Grant Green: Final Comedown

connoisseur series500

this disc sucks (can i be more blunt?!). anyway, i'm a huge grant fan of pretty much any period...early, middle, late...but there's little redeeming about this one. to begin with, grant's hardly on it, arrangements and ensembles weigh this thing down so much....

i say this all from memory, i could pull it out and listen, but i don't want to waste my time on it. avoid picking it up. unless it's the last gap in your grant green collection, everything else he ever did is better.

Would love to hear some other opinions about this disc, especially as to how it might compair with Herbie's "Death Wish" soundtrack, which I sorta like, :huh: kinda sorta. :blink:

By the way, some online searching for more info about "The Final Comedown" indicates that the movie has/had an alternate title, "Blast". Not sure why, if one of the titles was for the video release?? Or if it was released overseas, and got a new title that way?? No idea. Maybe it's in the liner-notes for the new CD release. In any case, here's a poster from the "Blast" release...

Y04Y3049597Y2583650.0001.04.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I just picked this one up today and have only given it one listen. I think my opinion on the disc is somewhat tempered by my expectations.

First of all, I'm a fan of Green's late 60s and 70s BN period. So I knew what to expect there. Secondly, I went in to this knowing I'd be listening to a movie soundtrack on which Grant Green is featured, not a Grant Green record per se.

As a movie soundtrack, you invariably get some mood music, some action music, some theme music.

Given that set of expectations, I'd say the record is actually pretty good - for 1971 sounding movie soundtrack. Green is featured on a number of typical soulful/funky tracks but blends into the background on an equal number of ensemble and mood pieces. Some of those ensemble pieces are pretty funky, however.

If you're looking for a Grant Green record, don't buy it.

If you like late 60s/early 70s funky sounding movie sountracks, this one's not bad. (Not that I'm an expert) The fact that it's a late 60s/early 70s soundtrack featuring Grant Green makes it worthwhile having, in my opinion.

I admit that I tend to be more generous in my rating of something like this. There's only a small, finite set of unreleased Grant Green material out there. This has finally become available, so I'm glad to have it.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, Ed.

Based on your comments and those of others, I'm not going to pick up the cd. I want Grant Green recordings, not stuff which feature Green, unless it is headed by Big John P. or Horace Parlan and so on.

Grant Green was awesome in my opinion, and he's good even when he's not at his best.

I want Grant Green recordings, not stuff which feature Green, unless it is headed by Big John P. or Horace Parlan and so on.  .

I can tell you that when you hear Green featured in the context you've mentioned you're getting way more Green than you'd be getting on this disc.

Based on your preferences, it seems like you've mad a good decision

This Green is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Edited by Ed Swinnich