as who you "identify with" instead of what you yourself actually do.

So this year, no Fuck The Yankees, not now. Quite the opposite, in fact (if only for now :g ).

But - Fuck The New York Post, and Fuck All That It Implies, and Fuck All Who Take That Bait And Swallow That Bullshit.

Edited by JSngry

OTOH: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/harper-yankee-admits-bombers-jolted-bronx-jeers-article-1.1187331#ixzz29kkqD2dK

And while A-Rod blamed two weeks of postseason futility at the plate, saying it “sucked the energy out of us," another player privately made a far more indicting observation: that the ballclub was affected by the hostility from the fans at Yankee Stadium last weekend.

“I really think the booing spooked a lot of guys," the player said. “A lot of guys hadn’t been booed before, and they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands."

Obviously Nick Swisher admitted to being sensitive to such treatment after Game 2, but the player said Swisher was far from alone in his reaction.

“A lot of guys were talking about it in the clubhouse," he said. “I was surprised by how much it bothered them. I really don’t think they ever recovered."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/harper-yankee-admits-bombers-jolted-bronx-jeers-article-1.1187331#ixzz29l0nYO3b

Really? You play in New York and getting booed "bothers" you?

Wow.

Barry Zito on the mound. Ugh.

Unless there is a small miracle, the Giants' season is over tonight.

End of the era of self-entitlement for Yankee fans. Let the new "Horace Clarke" era begin.

yankee fans on new york talk radio are near suicidal, blaming everyone in sight and wanting to get rid of them. :excited::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bunch of spoiled whiners.

Win the WS or you're nothing to them. Wow.

may i extend precondolences, goody? last evening, the gigantes looked nearly as inept as this years feeble incarnation of the legendary pinstripers.

may i extend precondolences, goody? last evening, the gigantes looked nearly as inept as this years feeble incarnation of the legendary pinstripers.

You won't get an argument from me.

Go hard or go home time.

Go hard or go home time.

Yeah, the Giants looked like a beat team last night, no spark at all. It will be interesting to see what Lincecum does in the off season, he is notorious for going his on way in terms of conditioning, his pitching mechanics, etc. It's clear he needs to bulk up, and get a new approach -- whether he does that or not might tell the tale of a athlete on the downside of a great career.

Go hard or go home time.

Yeah, the Giants looked like a beat team last night, no spark at all. It will be interesting to see what Lincecum does in the off season, he is notorious for going his on way in terms of conditioning, his pitching mechanics, etc. It's clear he needs to bulk up, and get a new approach -- whether he does that or not might tell the tale of a athlete on the downside of a great career.

I agree.

He's not been the Lincecum of the Cy Young years since the last couple months of the 2011 season. He's hanging everything and his velocity is way down. Maybe if he quit smoking the happy plant he'd get it back. Who knows.

Go hard or go home time.

I agree.

He's not been the Lincecum of the Cy Young years since the last couple months of the 2011 season. He's hanging everything and his velocity is way down. Maybe if he quit smoking the happy plant he'd get it back. Who knows.

i really hope that lincecum regains his form and velocity next year. seeing talent like his not being realized, for whatever reason, is very difficult.

---------

San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey and Tampa Bay Rays closer Fernando Rodney have been named Major League Baseball's Comeback Players of the Year, according to the league's official Twitter feed.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Agreed!

as js were saying----------

If the St. Louis Cardinals win the NLCS, it will mark the first time a World Series will have two teams who didn't win at least 90 games in a full regular season.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

And yet in 1968 there were just 20 teams. Want to go back to no teams in San Diego, Arlington, etc.? I'm a grump too about the "let's give everybody a ribbon" society but it would be ridiculous to have 2 teams come out of 30 that we have today. The reason we have the wild card is that often it ends up being the 2nd best team, especially since we've moved to 3 divisions (see the Tigers). The 2nd wild card is here to try to give more incentive to winning the division and avoid a one game playoff, lest some dumb ump call a play wrong and end your season like that. While the old ways produced an occasional memorable race like the AL in '67 and the NL in '64, more often than not the seasons were runaways. The modern system has given us so many terrific playoff games & series since '68 I feel it's pointless to list them all. It's not like the NFL, NBA or the NHL...yet.