Mysteries of Country Music

skeith

I am very surprised that so many songs by Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, and George Jones talk about drinking wine. Somehow I find it hard to imagine these guys stepping up to a bar in Texas or Bakersfield or Nashville in the 1950s or 60s (when these songs were written) and ordering a glass of "chilled Chardonay" or the "latest Beaujolais" or some such thing. I would imagine that in those locales in those days a man doing that would be considered something less of a man (probably be thought of as gay) and get his ass kicked. Did they order by the glass or by the bottle?

Also a number of songs have the following lyric or something close to it:

"I matched a man behind the bar for the jukebox" - Translation please?

(Let me state that I greatly love all three of these guys and I do not intend to offend any current residents of those locales)

A bottle of cheap wine goes a long way towards...wherever. White port was a favorite where I came from, unless you were an out-and-out wino, and then it was Mad Dog or some such.

As for that lyric, that's "Little Old Wine Drinker Me", right? I think the actual lyric is "I've asked the man behind the bar for the jukebox". If not, yu got me as to what it means.

A bottle of cheap wine goes a long way towards...wherever. White port was a favorite where I came from, unless you were an out-and-out wino, and then it was Mad Dog or some such.

As for that lyric, that's "Little Old Wine Drinker Me", right? I think the actual lyric is "I've asked the man behind the bar for the jukebox". If not, yu got me as to what it means.

Thanks JSangry,

I was thinking of Little Ole Wine Drinker Me as one example - but there are many more songs with that lyric. For example in the Buck Owens Classic "A-11" he seems to say "I heard you matching for the music" and there are other tunes but I can't remember them now.

If Haggard is saying "asked" ... not sure that makes much sense either.

Edited by skeith

I am very surprised that so many songs by Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, and George Jones talk about drinking wine. Somehow I find it hard to imagine these guys stepping up to a bar in Texas or Bakersfield or Nashville in the 1950s or 60s (when these songs were written) and ordering a glass of "chilled Chardonay" or the "latest Beaujolais" or some such thing. I would imagine that in those locales in those days a man doing that would be considered something less of a man (probably be thought of as gay) and get his ass kicked. Did they order by the glass or by the bottle?

(Let me state that I greatly love all three of these guys and I do not intend to offend any current residents of those locales)

I burnt a man alive for playing Sylvester's You Make Me Feel Mighty Real on our local jukebox.

Sounds like the bartender put money in the jukebox, then he matched that amount just to keep it going.

That sounds about right.

Best explanation I have heard yet. Thanks Neal!!!

I burnt a man alive for playing Sylvester's You Make Me Feel Mighty Real on our local jukebox.

Really? well I shot a man in Reno, just for pissing on my thread!!!

Edited by skeith

Sounds like the bartender put money in the jukebox, then he matched that amount just to keep it going.

That sounds about right.

Sorry, about that. I didn't read your thread closely enough. I thought you were being partly tongue in cheek. Please accept my apologies, and offer any insights you might care to if you can help on the similar thread re-Jazz titles.

That sounds about right.

Sorry, about that. I didn't read your thread closely enough. I thought you were being partly tongue in cheek. Please accept my apologies, and offer any insights you might care to if you can help on the similar thread re-Jazz titles.

I wasn't really going to shoot you... and it's ok. Now where is this other thread you are talking about.

Thank you for accepting my apology. But I know men have been shot for less in those parts :)

However I must warn you that I have been known to walk the earth there...you know like Kwai Chang Caine :w

2854106630102774342S600x600Q85.jpg

The other thread is a very interesting one too, re-asking for help or posting solutions to mysterious song/album titles. I started it off with some Ronald Shannon Jackson titles.

Thank you for accepting my apology. But I know men have been shot for less in those parts :)

However I must warn you that I have been known to walk the earth there...you know like Kwai Chang Caine :w

2854106630102774342S600x600Q85.jpg

The other thread is a very interesting one too, re-asking for help or posting solutions to mysterious song/album titles. I started it off with some Ronald Shannon Jackson titles.

which forum is the other thread in?