Alvin Queen micro-corner

Bright Moments

I think I've first heard him with Bennie Wallace on the air ... missed his one terrific Zurich concert, around 1999/2000, I think. Wallace, Danton Boller, Queen - mighty fine band.

Queen's indeed on some European productions, with Dusko for instance, but also with Swiss piano great Marc Hemmeler.

I think Queen's been based in Switzerland for many years (as was Jimmy Woode), but I still haven't yet managed to catch him live.

(Just wondered if it was him on drums when I heard Benny Bailey/Joe Haider's quintet, but it was John Engels - the others were Andy Scherrer on tenor and Isla Eckinger on bass - fine band, good concert, great experience to have caught Benny live!)

I have been looking all over for the Queen/Lonnie Smith set-Lennox and 7th-on Black and Blue.

Any leads?

You can get a ridiculously over-priced new copy (£19 goddammit!) at Amazon UK or pay a fiver for a download

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenox-Seventh-Lonnie-Smith-Alvin/dp/B00004SDJZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337886200&sr=1-1

It's a bit cheaper from Amazon France

http://www.amazon.fr/Lenox-Seventh-Lonnie-Smith-Alvin/dp/B00004SDJZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337886408&sr=1-1

MG

I've seen Alvin Queen live several times in Paris. He makes a band hop, all right. Great drummer. He used to play with Tommy Flanagan's trio when the regular drummer couldn't make the date, and played Flanagan's detailed arrangements like he had devised them himself. Not sure where he's based--Berlin?

I hope Michael Weiss chimes in with some stories about playing with Alvin!!

:excited:

My only experience thus far playing with Alvin was on the Griffin/Grossman recording, which I recall describing in another post.

Suffice to say Alvin's quite a character and was a lot of fun to play with. He and Johnny were pretty close.

Yes - Geneva.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Seems like a good place to ask for other Nilva recommendations (I have the Charles Davis which is very fine and a Junior Mance/Martin Rivera duo recording and the Big John Patton Jim mentioned).

Ronnie Mathews Trio "So Sorry Please" is very good ....