Record Store Day Tomorrow

Eric

I moved up my haircut appointment to give me time to go to the two remaining record stores (that I know of) in Broward county. It will be my first "Record Store Day" and in all honesty, I don't intend to spend anything, it just gives me a reason to go to a couple of stores I haven't shopped at in six months in one case and well over a year in the other.

If I don't buy anything, I'll be heading to Amazon for a long-delayed order as soon as I get home - and as I look at Radio-Active Records website, I have a feeling their "entertainment" will drive me out of the store faster than planned.

I celebrated a week early. Went up to NYC, hit the museums and several galleries to get my art fix. Went to the Jazz Record Center for the first time, and found a bunch of nice items, at a low price. Ahmed Abdullah Silkhearts, a Lennie Niehaus OJC, Charles Tyler in Europe, and other misc. jazz. Phil Schaap walks in just as I am paying. Sunday I found the new location for the Downtown Music Gallery -- in the most obscure corner of Chinatown -- and spent a nice hour going through the well kept and large (at least when compared to the original space) basement shop. Got the new ESP releases of Frank Lowe and Frank Wright, a couple of Ethnic Heritage Ensemble Silkhearts on sale, a recent Sabir Mateen disc, a couple of really limited pressings of Faruq Bey and the Northwoods Improvisers, some obscure Ted Daniel reissues from the 70's that I never knew about, and many others.

Edited by Stefan Wood

I went last year, but just to see a local band that was playing in store. Kind of much ado about nothing. This year, one of the interesting limited editions (4,200 copies world wide) on offer is a 180 gram LP featuring the longest version of Dark Star ever performed by the Grateful Dead. It clocks in at over 40 minutes. I would definitely like to get ahold of that one.

Edited by Dave James

Is Record Store Day only about vinyl?

I've never thought of it that way. Neither have I thought of it as a chance to get a rare or limited edition title. I've used it as an opportunity to visit a local record store, spend some money to show my support (c'mon, Dan!), and wax nostalgic about "the good ol' days".

People were lining up at 1am at one store here in town. They opened their doors at 9am. :rfr

I have to say that the forced limited edition thing is a bit lame. The day is great for record stores, really helping things along to fill the registers. Which I am all for.

But from a guy-buying-records-to-hear-them perspective, I just can't hang with waiting in line for 8 hours to HAVE A CHANCE at getting what I am looking for.

I've never previously considered attending, figuring (perhaps incorrectly) that it was largely about vinyl and/or collectables--two categories that I'm not too interested in. I checked the website and saw that two nearby shops were participating, and that one of them featured an in-store performance by the one and only Colin Hay, former frontman of Men at Work. After thinking about it for a bit, I decided it was raining and a tad bit cold out for April in DC, so I stayed home and worked on a tall stack of unopened previous purchases (including a few items from said independent shops).

My local record store was pretty cool IMO. In store performance by a musician, a decent selection of RSD vinyls (no jazz and most of which I'd never heard of) . I did pick up one 7inch by Cookie Duster which is pretty good pop/rock. More significantly I met a couple of very small local record producers for Scotland's Indie scene Song by Toad and Gerry Loves Records. I took a chance on what they were offering and have heard some very good indie rock by groups totally unknown to me - Paws, Lady North, Meursault and Yusuf Azak.( pictured below - my photo)

7106550317_d7a22b4549_z.jpg

I bought a few things last year, but nothing much appealed to me this year. Never saw the Brubeck 10", which was one of the few things I was considering. Did stop in to Rockaway on Saturday, but just picked up a few half-priced CDs and dollar LPs. Owner Dave mentioned that the first 15 minutes was the busiest retail he'd ever seen in the store. I saw photos of the line outside Amoeba in Hollywood and that was enough to keep me away until Sunday morning, when it was back to normal.

I went all blues, as I kind of expected to:

Nashville Jumps: R&B from BULLET 1946-1953 (Krazy Kat Records) Had to go for it to hear B.B. King's earliest sides.

Fenton Robinson, Blues in Progress (Black Magic)

San Francisco Blues Festival Volume 3 (Solid Smoke) Featuring Big Mama Thornton and Sugar Pie DeSanto

Anthology of the Blues: Memphis Blues (Kent) A comp, mostly of the Wolf. The price was definitely right.

In fact the price was pretty good overall: $25 spent for four LPs.

And as it turned out, I was smart not to bother with Radioactive Records - I didn't even know they had moved and wouldn't have found them at their old location anyway. All but the Fenton Robinson was found at the warehouse of a guy who mostly just sells at record shows. No crowds to contend with there.

Edited by Dan Gould