Dick Clark (American Bandstand) Passes

BeBop

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Says CNN, though no details yet. A real icon from my youth.

when i was in 7th or 8th grade, the kids would rush home from school to watch american bandstand to see the stars mouth their hits, see kid fashions, and hear the hottest hits.

he helped make many lasting pop icons.

the most memorable to me were little richard and james brown.

ibread a story where dick may have stolen the gig from someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDrUdKWRm2g

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Not surprising considering the obvious deterioration in his health over the last few years. Dick Clark, America's oldest teenager. Back in the day, if you were going to go anywhere in the music business, there were two TV shows you had to be on; Ed Sullivan and American Bandstand. Personally, I was more a fan of two other Clark shows, the Saturday night Dick Clark Show (remember the IFIC buttons? "Beechnut Gum, it's flavor-IFIC") and his weekday afternoon show, Where The Action Is. As had been pointed out by others, that was the springboard to fame for our own local Portland, Oregon band, Paul Revere & The Raiders. Not sure if there was anyone who was more influential in the sale of rock to the masses that was Dick Clark.

Edited by Dave James

Anybody from my generation grew up with Dick Clark on TV. In the late 50's my friends and I watched American Bandstand religiously after school. His later forays into mainstream TV, from the game shows, New Years' Eve celebrations, and his hosting and producing TV specials such as TV Bloopers, may have turned off younger viewers, but to me he was the guy who introduced me to the greatest of rock & roll, giving us our first glimpses of Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, and countless other legends.

RIP, old friend

Sorry for the apparent rudeness, but I deleted the semi-duplicate thread on this topic because (damn it!) I've been unable to merge threads for some months now -- used to be able to, but no more. In any case, will people please look to see that there's not already a thread on a topic before starting a new thread yourself.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He was in many ways an opportunistic fraud. Daddy was on the Board at WFIL when the show's host was accused of groping one of the teenagers (never proven) and Clark took over a show. It is sickening to hear these news media people fawn.

I'd multiply aloc's eye-roll by a thousand but the software won't let me.

Nice to see you're consistent in your bitter angry bile, Chris. Whatever the circumstances of his initial takeover of what became American Bandstand, no one can possibly deny that Clark was an extremely smart and successful businessman on top of his exceptional broadcast skills.

Must be killing you Chris that no one thought to interview you as a counterpoint to all the "fawning".

(Now watch as Chris comes back with some reference to Saddam's WMD. Its as predictable as the bile that erupts when someone he doesn't care for is lionized in death.)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He was in many ways an opportunistic fraud. Daddy was on the Board at WFIL when the show's host was accused of groping one of the teenagers (never proven) and Clark took over a show. It is sickening to hear these news media people fawn.

I'd multiply aloc's eye-roll by a thousand but the software won't let me.

Nice to see you're consistent in your bitter angry bile, Chris. Whatever the circumstances of his initial takeover of what became American Bandstand, no one can possibly deny that Clark was an extremely smart and successful businessman on top of his exceptional broadcast skills.

Must be killing you Chris that no one thought to interview you as a counterpoint to all the "fawning".

(Now watch as Chris comes back with some reference to Saddam's WMD. Its as predictable as the bile that erupts when someone he doesn't care for is lionized in death.)

Gould needs to start taking his anti-G capsules. At least, I think gullibility is curable—maybe not! :rolleyes:

Sign of my culture's assimilation into American homogenization when swamp pop singers like Rod Bernard and Dale and Grace appeared on Bandstand. Local TV with French bands like Aldus Roger and the Lafayette Playboys and even Happy Fats was more my kind of thing. But I also enjoyed the same kid stuff being heard around the nation.

Edited by Neal Pomea