Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

re- blue note STEREO stickers....a really late example?

7 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27c6166a60

i thought this was interesting, most of the bn lps w/ stereo stickers i have are from the '57-'59 timeframe, but here is a sidewinder stereo copy with the sticker. i didnt know they were doin those foil stickers that late (?) when was the sidewinder released exactly, early 64, or actually in 1963. was this the last time they used the sticker, i mean i dont recall seeing anything after this for sure

Edited by chewy

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27c6166a60

i thought this was interesting, most of the bn lps w/ stereo stickers i have are from the '57-'59 timeframe, but here is a sidewinder stereo copy with the sticker. i didnt know they were doin those foil stickers that late (?) when was the sidewinder released exactly, early 64, or actually in 1963. was this the last time they used the sticker, i mean i dont recall seeing anything after this for sure

My copy of Grantstand has a stereo sticker. What's that? Late 61' early 62'?

They ran out of stereo outer sleeves, grabbed a stack on mono ones and used the stickers. It's not that unusual and I wouldn't expect it to fetch a premium (unless they accidentally put a mono LP in there).

You see this all the time with Impulse! LPs. On the Impulse! jackets, they stick out like a sore thumb on the glossy cover and the sticker size & font doesn't even match the cover. See:

250674.jpg

My Garrison/Jones Impulse LP has a stereo sticker on the cover.

My copy of Coleman Hawkins' "Today and Now" has the sticker, too.

Around 1968 all the major labels stopped the dual inventories of mono/stereo. Rather than scrap all the mono jackets they printed stickers.

Aha.

The few Impulse stereo-sticker jackets I have all contain red/black Impulse LPs from the late '60s/early '70s. That explains it.