New batch of Fresh Sound reissues

mikeweil

Whatever one might think of them, they are picking up now where Fantasy/Concord stopped when they started their deal with Universal, and go beyond - the Johnny Lytle or John Wright still awaited reissue.

New releases

FSRCD 698 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

This Here Is Bobby Timmons + Easy Does It (2 Lps On 1 Cd)

Bobby Timmons

Featuring: Bobby Timmons (p), Sam Jones (b), Jimmy Cobb (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 697_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Gigi Gryce Quintet, Feat. Richard Williams & Richard Wyands 1960-1961 (4 Lps On 2 Cds)

Gigi Gryce

Featuring: Richard Williams (tp), Gigi Gryce (as), Richard Wyands (p), Eddie Costa (vib), Reggie Workman, Julian Euell, George Duvivier (b), Mickey Roker, Bobby Thomas, Walter Perkins (d)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 696 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Blue Vibes + Happy Ground (2 Lps On 1 Cd)

Johnny Lytle

Featuring: Johnny Lytle (vb), Milt Harris (org), Albert 'Tootie' Heath, William 'Peppy' Hinnant (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 695 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Blues Up & Down: Boss Tenors + Dig Him! (2 Lps On 1 Cd)

Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 694_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Sings Lullabies For Losers + Change Of Scenery + Have You Forgotten? (3 Lps On 2 Cd) + Bonus Tracks

Ethel Ennis

Featuring: Ethel Ennis (vcl), Hank Jones (p), Eddie Briggs (g), Abie Baker (b), Kenny Clarke (d). Ray Ellis, Neal Hefti & Sid Feller Orchestras & Arrangements

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 693 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Jazz Ain't Nothin' But Soul (+ Bonus Tracks)

Norman Mapp

Featuring: Norman Mapp (vcl), Clark Terry (tp), Seldon Powell (ts, fl), Tommy Flanagan (p), George Duvivier, Peck Morrison (b), Dave Bailey (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 692_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

John Wright Trio & Quartet (4 Lps On 2 Cds)

John Wright

Featuring: John Wright (p), Wendell Roberts, Wendell Marshall, Eugene Taylor (b), Walter McCants, J.C. Heard, Roy Brooks (d), Eddy 'Cat-Eye' Williams (ts)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 1658 - Other Fresh Sound Records Series

Walter Benton Quintet - Out Of This World

Walter Benton

Featuring: Freddie Hubbard (tp), Walter Benton (ts), Wynton Kelly (p), Paul Chambers (b), Jimmy Cobb, Albert 'Tootie' Heath (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 1657 - Other Fresh Sound Records Series

Blue Jubilee

Joe Alexander

Featuring: John Hunt (tp, flh), Joe Alexander (ts), Bobby Timmons (p), Sam Jones (b), Albert “Tootie” Heath (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 1654 - Other Fresh Sound Records Series

Ted Mcnabb & Co. - Big Band Swing / Arrangements By Marion Evans

Ted McNabb

Featuring: Bernie Glow, Doc Severinsen, Burt Collins (tp), Urbie Green, Frank Rehak, Sy Berger (tb), Dick Hixon (b-tb), Gene Quill, Dick Meldonian (as), Al Cohn, Zoot Sims (ts), Sol Schlinger (bs), Nat Pierce (p), Barry Galbraith (g), Milt Hinton (b), Osie Johnson (

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see Joe Alexander in that list. Fantasy or Concorde should have reissued that one.

Yes indeed!

But it will, alas, likely stink, soundwise...

I'd love to see a proper reissue of Gryce's "Reminiscin'" - can't someone tell the Japanese to please do that one?

Also would love to see that one Sonny Red album that's not been out (with Lateef, nevertheless!) in a separate, proper reissue. Hate buying these sets just to get a quarter of their contents.

Edited by king ubu

Good to see Joe Alexander in that list. Fantasy or Concorde should have reissued that one.

Yes indeed!

But it will, alas, likely stink, soundwise...

I'd love to see a proper reissue of Gryce's "Reminiscin'" - can't someone tell the Japanese to please do that one?

Also would love to see that one Sonny Red album that's not been out (with Lateef, nevertheless!) in a separate, proper reissue. Hate buying these sets just to get a quarter of their contents.

Mr. Pujol has been pulling stunts like that for years! I have to say, though, that as far as piracy goes, he still does it best. The Stitt/Ammons release, btw, also contains one album (Dig Him) not previously issued on cd.

Which Sonny Red are you referring to?

Edited by JETman

Anything that has never had a CD release is bound to be a needle-drop. I guess the question that needs to be asked is "do I ever want to hear this music?", because there's very little chance they'll ever see the light of day through 'official' channels..

I believe Flurin is referring to "Breezing" on Jazzland. Available on a Fresh Sound two cd set "Quartet, Quintet and Sextet" which reissues "Images," "The Mode" and the one co-led with Clifford Jordan, "A Story Tale."

Edited by jazzbo

Anything that has never had a CD release is bound to be a needle-drop. I guess the question that needs to be asked is "do I ever want to hear this music?", because there's very little chance they'll ever see the light of day through 'official' channels..

Seems very much like this is the key question indeed.

At least as long as the "majors" (or "officials" or however you care to call them) are less likely than ever to get their act together and really, really do something conscientious (!!) for the collector.

Being used to what inevitably is common practice in the case of reissues of 78rpm releases, though, this needle drop business doesn't bother me all that much most of the times.

After all, there are needle drops and there are needle drops.

Not to mention the practice (from which "official" reissues do not seem to be immune either) of altering and pushing up the sound level and dynamics of the recordings to suit "modern-day" listening habits (which they say are geared to listening to "louder" music, it seems??). Sometimes some reissuer who clearly can't be bothered with doing any remastering at all might almost be the lesser evil. ;)

OTOH, that FS practice of combining one item that has also been reissued before (by FS, particularly on vinyl) with one that is all new in its reissue form is very galling indeed. A punishment to those who've bought FS in the past. ;) Being a NON-completist (at least in most of THIS field of jazz) helps, though ... ;)

I noticed on Amazon that Concord is planning three more OJC Remasters for May 15: Bill Evans Moonbeams, Monk's Misterioso and Jazz at Massey Hall and a Stax remaster of Albert King's I'll Play The Blues For You. I am not sure why they wouldn't do Joe Alexander's Blue Jubilee or Ahmed Abdul-Malik's Spellbound or the John Wright's that Fantasy didn't get around to doing. It seems if you piggyback an unkown title with an Evans and Monk reissue people would take a chance. I would but maybe I am the exception.

I believe Flurin is referring to "Breezing" on Jazzland. Available on a Fresh Sound two cd set "Quartet, Quintet and Sextet" which reissues "Images," "The Mode" and the one co-led with Clifford Jordan, "A Story Tale."

Yes, this is another one of Pujol's common tricks - including an album ("A Story Tale", in this case) that was never released on cd individually, but on a compilation of sorts. A cd issued under Clifford Jordan's name called "Mosaic" includes "A Story Tale", alas.

(...) pushing up the sound level and dynamics of the recordings (...)

Not sure what you mean by that. The common practice these days seems to be to push up the sound level and reduce the dynamics. In quite a few "modern" recordings and remasterings there are hardly any dynamics left...

Edited by J.A.W.

(...) pushing up the sound level and dynamics of the recordings (...)

Not sure what you mean by that. The common practice these days seems to be to push up the sound level and reduce the dynamics. In quite a few "modern" recordings and remasterings there are hardly any dynamics left...

My mistake, certainly. Poor choice of words. What I meant to say was indeed that the sound level is pushed so everything comes across louder. "Dynamic (sounds)" in the sense of "sounds that blast you away", if you know what I mean ... ;)

I have a Japanese copy of Walter Benton's Out Of This World, so that one has been out on CD before. Benton is a guy you need to hear if you haven't run into him before. His sound is somewhat reminiscent of the so-called "roundness" that characterizes Hank Mobley. Having bought this CD without listening to it, I can recall being very pleased with the session when I first heard it.

So is Fresh Sound/Jordi going to give some of these proceeds to John Wright? I've become quite friendly

with John and he deserves to be compensated for his work.

-t

A very good question and point.

The question of Fresh Sound/Jordi Puyol paying artists or their estates has been discussed here before. I don't think John Wright should get his hopes up...

I have a Japanese copy of Walter Benton's Out Of This World, so that one has been out on CD before. Benton is a guy you need to hear if you haven't run into him before. His sound is somewhat reminiscent of the so-called "roundness" that characterizes Hank Mobley. Having bought this CD without listening to it, I can recall being very pleased with the session when I first heard it.

I'm almost certain that I had (maybe still have) the Milestone CD that combined Out of This World with Priester's Spiritsville. However, this CD omitted Iris from the Benton session! :angry: Really not sure that I want to buy a FS issue for a single track, but couldn't Milestone have done it right the first time?

I'm almost certain that I had (maybe still have) the Milestone CD that combined Out of This World with Priester's Spiritsville. However, this CD omitted Iris from the Benton session! :angry: Really not sure that I want to buy a FS issue for a single track, but couldn't Milestone have done it right the first time?

It wasn't a question of doing it right, there was no room for that track; at the time the capacity of a CD wasn't what it is now.

The Benton album was out domestically on this:

http://allmusic.com/album/out-of-this-world-r523421

The Benton album was out domestically on this:

http://allmusic.com/album/out-of-this-world-r523421

As mentioned by ejp in post #20; see also post #21.

Edited by J.A.W.