mrjazzman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1339439237' post='1202222']

1339436601' post='1202203']

I catch him occasionally on WKCR online. Great! That NYC voice is something the BBC jazz presenters can't match! :D

For you he's on at a reasonable hour. Sid's got that classic New York Jew delivery.

Some of those WKCR guys have been on air for about 40 years, like Schaap and Sharif Abdul Salaam (whom I first knew of as Ed Michael). When I started listening to WKCR DJs included Fred Seibert, who was with MTV from the beginning, and Rich Scheinin, who started Oblivion Records and now writes for San Jose Mercury News. I think I first became aware of WKCR in 1970 during the Coltrane marathon, and I did lots of all-nighters in August of 1973 listening to the Bird marathon, just before starting college.

Sid is great. I love listening to him. He does have a very distinctive voice (not sure what NY Jew delivery means or adds; gravelley might have been a better choice of words) as does Sharif.

My first jazz album was either I Sing The Body Electric or Bitches Brew, I'm not sure. I wouldn't say either of them got me really hooked because it took a lot of plays for those albums to click with me. What really got me to be a total jazz head was going to a local jazz club back in the mid 80s and listening to Jessica Williams play on Wednesday nights every week and then going to her house concerts once a month which were hosted by local fans at Jessican's house. It was always a potluck and bring your favorite beverage, ahem. Jessica played either solo or with any number of musicians up to maybe four but usually smaller. I met a lot of wonderful people who have become life long friends and some of them and Jessica were my guides into the exotic (to me) world of jazz. That's when I almost completely stopped listening to anything else but jazz which went on for almost a decade. I am indebted to those friends for helping me find my way and I try to return the favor with others when they are receptive to it. They are some of my favorite jazz moments. Jessica played either solo or trio format, usually with John Witala and Kenny Wolleson for many years until Kenny moved off to NY and became a go to guy in the drum department. Fun times, fun times.

It was early summer 1967. I was 18 and living on Hogarth Road in Earls Court, London.

One of my flat mates had been given an advance copy of the new Beatles record. We were playing it on the rooftop into the street to considerable acclaim and, more importantly, female interest. Some long forgotten cool fellow wandered over to the record player when the LP sides finished and put on Kind of Blue. "That's music" he said.

Days later I was in Doug Dobell's on Charing Cross Road to get KOB but bought Pyramid by MJQ instead.

Went back a week later to get KOB and got The Giuseppi Logan Quartet LP instead.

Hooked forever

It was early summer 1967. I was 18 and living on Hogarth Road in Earls Court, London.

One of my flat mates had been given an advance copy of the new Beatles record. We were playing it on the rooftop into the street to considerable acclaim and, more importantly, female interest. Some long forgotten cool fellow wandered over to the record player when the LP sides finished and put on Kind of Blue. "That's music" he said.

Days later I was in Doug Dobell's on Charing Cross Road to get KOB but bought Pyramid by MJQ instead.

Went back a week later to get KOB and got The Giuseppi Logan Quartet LP instead.

Hooked forever

:tup