Bear Family sets

Jazz Pimp

This thread has some very useful things on it:

Jazz Pimp

Member # 2139

posted November 26, 2002 01:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have picked up the Willie Nelson set.

ROUND TWO

Does anyone have any feedback on these sets:

BELAFONTE, HARRY: ISLAND IN THE SUN

Any of the Sun singles box sets

Conway Twitty Rock 'n' Roll Years

Ricky Nelson "American Dream"

Waylon Jennings JOURNEY/DESTINY'S CHILD & JOURNEY/SIX STRINGS AWAY

BILL MONROE: BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY 1936-49

Bob Willis -San Ant.Rose

Original Carter Family In The Shadow of

Ray Price set

Also, if there are sets people are into that I haven't listed please bring them to my attention.

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Jazz Pimp ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 304 | From: Pimpsville | Registered: Sep 2001 | IP: Logged

Lonson

Member # 3668

posted November 26, 2002 01:18 PM

A huge thumbs up for the Ella Mae Morse and Nellie Lutcher sets!

Posts: 1462 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged

mikeweil

Member # 1606

posted November 26, 2002 03:23 PM

Bear Family has a reputation here in Germany similar to Mosaic's in the U.S. - good remastering, exhaustive tape research, elaborate discographies ... definitive editions in every respect, at least as far as the sets I own are concerned:

Louis Jordan, Complete Decca recordings

Olantunji, complete Columbia recordings

Tito Puente and Perez Prado, two two-Lps-on-one-CD each.

They have an

English ection on their web page.

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: mikeweil ]

Posts: 602 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2001 | IP: Logged

still life

Member # 3435

posted November 26, 2002 04:48 PM

Also, the two boxed sets of Johnnie Ray's music are on Bear.

The first, "Cry" is fabulous. It contains, on it's five CD's, every major hit and some less-known tracks, which are actually my favourites. His version of the old blues classic, "Lotus Blossom", is, to me, rivetting.

The second box, "Yes, Tonight Josephine", is less fabulous, in fact, disappointing.

I think that unless you are hell-bent on acquiring the duets with Timi Yuro, don't bother with the second volume. It's possible to get "Til Morning/A Sinner Am I" and "On The Trail", which was a collection of western trail songs, on separate and much less costly CD's.

The second box is rife with filler material and, for over $100 is too expensive for what it contains, IMO.

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: still life ]

Posts: 127 | From: calgary, Ab. Canada | Registered: Aug 2002 | IP: Logged

danasgoodstuff

Member # 1737

posted November 26, 2002 05:36 PM

Not yet mentioned, but among the choicest items on Bear Family (IMHO) are the complete Lefty Frizel and Jimmie Rodgers sets. Ok, the Lefty gets a little spotty towards the end, but it's the only way to get a lot of his stuff without lots of duplication. and Jimmie Rodgers is simply one of the cornerstones of American music (again, IMHO).

Posts: 154 | From: Portland, OR USA | Registered: May 2001 | IP: Logged

bluenotelover

Member # 235

posted December 01, 2002 08:50 PM

I love the Hank Thompson (12) complete Capitol Bear set. (but, I love Hank Thompson)

You can get the early Merle Haggard on Bear. But Capitol has also re-issued the individual albums on CD.

Posts: 680 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA or Santa Monica, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 99 | IP: Logged

Out2Lunch

Member # 1071

posted December 01, 2002 09:23 PM

The three Rosemary Clooney sets put out by Bear Family are also outstanding!

--------------------

-Tod

Jazz Pimp

Member # 2139

posted December 03, 2002 08:27 AM

One of my favorite Bear Family sets not mentioned here is the Charlie Rich Sun set. Rich has made many, many really bad records in his time, but this set shows there was allot of talent behind it all. The first disc is all of the original issued recordings. Second disc is all of the tracks on disc one without overdubs. Third disc is unused takes or unreleased demos.

mesfen

Member # 1165

posted December 07, 2002 12:41 AM

Jazz Pimp,the West/Bryant set "Flaming Guitars" is simply incredible; Speedy West is the Hendrix of the steel pedal. The Carter Family set is a must.For the age of these recordings, Bear Family has done an immaculate job. The Bob Wills' set San Antonio Rose gives you the complete big band recordings plus you get a DVD of one his grade Z westerns. The Stanley Brothers sets (who are nearly completely ignored in the States)are essential. The sets represent the era when they first recorded their most important work. Not on your list, you should investigate the Jim and Jesse set. I rank this set right up with the Monroe and Flatt/Scruggs' sets. Saving up my Christmas money for the newest Monroe set. Can't get enough of that man. BTW where do you purchase your Bear Family sets? The cheapest place that I have found is deepdiscountcd.com (current online 10% off code 1001 or 0100 (working from memory)); they have free standard shipping. Another place is cdwolf.com; he always has EBay auctions, but you can purchase directly without EBay.

Posts: 62 | From: Lawrence,KS USA | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

PJ

Member # 3711

posted December 07, 2002 06:34 AM

Deeppdiscount sell the new Bear Family Monroe for $102.16. Neither of the codes (1001, 0100) work.

--------------------

PJ

mesfen

Member # 1165

posted December 09, 2002 08:44 AM

Try 010101 as the 10% off deepdiscountcd coupon; it worked 2 weeks ago.

mesfen

Member # 1165

posted December 11, 2002 03:21 PM

Try 01010; It worked today.

Peter Z

Member # 2759

posted December 11, 2002 03:40 PM

Yep, that code just saved me some $$$ on the West/Byrant which, by the way, I'm purchasing solely on your recommendation! Also have you listened to Sneeky Pete Kleinlow (spelling?) on early New Riders of the Purple sage. Love his solo in Dirty Business. Your description of the Hendrix on pedal steel applies

--------------------

Peter Z

mesfen

Member # 1165

posted December 12, 2002 06:59 AM

Love Sneaky Pete's stuff with the Byrds and , of course, the Flying Burrito Brothers. He did have a very good solo album called "Sneaky Pete", but haven't seen it out. Hey if you are into incredible steel playing and if you are into a Bear Family binge , check out the Ray Price set; Jimmy Day's playing is NICE!!

Peter Z

Member # 2759

posted December 12, 2002 02:47 PM

Hey my memory is bad. It wasn't Sneeky Pete on early NRPS. Rather Jerry Garcia and then Buddy Cage.

--------------------

Peter Z

mikeb

Member # 435

posted December 13, 2002 01:50 PM

How reliable is Deep Discount CD? Their prices certainly are low ... any one have any problems ordering from them? I might have found the place for my Xmas gift to myself this year ...

Posts: 561 | From: nashville, tn | Registered: Oct 1999 | IP: Logged

ralphie_boy

Member # 1410

posted December 13, 2002 04:49 PM

quote:

Originally posted by mikeb:

How reliable is Deep Discount CD? Their prices certainly are low ... any one have any problems ordering from them? I might have found the place for my Xmas gift to myself this year ...

Very reliable. Xcellent customer service too.

Posts: 731 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2001 | IP: Logged

Jazz Pimp

Member # 2139

posted March 01, 2003 11:43 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Jazz Pimp:

Does anyone have any feedback on these sets:

BLACKWOOD BROTHERS: ROCK A MY SOUL

Conway Twitty Rock 'n' Roll Years

BILL MONROE: BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY 1936-49

JIMMIE RODGERS -SingingBrakemn

Bob Willis -San Ant.Rose

Original Carter Family In The Shadow of

Ray Price set

OSBORNE BROTHERS 56-68

Flatt/Scruggs sets

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Jazz Pimp ]

______

All 4 Johnny Cash set's, the Roy Orbison, and the Speedy West & Ray Bryant are on the way from Deep Discout!

Out of all the Bear Family box set's the one that has been in the CD player since the end of December is the Willie Nelson. I love his singing and songwriting.

Does anyone know how the flow is on the BILL MONROE, JIMMIE RODGERS, and Original Carter Family sets? Are there a lot of alternate takes toether or are they on a seperate disc?

Does anyone own the Ray Price set?

J.A.W.

Member # 1817

posted March 01, 2003 12:21 PM

Jimmie Rodgers: several alternates in chronological order

Carter Family: several alternates on the last disc

Bob Wills: several alternates, some in chronological order and some on the last disc

Ray Price: no or very few alternates (don't exactly remember, haven't played the set for a while)

All these sets are essential in my opinion.

--------------------

Hans

Posts: 3057 | From: Groningen, Netherlands, EU | Registered: May 2001 | IP: Logged

bluenotelover

Member # 235

posted March 01, 2003 12:46 PM

Wow,

how many BEAR sets does everyone have?

I have about 50. (some just cdrs)

Posts: 680 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA or Santa Monica, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 99 | IP: Logged

Jazz Pimp

Member # 2139

posted March 01, 2003 12:56 PM

Thanks Hans!

J.A.W.

Member # 1817

posted March 01, 2003 12:58 PM

quote:

Originally posted by bluenotelover:

Wow,

Far too many Seriously, some of these sets are more than I can handle...

--------------------

Hans

Posts: 3057 | From: Groningen, Netherlands, EU | Registered: May 2001 | IP: Logged

J.A.W.

Member # 1817

posted March 01, 2003 12:59 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Jazz Pimp:

Thanks Hans!

You're welcome!

--------------------

Hans

J.A.W.

Member # 1817

posted March 01, 2003 01:01 PM

By the way, don't forget the Carl Smith and both Waylon Jennings sets. They're great.

--------------------

Hans

Jazz Pimp

Member # 2139

posted March 01, 2003 01:34 PM

quote:

Originally posted by bluenotelover:

Wow,

I have about 50. (some just cdrs)

I have 12 box sets and 9 of the single or double disc releases sets, not including the booty coming in the mail.

Jazz Pimp

Member # 2139

posted March 01, 2003 01:39 PM

quote:

Originally posted by J.A.W.:

By the way, don't forget the Carl Smith and both Waylon Jennings sets. They're great.

Can you tell me a little more about both of these?

I am not familier with Carl Smith. I have Waylon Jennings' 70's RCA 'Outlaw' CD's, but have been nervous about the Bear Family set's because I heard that he started out sounding like the Kingston Trio.

J.A.W.

Member # 1817

posted March 01, 2003 02:02 PM

If you're into Western Swing and Honky Tonk, you'll like Carl Smith - AMG, click here.

As for Waylon, much of his early material is folk-related, though I wouldn't go as far as calling it Kingston Trio music. I love some of his earlier albums, such as Leavin' Town and Hangin' On, and most of his late 1960s / early-to-mid 1970s albums, from Just to Satisfy You to Dreaming My Dreams. They contain great country music and, of course, much of his "Outlaw" material. The second Bear Family set might be the one for you. Waylon Jennings - AMG, click here.

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: J.A.W. ]

--------------------

Hans

Jazz Pimp

Member # 2139

posted March 08, 2003 01:50 PM

I don't know if you will see this Hans, but it's worth a try.

Could you tell me if the Bob Wills Bear set has all of his transcription recordings? Rhino has a 10 CD's out of this stuff.

The cheapest place I have found on line is http://www.deepdiscountcd.com . My discount is cost on the CD's from the record store I work at and Deep Discount was cheaper then that!

_________

Hans, emailed me about my question listed above.

_________

Hi Mike,

The Bear Family set only has the recordings Wills made for Vocalion / OKeh and Columbia between September 23, 1935, and October 16, 1947, plus a few 1943-1945

airchecks.

If you want the Tiffany Transcriptions, you will have to pick up the Rhino CDs.

Howdy Y'all,

I'm almost as hooked on Bear Family as I am on Mosaic. I'm a big fan of Capital Records 50's country albums. I've been trying to pick up the Bear Family releases that cover this interest. So far, my favorite is the Speedy West/Jimmy Bryant "Flaming Guitars" set. I'm sure you guys have heard just about everything, but if you haven't heard Jimmy Bryant, you're missing out.

Dumb question alert:

Is there any source for reasonably priced Bear Family sets? I find these things to be a bit pricey. Thanks.

Jan,

JazzPimp posted above about http://www.deepdiscountcd.com. I checked it out and their prices looked good. It looks like it's about $15 per cd. I'm not sure about the shipping and I haven't purchased from them. I've had some good luck with half.com - but the prices I've gotten at half.com seem to be about the same as deepdiscountcd.com.

If you find any other good deals, I'd love to hear about them.

I was used to $20 + for a long time with Bear Family releases. The first Bear Family cd I purchased was Merle Travis' "Folk Songs of the Hills." I was blown away by the quality of the packaging and discography. They're a great label. I'd still be happy to pay $20 + for their cds (though I'm glad I don't have to).

:D

Thanks Ghost of Miles!

I was going to place an order with deepdiscountcd. Now I can do it and relax about it.

I hope you like the Charles Tyler. I picked that one up when ZYX reissued the ESP catalog back in the early 90's. I haven't heard it in a long time, but I remember liking it a lot.

David Baker's presence on cello was one reason that I picked it up--it was recorded in Indianapolis and I hope to use it in a series on Indiana jazz.

We need to line Mr. Nessa's pockets with loot so that he can re-issue SAGA OF THE OUTLAWS.

I don't know much about David Baker other than this album. I'd like to hear more, though.

Here are a few of my favorite Bear Family boxes that I don't think have been mentioned:

Darby & Tarlton: Complete Recordings - Beautiful guitar & acoustic steel guitar duets (with vocals) from the late 20's to the early 30's.

Webb the Wondering "Boy" Pierce 1951-1958 - Webb Pierce, with his Nudie suits, silver-dollar studded automobiles, and guitar-shaped swimming pool, can be seen as a classic example of Nashville country "flash", but he was a great honky tonk singer, and most of his best stuff can be found here.

Classic Everly Brothers - Probably everyone over a certain age has some of their recordings, but if you want all of their classic early stuff, including their first four sides recorded for Columbia, and alternate takes of their Cadence material, you'll find it all here in fine sound.

I would like to mention that the Bear Family boxes I own spend much more time adorning my shelves than they do on my turntable or CD player. Probably that's my fault rather than any fault of the boxes, but it is a fact.

• 2 years later...

I've ordered several Bear Family sets from www.cdwolf.com. His prices are low and he's prompt & reliable. For example the following 9 disc box is $132. A hair under $15/disc.

LOUIS JORDAN

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL(1938-1954)

9-CD Boxset&Book

BCD 15557-IH

Edited by Peter

Have only a single Bear so far! Won't be the last one!

It's 'Blowing the Fuse - 27 r&b Classics That Rocked the Jukebox in 1949'.

Was testing the waters with that CD and love it!

Lovingly produced compilation of classics by Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Sticks McGee, Ruth Brown, Wynonie Harris, Dinah Washington, etc...

Have only a single Bear so far! Won't be the last one!

It's 'Blowing the Fuse - 27 r&b Classics That Rocked the Jukebox in 1949'.

Was testing the waters with that CD and love it!

Lovingly produced compilation of classics by Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Sticks McGee, Ruth Brown, Wynonie Harris, Dinah Washington, etc...

That's a wonderful series, but unfortunately the mastering is way too loud. I have 11 volumes, 1945-1955, but hardly play them because of the loudness...

• 3 weeks later...

bcd15561.jpg

Louvin Brothers - Close Harmony. 8 cds of pure heaven. Ira Louvin was blessed w/ one of the purest tenor voices in country music(His brother Charlie had a fantastic voice too). Unfortunately, Ira was seriously self destructive(and a racist) and the duo broke up in the early 60's. I got to see Charlie a few years ago. He still sounded great. They were a huge influence on Gram Parsons(He covered Ira's "Cash on the Barrelhead"). The booklet is marvelous - beautiful color photos, full discography/sessionography, and a great essay by Louvin scholar Charles Wolfe. :tup:tup:tup

Edited by Chalupa