MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the legendary vin scully is currently announcing the houston at dodger game on mlb-tv, which is free for many folks.

Yeah, caught some of that before watching a movie...how can he, in his mid 80's, still do the work of 2 broadcasters??? :blink:

I was also thinking how someone , say 20 years old in 1950, could have listened to him do Brooklyn Dodger games, now, 62 plus years later, flips through the channels late night in May of 2012, and hears him still broadcasting Dodger games...

the legendary vin scully is currently announcing the houston at dodger game on mlb-tv, which is free for many folks.

Yeah, caught some of that before watching a movie...how can he, in his mid 80's, still do the work of 2 broadcasters??? :blink:

I was also thinking how someone , say 20 years old in 1950, could have listened to him do Brooklyn Dodger games, now, 62 plus years later, flips through the channels late night in May of 2012, and hears him still broadcasting Dodger games...

One of the most refreshing aspects of Scully is that he knows when to shut up. It can be so annoying when you have these three man booths and they feel that someone has to be talking all the time. You get lots of inanities and even more plain hot air. A couple of years ago Ken Singleton & Paul O'Neill were due to broadcast a Yanks/Os game in Baltimore. O'Neill had plane problems and never made it to the game, so Singleton did it solo. It was a joy to listen to, Singleton let the pictures tell the story at times, and he actually let the game breathe. I wish we could get more games called by one guy.

Edited by PHILLYQ

One of the most refreshing aspects of Scully is that he knows when to shut up. It can be so annoying when you have these three man booths and they feel that someone has to be talking all the time. You get lots of inanities and even more plain hot air. A couple of years ago Ken Singleton & Paul O'Neill were due to broadcast a Yanks/Os game in Baltimore. O'Neill had plane problems and never made it to the game, so Singleton did it solo. It was a joy to listen to, Singleton let the pictures tell the story at times, and he actually let the game breathe. I wish we could get more games called by one guy.

I think Michael Kay is the biggest blowhard of the bunch, not to mention John Sterling on the radio.

Vin Scully is, by far, my most favorite booth announcer alive today....and you're getting that from a die-hard Dodger Hater. Scully is hands-down the best in the biz.

But as a day-to-day announcing with character and an encyclopedic knowledge of the game from a player's perspective, you simply cannot beat Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow. Those guys bring ballplayer humor and from a point of view fans never see. The subtle dugout nuances and back-door dry wit only a Pro would experience rival anyone in the biz, IMHO.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I think Michael Kay is the biggest blowhard of the bunch, not to mention John Sterling on the radio.

Kay is a bigmouth, but IMHO no one is as bad as Sterling. 'It is high, it is far, it is-caught by the second baseman'. Worst on radio by a mile.

But as a day-to-day announcing with character and an encyclopedic knowledge of the game from a player's perspective, you simply cannot beat Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow. Those guys bring ballplayer humor and from a point of view fans never see. The subtle dugout nuances and back-door dry wit only a Pro would experience rival anyone in the biz, IMHO.

We get that same ex-player dryness (although perhaps with a different "accent") on Rangers radio from Steve Busby.

Busby & Eric Nadel have turned into some of the best radio guys out there, afaic. Then again, I'm partial to radio baseball on general principles.

Nationals keep cruising along. One can only imagine what will happen when all their injured players return. Gio Gonzalez is the best pitcher in baseball right now and then there's Strasburg.

Edited by mr jazz

Nationals keep cruising along. One can only imagine what will happen when all their injured players return. Gio Gonzalez is the best pitcher in baseball right now and then there's Strasburg.

They really are doing well, and they are missing their #1 and #2 closers, Worth, Morse(2/3rds of what was supposed to be the starting outfield) and the starting catcher. I bet they win the NL East.

the Braves on the other hand...

they were in a tie for best team in the East..then...lost 8 games in a row, now in a tie for last place.

sure, their have been injuries, and sicknesses(strangest injury, Freddie Freeman scratched his corneas rubbing his eyes while at a windy game in Denver a few weeks back, and he's had problems seeing the ball ever since ) Chipper had a leg contusion that he just had minor surgery on(only guy on DL) but this is ridiculous! Whole team is failing, bullpen(though I imagine it's in part to do with being overworked last year) starters, Jair Jurrjens is still in AAA, Mike Minor has a May ERA barely under 10, but he's a Lefty, so keep running him out there... And the other kids that are so very spectacular , you couldn't dream of trading them...well, Randall Delgado is "ok" looking...he has a good changeup. Julio Terhan is probably the one with the highest ceiling...still, I never quite see what they say he has, upper 90's fastball.

Braves are hitting like the did in September, meaning, not at all. Jason Heyward...looks better at the plate, but the fact is he's hitting .236 with 6 Hr's . I sure hope he isn't a bust, and he is young...but Giancarlo (sp) Stanton looks miles above him as a hitter now...Anyway...enough about the braves, in short, they suck....

Edited by BERIGAN

The rich get richer? I'm supposed to feel...something about that coming from a Yankee fan? Not in this lifetime. :g

Not sure if it's a good thing or not, the Oswalt sigining...he's old and nowhere near as dominant a pitcher as he used to be.

But as a fill-in for Feliz (who's definitely the better investment long-term, at least if his elbow's not permanently jacked, which nobody's ever said that it is, no TJ surgery or anything), he's gotta be be better than Scott Feldman. Feldman's been given chances to step up and hasn't. Not even slightly. So...fuck him, at least as a fifth starter.

And meanwhile, while nobody's looking, the Angels have gotten hot. Rangers' pitching has got to stop fucking around with inconsistency and start dealing. To the end that Oswalt can contribute to that end, it's a good signing. But he's a month away from stepping in. A lot can happen in a month.

We get that same ex-player dryness (although perhaps with a different "accent") on Rangers radio from Steve Busby.

Busby & Eric Nadel have turned into some of the best radio guys out there, afaic. Then again, I'm partial to radio baseball on general principles.

I like radio games, too.

Especially on long trips in the car.

Rangers' pitching has got to stop fucking around with inconsistency

All I know is Harrison & Holland, our supposed stars, better get their shit together and FAST! Especially Holland. His star is fading rapidly, particularly after giving up 8 runs in 1-1/3 innings en route to a embarrassing 21-8 loss. Hopefully Wash ripped the pitching staff a new one tonight...

Edited by Big Al

NO-HAN!

Incredible feat for any pitcher but for one coming off of a torn rotator cuff that's amazing.

He threw 134 pitches, the most he's ever thrown in one game. Hopefully, there are no lingering after effects. I know it would have been unthinkable to pull him when he's pitching a no-no, but, man, that is really pushing the envelope.

NO-HAN!

Incredible feat for any pitcher but for one coming off of a torn rotator cuff that's amazing.

He threw 134 pitches, the most he's ever thrown in one game. Hopefully, there are no lingering after effects. I know it would have been unthinkable to pull him when he's pitching a no-no, but, man, that is really pushing the envelope.

After major arm surgery, he's now thrown two complete game shutouts in a row with tonight's no-no. Amazing, I tip my cap to him and I'm a Yank fan.