Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers at the Free Trade Hall 1961

BillF

I only recall one number from the concert - Shorter's "The Chess Players". Will be interesting to see if it's on the album. (This was much the same time as The Big Beat also including that composition was recorded for Blue Note.) Unfortunately, I also recall that the Free Trade Hall's dreadful acoustics didn't accord well with Art's deafening drumming - so what sound quality can we hope for on the disc?

And finally I see that the much vilified (on this board) Real Gone label has a stack of 8-albums-on-four-CDs-minus-the-odd-track sets coming out including Blakey, Roach, Smith (vol 2), Farmer, Drew, Quincy Jones, Lateef, Fuller, Nina Simone, Jamal, JJ Johnson - that's on top of others already out that we *may* not have discussed here (Mulligan, Coltrane, Byrd, Bennie Green, Gillepsie, Mclean, Mann, Chambers, Ellington) plus many others which I think we did discuss. So dust off your rhetoric.

Edited by David Ayers

On a related theme, I see they are bringing out Tough! albeit in an unwelcome coupling.

Tough! I hope the sound is better than the spelling. This release (also called Tought! apparently) features the little-known pianist Sam Dockeryery. I always thought he went on a bit.

And as if there was a bassist called Spanky DeBrest!

And as if there was a bassist called Spanky DeBrest!

There is! He lives at the North Pole with Santa!

In fact, and this is absolutely true, Spanky had a brother called Slappy. I think there was another brother called Skippy. In fact I think there were four or five brothers, all similarly monikered. The DeBrests were a much-liked (and now fondly remembered) Richard Allen Project family.

This release features the little-known pianist Sam Dockeryery.

Spanky was certainly for real, but there was no Sam Dockeryery in the history of the music! :)

There was! Cousin to Hickeryery and Dickeryery.

I'm surprised Jim's not playing their trio album.

da da da dada da da daaa da da da da da da da

doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doo-bie badoobie doo-bie

doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doo-bie badoobie doo-bie

I'd guess by the number of recordings that have surfaced from Free Trade Hall (compared to London venues, for instance) that they must have broadcast jazz concerts on a regular basis.

Shouldn't that be doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie dada badoobie dada?