The ever recurring...

Yes, we all have our signature rants. Any chance and we're off.

I know mine is my lower middle class irritation with upper class arty-fartydom.

So what are the others?

In recent days I notice the return of:

• How did you first get into jazz...
  • Fresh sounds/evil Europeans/Andorrans
  • Isn't it about time jazz reflected popular music again?

Other favourites:

• Keith's grunting
  • Manfred's dastardly plan to destroy our recorded heritage

Though 'X is not really jazz' and '10 favourite crumhorn players' seem to have lost their popularity as topics.

Not complaining. We repeat the same conversations in pubs too.

But can you own up to it?

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Yes, we all have our signature rants. Any chance and we're off.

[*]Fresh sounds/evil Europeans/Andorrans

Not complaining. We repeat the same conversations in pubs too.

But can you own up to it?

I have to say this is the one I find the most tiresome. No one's opinion (or actions) is going to be changed relative to whether they buy PD releases, buy PD releases but only while in the EU or Canada, refuse to buy PD releases but scour the interwebs, etc. Seriously, give it a rest.

I have gotten a bit better about not getting drawn in but every now and again I succumb (usually ranting about free jazz or something).

I can't stand the constant bickering over the relative merits of Alcide Nunez vs. George Bacquet. That's all most folks here want to talk about, and everyone's so entrenched in his or her position that it always ends up getting personal and insulting, and someone threatens to quit the forums.

And jeez, when the Alphonse Picou supporters jump in....

... and everyone's so entrenched in his or her position that it always ends up getting personal and insulting, and someone threatens to quit the forums.

I learned just the other day, that in the on-line world this is called Flouncing. Seen it my share of times, even here. Came real close to flouncing myself, and decided it would be better just to take an unannounced break for a while. 'Course the problem is no one noticed (either the going or the coming). :w

• Why do people keep buying all these reissues instead of investing in the future?
  • Why do people keep buying these empty new things when there is such a treasure chest in the past?
  • I've never bought a crappy mp3 (inevitably followed by 'I gave up buying CDs years ago and only stream from the nearest cloud').
  • It rained today.

• Anyone remember Charles Fox/Peter Clayton etc
  • Happy Birthday
  • Why don't you use the search function to find the earlier thread on...

I, for one, think Fox and Clayton were worth remembering.

And I like having my birthday remembered - so there! :rolleyes:

• Anyone remember Charles Fox/Peter Clayton etc
  • Happy Birthday
  • Why don't you use the search function to find the earlier thread on...

I, for one, think Fox and Clayton were worth remembering.

And I like having my birthday remembered - so there! :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm not complaining! I love the Fox/Clayton reminiscences even though I suspect we've done them 3 or 4 times. Roll on the 5th!

I think it's perfectly natural to repeat conversations endlessly. Even if we won't tolerate that in our musicians!

Thank god I've not yet gotten jaded by flying 18-wheelers.

Dallas-Tornado-Throwing-Semi-Trucks-and-Trailers.jpg

Would make a great cover for one of ECM's more excitable releases.

Such as? :unsure:

You don't often see 'excitable' and ECM in the same sentence...or was that what you meant...doh!

Edited by Head Man

Thank god I've not yet gotten jaded by flying 18-wheelers.

Dallas-Tornado-Throwing-Semi-Trucks-and-Trailers.jpg

Would make a great cover for one of ECM's more excitable releases.

Such as? :unsure:

Arve Henriksen and Christian Wallumrod have a new one coming out called 'Swirlin': A Tribute to the Hard Bop Masters'. That cover would work.

I can't stand the constant bickering over the relative merits of Alcide Nunez vs. George Bacquet. That's all most folks here want to talk about, and everyone's so entrenched in his or her position that it always ends up getting personal and insulting, and someone threatens to quit the forums.

And jeez, when the Alphonse Picou supporters jump in....

:lol:

I'd like to defend repetition, if I may. Every forum needs a steady stream of postings or interest will just dry up. Would we continue to check out Organissimo if nothing was being posted? Not everything people say, in real life or on the 'Net, can be pithy, piquant and original. In the workplace, people talk all the time without saying much of interest. "Hey, how about those Mets?" I think it's been especially challenging here since New Releases have pretty much dried up. So if we talk, then chatter on.