New batch of Fresh Sound reissues

mikeweil

I'm almost certain that I had (maybe still have) the Milestone CD that combined Out of This World with Priester's Spiritsville. However, this CD omitted Iris from the Benton session! :angry: Really not sure that I want to buy a FS issue for a single track, but couldn't Milestone have done it right the first time?

It wasn't a question of doing it right, there was no room for that track; at the time the capacity of a CD wasn't what it is now.

If you do it "right" you either combine albums where you aren't forced to cut off tracks or you put it out as separate CDs.

I fully agree. That is how it should be done.

Also, the length of a CD has not changed; it has always been 80 minutes. The Redbook standard has been in place for 30 years, after all. There have however been some experiments with "overburning" to get some extra seconds in - I think there was a Connoisseur that did that - , but that is a marginal gain, and not all players may be able to play it correctly.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea what the source for Breezin', the first album on CD1 of the Sonny Red set, could have been? Fantasy never reissued that one on CD, nor did Concord.

Presumably a needle-drop but whether it was done by Fresh Sound or "found" elsewhere...who knows. However it sounds pretty good to my, admittedly, "non-hi-fi" ears.

There has been an excellent stereo rip of Breezin' available in the blogosphere, so that could very well be the source.

(you can get up to 82 minutes onto a CD ... but there's a note in the booklet of the Columbia/Legacy CD edition of "The Birth of the Third Stream" - which clocks in I think at 76 or 77 minutes - that they've exhausted the medium's capacity to the last ... not sure about redbook standard and 80 minutes always having been the same thus, sorry)

Also, the length of a CD has not changed; it has always been 80 minutes

Maybe for non-musical purposes. I remember the good people at Mosaic telling me many, many years ago that the maximum duration of music CDs (at the time) was 74 minutes or thereabout.

Edited by J.A.W.

I'm not exactly sure about this but if I recall correctly, the normal max is 74 minutes.

A CD can hold up to 80 minutes of music (maybe stretched to 82 I guess) but after 74 minutes, it's a special order and most manufacturers won't guarantee the work if it is over 74 minutes.

A CD I'm working on now, a live CD, was clocking in at around 78 minutes so these were some of the things I was told as I was contemplating releasing something this long.

In the end, we cut a tune....partially because of these issues and more importantly the flow and pace were better with one less tune.....

In a few instances I have had problems with the sound at the end of CDs over 74 minutes. it does not happen with every CD at that length, but when it does happen it is a definite drag.

Agreed. One CD in my 3-disc Getz West Coast/East of the Sun album won't play as it nears 80 mins. Someone - I think it was Clunky (?) - said his copy had the same problem.

In a few instances I have had problems with the sound at the end of CDs over 74 minutes. it does not happen with every CD at that length, but when it does happen it is a definite drag.

Agreed. One CD in my 3-disc Getz West Coast/East of the Sun album won't play as it nears 80 mins. Someone - I think it was Clunky (?) - said his copy had the same problem.

So did mine.

So did mine.

Correct , disc 3 IIRC was very reluctant to play.

So did mine.

I currently use an old high-end CD transport from the early 1990s and it does play all three discs from that set. The transport from the late 1990s that I used before did have problems playing certain discs.