New batch of Fresh Sound reissues

mikeweil

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads-up, Mike.

That John Wright doubler looks very tasty!

Ahhhh... needle drops!

drooling_homer.gif

Although the music on this 2xCD set is uniformly excellent I'm afraid that all the tracks on CD 1 from the albums "South Side Soul" & "Nice 'n' Tasty" both show up on my CD analyzer as being from mp3 sources.

So...... "Buyer Beware"!

Thanks for the heads-up, Mike.

That John Wright doubler looks very tasty!

Ahhhh... needle drops!

drooling_homer.gif

Although the music on this 2xCD set is uniformly excellent I'm afraid that all the tracks on CD 1 from the albums "South Side Soul" & "Nice 'n' Tasty" both show up on my CD analyzer as being from mp3 sources.

So...... "Buyer Beware"!

I've seen that with Membran and with Definitive ... rarely ever did bother check.

What does annoy me about Fresh Sound is that they usually cost quite a bit, and then there's Mr. Angel doing his double-talk on top of that.

You should write him and ask him to make a statement on that finding of yours!

I wonder if many Fresh Sound releases are MP3-sourced! (I don't wonder w/Definitive, they sound like crap, crap they are - same with Membran.)

Like you said, King Ubu, these Fresh Sound releases are not cheap and although I am fairly relaxed about paying for decently mastered albums from vinyl sources I do object to paying top-dollar for music from sources we all could find on the internet.

I just wish whoever has the original masters for these lovely recordings would do the job properly!

Edited by Head Man

So is Fresh Sound/Jordi going to give some of these proceeds to John Wright? I've become quite friendly

with John and he deserves to be compensated for his work.

-t

A very good question and point.

Absolutely. He may deserve to be compensated, but is he entitled to it? Either Mr Pujol has licensed this material or he hasn't. If he has, I'm informed by Scott Wentzell, the owners - the shareholders of COncord - are responsible for paying royalties. If he hasn't, and I don't see why he should because all the material is in the public domain, COncord are still responsible for royalties, because they're still the people who inherited John's contract. Of course, they won't pay, and why should they?

MG

Like you said, King Ubu, these Fresh Sound releases are not cheap and although I am fairly relaxed about paying for decently mastered albums from vinyl sources I do object to paying top-dollar for music from sources we all could find on the internet.

...and sources that are inferior, such as MP3. It's a disgrace they're asking that kind of money for stuff like that.

Edited by J.A.W.

FSRCD 682 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

In San Francisco - Recorded Live At The Jazz Workshop (complete Recordings)

Les McCann

Featuring: Les McCann (p), Herbie Lewis (b), Ron Jefferson (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

Plays The Shout - Complete Recordings

Les McCann

Featuring: Les McCann (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Ron Jefferson (d)

REFERENCE: FSRCD 656

Plays The Truth - Complete Sessions

Les McCann

Featuring: Les McCann (p), Leroy Vinnegar, Herbie Lewis (b), Ron Jefferson (d). Guest: Bobby Hutcherson (vb), Curtis Amy (ts)

REFERENCE: FSRCD 646

I must look into these Les McCanns. I've wanted Mosaic to reissue the material for ages. Wonder what 'complete' means?

FSRCD 672_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

The Complete Swingville Sessions (3 Lps On 2 Cds)

Joe Newman

Featuring: Joe Newman (tp), Frank Wess, Frank Foster (saxes), Tommy Flanagan (p), Eddie Jones, Wendell Marshall (b), Oliver Jackson, Bill English (d)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

This looks interesting, too. Wasn't one of the tracks in a BFT a while back?

MG

I just wish whoever has the original masters for these lovely recordings would do the job properly!

Yes, and the uhm, decency of their masterings is really not that great either. The only thing they did improve over the past years is presentation. Their releases actually do look pretty nice nowadays - but then as with other such labels (those that do the flimsy boxes with cardboard sleeves and nice-looking booklets, Quincy in Europe 1960, Stitt/Harris, Garland/Chambers/Taylor, Mingus Birdland, Taylor Hentoff etc) they're a point in case for style over substance all too often.

As a matter of interest I checked some other Fresh Sound releases that I have bought recently.

Gene Quill - The Tiger appears to be a proper CD release

Sonny Red - Quartet, Quintet, Sextet. The second album on CD1, "A Story Tale" seems to have come from mp3 sources. Since I only bought this double CD for the two albums on disc 1, this is particularly galling.

Bill Barron - Quintet & Sextet. One of the albums on this set, "Modern Windows: A Jazz Suite", seems to have come from mp3 sources. Since I already have this album on Savoy this is not a problem for me.

So, from this admittedly small sample, it appears the practice of using mp3 sources for Fresh Sound re-issues is pretty widespread.

As a matter of interest I checked some other Fresh Sound releases that I have bought recently.

Sonny Red - Quartet, Quintet, Sextet. The second album on CD1, "A Story Tale" seems to have come from mp3 sources. Since I only bought this double CD for the two albums on disc 1, this is particularly galling.

Bill Barron - Quintet & Sextet. One of the albums on this set, "Modern Windows: A Jazz Suite", seems to have come from mp3 sources. Since I already have this album on Savoy this is not a problem for me.

So, from this admittedly small sample, it appears the practice of using mp3 sources for Fresh Sound re-issues is pretty widespread.

A Story Tale was reissued in full on Clifford Jordan's Mosaic, which is an official release on Milestone, owned by Fantasy at the time; it also has Jordan's album Starting Time.

Amazon U.K.

Amazon U.S.

Edited by J.A.W.

A Story Tale was reissued in full on Clifford Jordan's Mosaic, which is an official release on Milestone, owned by Fantasy at the time; it also has Jordan's album Starting Time.

Amazon U.K.

Amazon U.S.

Thanks Hans. I have that CD but had forgotten that "A Story Tale" was included on it.

So...I guess I bought the double Fresh Sound CD for just the ONE album. Ah well.......

Well, I've done a bit of research into the Les McCann material. It looks, on the face of it, to be a bit of a potch, but thinking about it, Mr Pujol has done a reasonable job.

The Truth

This includes the whole ofthe LP 'The truth' plus:

both sides of a 45 recorded at the first 'Truth' session but never issued on LP or CD;

3 tracks from the LP 'Bag of gold' (one of the few McCann LPs I don't have) which, according to the sleeve blurb, are supposed to have been recorded live (which doesn't fit in with the studio stuff which the rest of the set contains); and

the two tacks featuring Booby Hutcherson (one with CUrtis Amy) issued on a VA compilation on PJ13 and the CD release of 'Les McCann in New York'

The Shout

This includes the whole of the LP 'The shout' plus:

one more track from PJ13 (trio only); and

3 tracks from 'From the top of the barrel' (which I've always thought were part of his New York sessions at the Village Gate - so does RObert Freed, author of the Les McCann unofficial discography. Oh well, maybe Mr Pujol is correct.)

In San Francisco

This includes the whole of the LP 'In San Francisco' plus

the other 4 tracks from 'From the top of the barrel', which I thought were recorded in the Jazz Workshop and are probably from the same session.

This isn't too bad. There's a CD of early studio cuts (all from 1960, I think) and two live CDs, dealing with Los Angeles (maybe) and San Francisco (almost certainly).

I'll certainly go for 'The truth'. My copy on Vogue was heavily second hand, when I got it in 1966, and I've played it a LOT since then. So it's no better than it should be :)

I'll probably get the others, too.

MG

Amazon U.K.

Amazon U.S.

Thanks Hans. I have that CD but had forgotten that "A Story Tale" was included on it.

So...I guess I bought the double Fresh Sound CD for just the ONE album. Ah well.......

Any idea what the source for Breezin', the first album on CD1 of the Sonny Red set, could have been? Fantasy never reissued that one on CD, nor did Concord.

Edited by J.A.W.

Any idea what the source for Breezin', the first album on CD1 of the Sonny Red set, could have been? Fantasy never reissued that one on CD, nor did Concord.

Presumably a needle-drop but whether it was done by Fresh Sound or "found" elsewhere...who knows. However it sounds pretty good to my, admittedly, "non-hi-fi" ears.

• 6 months later...

The Stitt/Ammons release, btw, also contains one album (Dig Him) not previously issued on cd.

Actually it has been out on this CD:

MI0001520562.jpg

The story behind this is that Ammons recorded a couple of albums for Argo in Chicago 1961, but since he was under contract with Prestige, Argo had to pull the albums from the market, and they were later released on Prestige. The other one was Just Jug, which reappeared on Prestige as Live! In Chicago.

The Stitt/Ammons release, btw, also contains one album (Dig Him) not previously issued on cd.

Actually it has been out on this CD:

MI0001520562.jpg

The story behind this is that Ammons recorded a couple of albums for Argo in Chicago 1961, but since he was under contract with Prestige, Argo had to pull the albums from the market, and they were later released on Prestige. The other one was Just Jug, which reappeared on Prestige as Live! In Chicago.

Yes, I've found this out since I posted that over 8 months ago!