Very rare Lucky Thompson 7' EP on ebay

$(KGrHqV,!h0E8KMe(SSSBPQqGdWmhg~~60_12.JPG

ebay link

7" SINGLE EP - GERMANY - 1959 - Bertelsmann Schallplattenring 66126 ( ARIOLA ) mono

Lucky Thompson soprano sax, Jack Sels tenor sax, Ado Broodboom trumpet, Fats Sadi vibes, Jean Fanis piano, Benoit Quersin bass, Rudi Frankel drums, Gwana M'Blow bongo

I wish I had the money, although this is a crazy amount for a single - but this is very rare ...

I'm not the seller, btw.

Edited by mikeweil

Is that record really THAT rare and is this a common price?

Of course we know prices started skyrocketing ever since the Asians all went haywire about anything reeking of "Eurojazz". But this is a bit hefty anyway.

I bought my copy several years ago (through eBay too, IIRC) but at a fraction of that price and that already struck me as a "collectible" price.

Strange seller indeed, BTW. Those other comments sound alarming indeed ...

BTW, checking out his other current listings, this Lucky Thompson single actually isn't THAT overpriced, really. :crazy: Asking 29.99 or 39.99 for German pop records from the 60s that should not go for much more than, say, 5,00 or maybe 10,00 if they come with their picture sleeve is certainly over the top ... :crazy:

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The single might be rare, but the music isn't, anymore.

True for 100% of all reissued music but just look at what loads of BN fetishists drool about, just because the very item they have got hold of now sometime back in the 50s had already been in the grimy hands of the then owners. :crazy:

Surreal, irrealistic and unreasonable but that's just what the core of any "original item/issue/printing" collectionism is all about so it's just part of the game for those willing to play it ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Thanks to sonnymax for pointing out the download - I prefer a hard copy, but in this case .... while we're at it: I always wondered what else was released on that Manhattan label. Any knowledge on this board?

A lot of what was released on Bertelsmann (e.g. Johannes Rediske, Oscar Pettiford) seems to have had its (more or less simultaneous) "non-record club" release on Manhattan (which was a subsidiary of Ariola).

I myself have

- Sadi's Vibes (Fats Sadi, of course, feast. Jimmy Deuchar) (66133 C)

- Jazzing In Stuttgart (Horst Jankowski Trio) (66026 C)

Manhattan also released sessions by Wild Bill Davison, Fats Sadi, Nelson Williams, Rex Stewart (according to the Lord Discography)!

The Lucky Thompson EP has been available for download for quite some time (and still is, and for free!).

Good date which was my introduction to the fine soloing of Dutch trumpet player Ado Broodboom!

That amazon download sounds a bit strange, as if the transfer to MP3 corrupted the lower end of the dynamic spectrum ... maybe I can find the "other" source, too ...

Musically, it is nice, but not as spectacular as I thought it would be. That band would have needed more playing time to really stretch out. Lucky solos only on the first two tracks.

This listing really takes me back. Way back. Not the music, but the concept of crazy sellers and crazy buyers getting together online and doing crazy transactions. I've had two crazy buyers in the last year and I am looking for any other means of selling from now on. Stoop sale would be better. Ebay -- only when you absolutely, positively have to have it, or get rid of it.