Dick Clark (American Bandstand) Passes

BeBop

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember having the flu being home sick from school for a few days in late 1957. Saw Chuck and Jerry Lee on American Bandstand. That changed my life. Dick Clark and American Bandstand also introduced me to a bunch of junk music along with the good. It was my job to sort all of that out and eventually I did.

Clearly someone operating outside of his comfort zone. Asking some of the same questions he might have asked Elvis a decade earlier. This was right around the time Clark began to lose relevance in terms of where the music was going. I wonder to what extent, if any, he was aware of that.

Jim, I think we all know how to Google YouTube and search Dick Clark.

That said, Some of Clark's darker side is beginning t emerge. Saw one of those silly entertainment programs reveal bits and pieces of truth, but the video clips were followed by a hare-brained hostess trying to balance it with the usual hype.

At any rate now Dick Clark can meet up with Alan Freed again up there at that DJ's Turntable in The Sky and they can both discuss it out as to who was shrewd enough to make token admittances and therefore back out of tha Payola business in time and save his butt before everybody started to dig deep enough to hit pay... no, not dirt but ...smut. :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

He was in many ways an opportunistic fraud.

I think you have a little black book full of them.

As a disc jockey in Philly from 1958-60, I saw the bastard up close and knew some who had been in his way when he clawed to the top.

I'm sorry that I intruded on yet another of JSngry's YouTube franchises. :o

[/media]

The first heavy metal band! I saw this when it was first broadcast, and it made a huge impression on me - I had to find the single.

Same here...with a Mose Allison cover on the flipside!

Mighta made Mose some money, if the accounting was true.