Rare straight ahead jazz guitar recordings

colllin

I almost mentioned Minasi, but maybe he's a bit to the left of straight ahead. I saw him once live and found him to have lots of Ornette in his conception. I'm not that familiar with Joe Diorio but I like him on Eddie Harris's Come On Down.

One person's straight ahead is another person's far out, so you just have to go with what's good for you.

Dom Minasi's Quick Response is an organ quartet recording with Mark Whitecage on alto.

I don't know if it's straight ahead - it is to me - but it's very good music.

cd_quick.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember it as "backsick". :unsure:

Baa-cheek is the correct Hungarian pronunciation (accent on the first syllable as always in Hungarian)

A couple more guitar heroes who recorded only one (or two) albums under their names...

8ea719a80375.jpg

post-21-1256809273.jpg

Don't forget the wonderful stuff DeArango did in the 40s with Dizzy, Ben Webster, Red Norvo and his one own 78 date (also with Ben). Would make a marvellous single disc. There was also a single late album (90s?) that Gunther Schuller had something to do with which I don't know.

Yes, on these shores, "Dick" is a commonly used nickname for "Richard". Think "Tricky Dicky Nixon"!

Well, I do know THAT... but such things might be used to keep various guitar playing Richards apart, and I'd never heard of Dick being referred to as Richie or whatever.

Second mention of Bacsik!

Yes, on these shores, "Dick" is a commonly used nickname for "Richard". Think "Tricky Dicky Nixon"!

Well, I do know THAT... but such things might be used to keep various guitar playing Richards apart, and I'd never heard of Dick being referred to as Richie or whatever.

Second mention of Bacsik!

Speaking of Bacsik, his Tribute to Bird and Diz (or whatever it's called) has a couple of killer Warne Marsh solos. My memory is that Bacsik plays violin on this album, but I haven't heard it in a while. The Warne solos are what have stuck in my mind!

Ulf Wakenius has not yet been mentioned here, and for more adventurous tastes, Nguyen Le, I've heard the "Sayuri" album and like it a lot..... Oops just reread the thread title. He isn't straight ahead, sorry!!!!!

Nguyen Le has quite a lot of albums out under his name!

Remember this thread is about 'players who only lead one or two sessions'.