Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bertrand

Happy 100th birthday to Gil Evans

12 posts in this topic

Today marks the 100th birthday of this amazing musician, whose vision was truly unique. His contribution to jazz cannot be overstated.

My friend Brad Linde will be celebrating his music this Wednesday 5/16 at the Atlas theatre in D.C. The program will include music from the Pacific Jazz date with Cannonball, which I don't think is performed much.

I don't know of too many upcoming events celebrating Gil. I know Ryan Truesdell's record comes out this week. Does anyone know of anything else?

Bertrand.

Here's a link to Ryan's project:

The Gil Evans Project

There's a CD release gig at the Jazz Standard next week. (look at the show schedule, May 17-20)

I'm looking forward to hearing the recording.

Edited by Free For All

I've been listening to Gil's music for about 40 years now and there's still new things to hear, the way certain things will play off and inside of each other...one of a relative few participants in this music whose voice really does defy time and space, or at the very least, confronts them on terms of assumptions of facts not yet proven.

Mike Price (ex Kenton - long term Tokyo resident) and orchestra have some fine Gil/ Miles Ahead performances on youtube:

Q

Glad to have caught the NPR piece. Truly one of the greats.

Gil Evans all day today on WKCR.