BFT 98 discussion

thedwork

Well, I can't come up with anything for the trumpeter on #8, so I'm going to make my obligatory guess on #9 and say that it reminds me some of Bernardo Sassetti.

wow! track #9 is not Sassetti but thanks for guessing him. i'd never heard of him before so i went to amazon to listen to some stuff. i can see why you'd guess him for this BFT track. but more importantly, you've given me someone new to look out for and possibly purchase. fantastic stuff. i listened to some soundtrack stuff (Alice in particular, the first few tracks/cues reminding me of Newman's now somewhat omnipresent American Beauty score...), and some trio and solo playing. fantastic!

Well, I can't come up with anything for the trumpeter on #8, so I'm going to make my obligatory guess on #9 and say that it reminds me some of Bernardo Sassetti.

wow! track #9 is not Sassetti but thanks for guessing him. i'd never heard of him before so i went to amazon to listen to some stuff. i can see why you'd guess him for this BFT track. but more importantly, you've given me someone new to look out for and possibly purchase. fantastic stuff. i listened to some soundtrack stuff (Alice in particular, the first few tracks/cues reminding me of Newman's now somewhat omnipresent American Beauty score...), and some trio and solo playing. fantastic!

Well, that works out nicely because you've given me several things to check out,when I find out who they are that is. I know Sassetti from the solo album "Indigo" which is a beautifully played, beautifully recorded double CD and from a Wil Holshouser album. Both on Clean Feed. Sadly, I think the young man died earlier this month at the age of 41.

I don't get any comments to my guesses/ramblings? :(

of course you do :)

Yay!!!!

Track 2: No clue, but it’s a piano trio. A very NICE piano trio! One that I might just seek out once this is all done! Won’t go so far as to say it’s the real thing, but all players are of one mindset of paying a well-executed tribute to the Tyner-Garrison-Jones rhythm section; they play as one, which is refreshing!

i agree. these three definitely play as a group on this track, and the rest of the record. this is probably the best cut on the cd but the rest is almost as good. for me, it's a keeper. lots of folks here mentioning Tyner on this one, and w/ good reason. though it is, of course, not him.

Now I really can't wait to find out who this is!

Track 3: AAARARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!! I’ve heard this before! I know I have! And I’m gonna freakin’ kick myself to the moon for not remembering who this is! Egad, I hope it occurs to me before this is all over with! OH! OH! OH!!!!! I know who it is! It’s that Joshua Redman record with Billy Higgins on drums, lemme see here….NO!!! SCRATCH THAT!!! It’s Joe Henderson from that Miles Davis record he did for Verve! THAT’S why it sounds familiar: because I stupidly traded it away years ago! {{{MEGA-SIGH}}} I never learn!!!

Yea! this comment is a beautiful thing and put a big smile across my face. all the guys you mention here - Higgins, J. Redman, and Henderson - are big influences here. especially on the tenor player and the drummer. and those two players are the reason i wanted to include this track in the BFT.

Eager to please, that's me! And it's kinda reassuring to know I'm wrong because this means I didn't trade away something I mighta shoulda held onto! :lol:

Track 4: No idea, but I am loving the fact that it’s a guitar in place of a piano for the chordal instrument. Some of my favorite jazz is like that. Clarinet, eh? Kenny Davern?

yeah, this guitarist is a terrific accompanist w/ a great harmonic sense and feel. and this tune is his own. excellent soloist as well. and i had to check my liner notes to make sure, but it lists soprano, not clarinet. though it certainly sounds like it could be. i'm pretty sure this guy played essentially all reeds so maybe it was just left off the notes? not Davern.

What I just said about track 2 applies here now, too!!!

Track 8: The brevity suggests a solo snippet or an interlude from one of Miles Davis’ Gil Evans records. Maybe one of the outtakes from the Miles/Gil box? But it sure makes a nice prelude to the next track, so good programming choice there, Dwork!

thanks man. i tried to create a "flow." your comment is similar to another poster so i'm gonna copy and paste my response: "yeah - the connection between Miles and the harmon-on-trumpet sound is tough to dissociate. but after you listen to this player for a while you start to recognize him fairly quickly. i know i do now. and yeah, it feels like "a prelude or coda to something," but it's its own track on the cd. this artist may have envisioned the whole cd as one long piece which would semi-explain the truncated feeling of this piece..."

Flow definitely established, appreciated, and enjoyed! I really dig it when a BFT is put together much like an artistic statement on the part of the compiler!

Track 9: Couldn’t tell you who this is, but I can tell you the feeling that it evokes, which is one of wistful longing, and I usually only get that from certain George Winston albums. I’m not sure if this is him because I’m not THAT much of a GW collector. My only other guess would be Bill Evans, who also has that kind of power over me. It’s lovely, regardless, one that I’ll likely pursue after this is all over with!

real glad you enjoy this one Big Al. it is a beautiful thing. and i could see the Winston thing, but for me this is much more, and i dread using this word but it seems to fit here, sophisticated. there's more going on here harmonically, rhythmically, and conceptually than on Winston's stuff i'd say. for me this guy is "groovin' on a whole other plane" as Winwood would say. and i'd say you should definitely "pursue after this is all over with" as you mention 'cuz the rest of this cd is nothing but more of the same in terms of beauty. and the rest of the record is a bit more dense, but all still very beautiful.

What I said about tracks 2 and 4 apply HERE, too! This BFT is gonna break the bank! LOL

Track 11: Did Nicholas Payton, Russell Malone, & Christian McBride ever make another record besides the Herbie Hancock record? Ah well, guess it’s a moot point now that there’s a tenor sax goin’ at it. Well, who says it can’t be the same trio with an added horn? I can only dream!

"...To sleep, perchance to Dream; Ay, there's the rub."

I sense you're trying to tell me something... ;)

Track 12: Well, we finally hit our first dud of the bunch for me. The alto sax is too wobbly for my tastes. (I know, I know, this coming from a guy who loves Dudu Phukwana’s squawking on Hugh Masekela’s HOME IS WHERE THE MUSIC IS) Actually, it’s a lotta things too much for my taste, and the piano player only seems to encourage him. Ah well, I know there’s a lotta folks who dig this, so that’s cool. I’ll just move on!

"Oh... Central America and whatnot. Moving on..." finally someone calls out a dud! the duderino. yup. if everyone liked the same stuff this would be an even weirder world than it already is.

I like people who say "whatnot." A lot of the kids who are in the marching band with my son say that a lot! Helps contribute to a wonderfully weird world!

Track 13: Ah HAH!!!! I knew I’d eventually hear it! Full disclosure time: in the midst of my tiredness last night, I opened up this thread, which is never a good idea because a) knowing the answers doesn’t help me and b) if I see something I’m gonna guess correctly, then that takes away the thrill of the discovery. I saw that someone had guessed Rollins/Cherry from “3 for Jazz,” which I have on the Sonny RCA box. Still, I thought it would go by me because I’ve listened to those particular tracks a total of zero times. However, now that I’m listening, I have to believe I woulda recognized Sonny, which woulda made me realize there’s no piano on this track, and then I woulda heard the drum solo and instantly KNOWN that was Smilin’ Billy, which woulda led me to realize that’s Don Cherry, which woulda led me to the conclusion that this was Sonny Rollins from the RCA box. But that’s as far as I woulda gotten. So, I get a point for guessing the players, but not the album, and I get another point for honesty. So there! (I consider this the BFT equivalent of NPR’s “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me”):D:lol::g

Trebek says points allowed! :g

Mr. Connery says "Then the day is mine! I'll take Anal Bum Covers for twenty-thousand!" ;):D:g

Track 14: There just isn’t enough acoustic guitar in jazz, as far as I’m concerned. I’m gonna guess Peter Leitch, and then I’m gonna seek this out once this is all over with. It’s been a loooooooooooong time since a BFT threatened my wallet this badly!

not Leitch. and as i said before, this one may really surprise folks. i've loved this track since i was a teenager but it is not at all the style he is known for...

Hmmmm..... Pat Metheny?

A fantastic BFT, thedwork!!! Gonna get a LOT of enjoyment out of repeated listenings to this one!

sooooooo glad to hear it Big Al. sharing music makes me happy, and when folks dig it, it's that much better...

I hear ya there, my man! I know whenever I put together a BFT, goal number one is making sure people have fun with it, and you certainly achieved that goal AFAIC!!!