MLB 2012 Season

Still a pretty amazing feat.

I just wish the Eastern press would get on board with that concept. They negative-sold the WS so much that the ESPN folks took a beating in the TV ratings/market share. NOBODY would give the Giants a chance and yet they posted MLB record after HR record after comeback prowess...on the road, no less.

C'mon, say it with me: The San Francisco Giants ARE that good.

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They ARE that good, they just don't fit the Existing Ongoing Business Narrative.

But, you know it, I know, a lot of people know it, so fuck the Existing Ongoing Business Narrative and let's just watch baseball.

Oh, wait, there's no baseball to watch right now,at least not easily...so....hold that thought! :g

I just wish the Eastern press would get on board with that concept. They negative-sold the WS so much that the ESPN folks took a beating in the TV ratings/market share.

Sports Illustrated picked the Giants to make it to the World Series at the beginning of the year. The humorous thing was not a single "expert" amongst SI or ESPN got the final matchup right at the start of the playoffs. But the "East Coast bias" stuff I hear is just so pathetic. I've lived out on this coast for 26 years and it makes me want to slap people for being such pussies. As far as ESPN's World Series ratings, well duh... And lest we forget, the all NY World Series of 2000 had craptacular ratings. Nowadays except in unusual circumstances like Boston's first appearance since '86 the ratings tend to suck until they around to game 6. And I just don't care about ratings.

They ARE that good, they just don't fit the Existing Ongoing Business Narrative.

But, you know it, I know, a lot of people know it, so fuck the Existing Ongoing Business Narrative and let's just watch baseball.

Oh, wait, there's no baseball to watch right now,at least not easily...so....hold that thought! :g

Well put.

I just wish the Eastern press would get on board with that concept. They negative-sold the WS so much that the ESPN folks took a beating in the TV ratings/market share.

Sports Illustrated picked the Giants to make it to the World Series at the beginning of the year. The humorous thing was not a single "expert" amongst SI or ESPN got the final matchup right at the start of the playoffs. But the "East Coast bias" stuff I hear is just so pathetic. I've lived out on this coast for 26 years and it makes me want to slap people for being such pussies. As far as ESPN's World Series ratings, well duh... And lest we forget, the all NY World Series of 2000 had craptacular ratings. Nowadays except in unusual circumstances like Boston's first appearance since '86 the ratings tend to suck until they around to game 6. And I just don't care about ratings.

Good point.

However, I have lived on the West Coast my entire life [58 years]. The East Coast bias is as palatable as it gets when we are talking California anything. Maybe it's different where you are, I don't know. But as a native Californian, I hear this East Coast superiority crap all the time; in the media, from people who move here [especially from those who still root for NY teams long after settling in this state] and from East Coast fans who fill ATT and Candlestick Parks with their bellowing obnoxiousness.

It is alive and well, my friend.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Well, don't conclude you have to be in another time zone to be overlooked by the eastern press. I would say it's more like the NY-New England press. They overlook us here in Washington when it comes to sports!! The press corps here can barely conceal how much they would rather be in NY or Boston (most of them).

However, I have lived on the West Coast 58 years. The East Coast bias is as palatable as it gets when we are talking California anything. Maybe it's different where you are, I don't know. But as a native Californian, I hear this east Coast superiority crap all the time; in the media, from people who move here [especially from those who still root for NY teams long after settling in this state] and from East Coast fans who fill ATT or Candlestick parks with their bellowing obnoxiousness.

It is alive and well, my friend.

Hey - if not for the Yankees, we'd all be listening to Merle Haggard do play-by-play!

So you better RECOGNIZE! :g

But seriously - our local ESPN station was airing the NYY/BoSox last game of the regular season, and the announcers (ESPN guys, not a local feed from either team) were jizzing on about "Yankees circling the bases, it's October, it's magical!!! We're going to be seeing a LOT of that!!!" and I'm all like, uh...yeah, if you say so. Never mind that it was an old as fuck team who had been non-homerly offensively challenged for going on a few months, never mind that did anybody really expect that Red Sox team on that day to NOT lay a shitegg in any/every way possible, never mind that Detroit's starters were really finding their groove, never mind anything resembling objective reality was being discussed, never mind that the only OTHER thing they could talk about was Bobby Valentine, never mind that I just fucking shut the damn game off after about 10 minutes of all that, I was just left wondering why it took me THAT long.

OTOH, Sports Center is now headquartered out of LA.

Well, don't conclude you have to be in another time zone to be overlooked by the eastern press. I would say it's more like the NY-New England press. They overlook us here in Washington when it comes to sports!! The press corps here can barely conceal how much they would rather be in NY or Boston (most of them).

That's a fact, too.

I mean, during the playoffs all we got on any sports show was flap over A-Rod. Even after the Yankees were eliminated.

Pablo Sandoval hits three HRs in Game 1 of the WS [and off Detroit's ace Verlander] to become only the fourh player to accomplish that feat in MLB history and it gets maybe one day's worth of media coverage. The day after the WS ended, NOTHING in the Eastern controlled media about the outcome or ensuing celebrations. Not one word. If it was the Yankees that's all we'd hear about until next Spring. Amazing.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Hey - if not for the Yankees, we'd all be listening to Merle Haggard do play-by-play!

After that came up in that other thread I looked up where he recorded many (most? all?) of his Capitol sides and it was Hollywood. So hooray for Hollywood! :lol:

If one feels the Giants didn't get enough attention or recognition part of it was their own fault for being such a well-mannered team that was well-managed. Imagine pulling your 3rd or 4th best pitcher out of the rotation during the LCS and fixing a mechanical problem and having him ready and able to excel in a World Series start? And he didn't complain. And even bigger was taking Lincecum who had struggled for most of the season and again, without complaint, having him come out of the pen and for the most part dominate. The bench was hurt by the Melky affair and this was obvious when they used Theriot as a DH. It reminded me a little of the lack of power on the '88 Dodgers or '72 A's (with Reggie out) though of course both of those teams won too. But they again did the right thing and kept Melky off the team even though legally he could have played in the World Series. The "fault" of the Giants is there were no complainers, along with having a final opponent who were promoted beyond their ability to succeed. (If only the Tigers could have faced the White Sox). ;) And so the other problem was it wasn't the most exciting series because of the Tigers' inability to play champion caliber ball.

Amongst my baseball friends who are not Giants fans every one remarked before the series that the Giants just looked like a team of destiny. The catcher looks like he just got out of an Eagle Scout uniform - even his name Buster is boyish. Pablo is essentially a West Coast David Ortiz "folk hero" (you have to be "big boned" to be a folk hero btw) who failed to take the locker room interview bait when asked about being benched in 2010. The staff was terrific and there was the redemption of Zito. Bochy is making a case for the Hall of Fame. In fact given the extreme differences in the make up of this team and the 2010 one it's unprecedented.

Oddly enough if you make the cut off year 2002 when the Giants last appeared, both the Cards & Giants have had more pennants than the Yankees in that time. (And yes, obviously dial it back just another year and the Yankees appear. But what have ya done lately?) ;)

Anyway, enjoy the well-deserved title and team that is hard to find fault with as they seem to be a bunch of good guys who came together blah blah blah. :)

Tigers had been building for the last few weeks of September and finally came together where a lot of people (myself included) expected them to be long before then. But a team that took that long to gel just as easily un-gelled during the layoff. Something was missing there...like...speed, maybe? Not so much fatness? Just too long for the 0-60 if you know what I mean, and coming back from the layoff was going to very much be a 0-60 thing.

Giants, otoh, like you say, kept an even keel for the better part of the year and just kept playing solid ball. Bochy gets solid props in my book for guiding all that, because it could have been really easy to let it get away at any point, Lincecum, Zito, Melky, those are the big ones I know about from not really following the team..was it this year that Huff flaked out? That too... So yeah, Giants get big recognition and respect here, for whatever that's worth.

Now, how 'bout that Soriano? :g :g :g

Edited by JSngry

After that came up in that other thread I looked up where he recorded many (most? all?) of his Capitol sides and it was Hollywood. So hooray for Hollywood! :lol:

If one feels the Giants didn't get enough attention or recognition part of it was their own fault for being such a well-mannered team that was well-managed. Imagine pulling your 3rd or 4th best pitcher out of the rotation during the LCS and fixing a mechanical problem and having him ready and able to excel in a World Series start? And he didn't complain. And even bigger was taking Lincecum who had struggled for most of the season and again, without complaint, having him come out of the pen and for the most part dominate. The bench was hurt by the Melky affair and this was obvious when they used Theriot as a DH. It reminded me a little of the lack of power on the '88 Dodgers or '72 A's (with Reggie out) though of course both of those teams won too. But they again did the right thing and kept Melky off the team even though legally he could have played in the World Series. The "fault" of the Giants is there were no complainers, along with having a final opponent who were promoted beyond their ability to succeed. (If only the Tigers could have faced the White Sox). ;) And so the other problem was it wasn't the most exciting series because of the Tigers' inability to play champion caliber ball.

Amongst my baseball friends who are not Giants fans every one remarked before the series that the Giants just looked like a team of destiny. The catcher looks like he just got out of an Eagle Scout uniform - even his name Buster is boyish. Pablo is essentially a West Coast David Ortiz "folk hero" (you have to be "big boned" to be a folk hero btw) who failed to take the locker room interview bait when asked about being benched in 2010. The staff was terrific and there was the redemption of Zito. Bochy is making a case for the Hall of Fame. In fact given the extreme differences in the make up of this team and the 2010 one it's unprecedented.

Oddly enough if you make the cut off year 2002 when the Giants last appeared, both the Cards & Giants have had more pennants than the Yankees in that time. (And yes, obviously dial it back just another year and the Yankees appear. But what have ya done lately?) ;)

Anyway, enjoy the well-deserved title and team that is hard to find fault with as they seem to be a bunch of good guys who came together blah blah blah. :)

Good point.

Controversy is the focal point of the sporting media any more, this is true. But dammit! This is only the second time my guys win the WS since moving to California and the Eastern media treats it like a jaywalking ticket: Nothing special here, just a minor annoyance. Next.

Grrrrrr :angry:

Tigers had been building for the last few weeks of September and finally came together where a lot of people (myself included) expected them to be long before then. But a team that took that long to gel just as easily un-gelled during the layoff. Something was missing there...like...speed, maybe? Not so much fatness? Just too long for the 0-60 if you know what I mean, and coming back from the layoff was going to very much be a 0-60 thing.

Giants, otoh, like you say, kept an even keel for the better part of the year and just kept playing solid ball. Bochy gets solid props in my book for guiding all that, because it could have been really easy to let it get away at any point, Lincecum, Zito, Melky, those are the big ones I know about from not really following the team..was it this year that Huff flaked out? That too... So yeah, Giants get big recognition and respect here, for whatever that's worth.

Now, how 'bout that Soriano? :g :g :g

Apparently, being good isn't good enough.

Grrrrr :angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak