6 New Trio Releases

JETman

Today, I decided to focus my listening on 6 recently acquired and released trio recordings. They were all highly anticipated, and I'm happy to say that none of them disappoint.

1. Masabumi Kikuchi (p), Thomas Morgan (b), Paul Motian (d) - Sunrise (ECM)

2. Estbjorn Svensson (p), Dan Berglund (b), Magnus Ostrom (d) - 301 (ACT)

3. Jonny King (p), Ed Howard (b), Victor Lewis (d) - Above All (Sunnyside)

4. Brad Mehldau (p), Larry Grenadier (b), Jeff Ballard (d) - Ode (Nonesuch)

5. Enrico Pieranunzi (p), Scott Colley (b), Antonio Sanchez (d) - Permutation (Cam Jazz)

6. Steve Lehman (as), Matt Brewer (b), Damion Reid (d) - Dialect Fluorescent (Pi Recordings)

The Kikuchi is Paul Motian's final recorded studio appearance, and consists of 10 improvised pieces. Very spare, very dark, very intense stuff.

The E.S.T. recording consists of "leftovers" from the sessions for "Leucocyte" which was recorded mere months before Estbjorn Svensson's untimely passing. The music is consistently exciting, leaving me to wonder why any of the tracks were left off the final album in the first place.

The Jonny King represents a return to recording for a pianist who showed lots of promise during his "young lion" days in the early to mid-90s. His Criss Cross and Enja recordings were highly touted at the time of their release. As always, Victor Lewis is the perfect drummer for the occasion.

The Brad Mehldau trio cd is the most highly-publicized of the bunch. As usual the trio plays to a high level, but for me, the concept does not show the level of maturity that I would expect at this point in the trio's development.

In direct contrast, the new trio record from the highly-underrated Enrico Pieranunzi shows a maturity in its concept that Mehldau should hope to achieve in the future. The rock solid rhythm team of Colley and Sanchez is nothing short of remarkable, and provides Pieranunzi with exactly the type of support he needs to further fuel his already highly-developed ideas.

The trio release I was most looking forward to hearing was Steve Lehman's, as the piano-less trio configuration is a favorite of mine. Over the last decade or so, Lehman has shown a consistent progression in his development. This record is short (about 45 minutes), sweet, to the point and kicks some serious ass. The playing is inventive and crisp. To add to the fun, Lehman covers Trane's "Moment's Notice", Duke Pearson's "Jeannine" and Jackie Mac's "Mr. E". This is yet another triumph for Liberty Ellman and Pi Recordings.

Edited by JETman

The trio release I was most looking forward to hearing was Steve Lehman's, as the piano-less trio configuration is a favorite of mine. Over the last decade or so, Lehman has shown a consistent progression in his development. This record is short (about 45 minutes), sweet, to the point and kicks some serious ass. The playing is inventive and crisp. To add to the fun, Lehman covers Trane's "Moment's Notice", Duke Pearson's "Jeannine" and Jackie Mac's "Mr. E". This is yet another triumph for Liberty Ellman and Pi Recordings.

Cool! I've never heard Lehman play Jazz with a capital "J." I'm getting this one.

The Brad Mehldau trio cd is the most highly-publicized of the bunch. As usual the trio plays to a high level, but for me, the concept does not show the level of maturity that I would expect at this point in the trio's development.

In direct contrast, the new trio record from the highly-underrated Enrico Pieranunzi shows a maturity in its concept that Mehldau should hope to achieve in the future. The rock solid rhythm team of Colley and Sanchez is nothing short of remarkable, and provides Pieranunzi with exactly the type of support he needs to further fuel his already highly-developed ideas.

I'm curious about how you would define "maturity of concept." What makes a concept mature or not mature?

I agree about the Kikuchi and Lehman. Both strong and vital releases in very different ways - one quite in your face (Lehman, love the production too) the other a quiet storm.

Listened to Mehldau on Spotify and either i've heard too many of his and I'm sated or it's all beginning to sound a little formulaic. I'd not enjoyed the trio as much since Ballard's arrival, just doesn't seem to have the flexibility that Rossy brought to the beat. Shame as I had high hopes for it.

Piernanunzi, i'd stopped buying only as I'd a fair number but he's certainly an interesting player. Similarly with EST - asking myself, do I need another recording by them, although the previous posthumous relaese from the same sessions was a very stimulating listen

I'm curious about how you would define "maturity of concept." What makes a concept mature or not mature?

It's difficult for me to explain without your having heard the cd. Hell, I've listened to it several tines and I can't properly put it into words. I think mjazzg put it better than I could in post #4. A little too formulaic, and nothing that I hadn't heard from Mehldau before. Don't get me wrong -- it's a good enough album musically, but as someone who has been following him from the beginning, I was expecting more. You, of course, might have a differing viewpoint.

good thing they're not quartets - I'd run out of fingers and toes.

Say it along with me (several times if necessary): "Six times four equals twenty-four".

I guess this is yet another demonstration of why growing up in NYC beats the holy hell out of growing up on Long Guyland!

I agree about the Kikuchi and Lehman. Both strong and vital releases in very different ways - one quite in your face (Lehman, love the production too) the other a quiet storm.

I know none of these but reckon the Kikuchi and Lehman could find a home in my collection. I have enough EST/Mehldau to last some time and to be honest I'm tired of both.

Edited by Clunky