Father and son duos

I was listening to the very refined and close playing between Joe and Mat Maneri on Blessed (ECM) and began thinking about father/son duos. What other such intimate partnerships are there? Duos would be one context, but also other groupings where the father/son relationship is close (Ornette/Denardo on Empty Foxhole, for example). What's out there?

The Brubecks.

Did Al Cohn and Joe Cohn play together?

I think I heard that there was a recording of both Albert and Gene Ammons.

Over here there's Stan and Clark Tracey and John and Alec Dankworth. Don't know if the Skidmores ever played tenors together professionally.

This one could run and run, but sticking strictly to duos would narrow it down. :smirk:

Edited by BillF

The Brubecks.

Did Al Cohn and Joe Cohn play together?

I think I heard that there was a recording of both Albert and Gene Ammons.

Over here there's Stan and Clark Tracey. Don't know if the Skidmores ever played tenors together professionally.

This one could run and run, but sticking strictly to duos would narrow it down. :smirk:

Yes the Al and John Cohn payed together. I have a few recordings with the two of them together.

Karlheinz and Markus Stockhausen

I know that Herr Stockhausen collaborated with several of his children, but the musical partnership between Markus and him was particularly fruitful.

There are so many musical families in New Orleans that I'm kind of surprised that I can't think of a father/son team that recorded together. Many such teams played together (Willie Humphrey's first gig was with his father, Willie Eli Humphrey, in 1915 or so), but off the top of my head, I can't come up with any recorded examples except for the Marsalises.

Oh - Kent Jordan with papa Kidd Jordan's Improvisational Arts Quintet. And Doc Paulin's brass band album on Folkways has several sons on board. But there must be more examples.