New Release of '56 JATP in Seattle

medjuck

Email I sent to friend:

Bought a copy of this 2-CD set:

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-At-Philharmonic-Seattle-1956/dp/B005EN4JKK/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1329508816&sr=1-2

after I saw it extolled by Dan Morgenstern and others, and so far am pleasantly surprised. Both the Swing and Modern sets are very good (Roy is both excitable and often on fire in the former, and Jo Jones takes a long interesting solo; Dizzy is in stunning form on the latter, with Stitt [on alto] and Getz also quite intense). The MJO set, very well recorded, as is the whole concert, is not routine. The Krupa set is a loss IMO aside from Dave McKenna (can't stand Eddie Shu, couldn't back then either), haven't yet heard

the Peterson and Ella sets. Side one is worth the price.

It would be nice if folks like me could issue music by big names without paying them - or not.

This is our competition.

I hope a few think of the consequences.

I must have misread the article included in the first post. I was under the impression that this was acquired legitimately by the folks in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Received this yesterday. It IS officially licensed. For those who care about such things, it is a CD-R.

Good stuff. Typical JATP circus. Good MJQ set. Good MJQ with Stitt, Getz, Gillespie set. Good Krupa Quartet set. One unique item -- Ella playing harmonica for the entire last tune on disc 2.

• 2 months later...

Received this yesterday. It IS officially licensed. For those who care about such things, it is a CD-R.

Good stuff. Typical JATP circus. Good MJQ set. Good MJQ with Stitt, Getz, Gillespie set. Good Krupa Quartet set. One unique item -- Ella playing harmonica for the entire last tune on disc 2.

Licensed from...........

Multiple rights owners here.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...