$5 a month smalls jazz club membership is awesome

their podcast starts each day at 4 or 5pm and usually goes till almost 3am. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

each night there is a midnight jam session.

last night jam was really good--

Afterhours with:

Theo Hill (Birthday Gig!)

11:30 PM to 2:00 AM+

Theo Hill - Piano

Frank Lacy - Trombone

Stacy Dillard - Tenor Sax

Josh Evans - Trumpet

Joe Sanders - Bass

Jason Brown - Drums

then the shows stream till they reopen at 4pm.

to get an intimate 'seat' inside this 48 seat haven is like going to heaven for me, and for $5 a month, i can't think of a better way to spend the money.

smalls jazz club

I'M CURRENTLY LISTENING TO AN INFORMAL RELAXED REQUEST/REPARTEE SET FROM YESTERDAY AFTERNOON WITH OWNER/PIANIST/SPIKE WILNER AT THE REFURBISHED STEINWAY. THIS STUFF IS HARD TO BEAT, AND I DON'T WANT TO TRY.....

Edited by alocispepraluger102

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this quintet tonight was superb, presenting a varied program.

hopefuully, they have recorded.

at intermission, tenorman ned goold favored us with some excellent classical piano.

The Neal Caine Group

11:30 PM to 2:00 AM

Neal Caine - Bass

Ned Goold - Tenor Sax

Stephen Riley - Tenor Sax

Aaron Goldberg - Piano

Jeremy "Bean" Clemons - Drums

(aaron goldberg, in the jam session, can SWING AND SWING AND SWING AT SUPER BREAKNECK SPEED. he has very few, if any, contemporary equals).

I like Goold and Riley as two distinctive sounds on today's scene. If I can get a high-speed/listening connection, I'll have to "tune in".

agreed--goold and riley are a great combo.

archives are available.

for $5 a month, i can't complain.

last thursday, the veteran saxophonist ralph bowen quartet performed.

their second set was OMG mind blowing--very rarely have i heard such complex, madly swinging, listenable music.

Freddie Bryant - Guitar

Jared Gold - Organ

Donald Edwards - Drums

Ralph Bowen - Tenor Sax

• 3 weeks later...

tonight, monday, at 730pm, the ubiquitos bucky pizzarelli performs with guitarist ed laub.

tuesday, saxophonist greg tardy appears with a quintet.

wednesday tenor titan marcus strickland appears in a quintet with bassist ben williams and pianist gerald clayton.

thursday, guitarists jimmy bruno and jack wilkins appear in a duo setting.

for the next sets trumpeter jack walrath appears in a quintet with pianist orrin evans and jimmy madison drums,

friday, the harvie s trio with eliot zigmund and alan broadbent will appear.

in a later set and again on saturday, eric alexander appears in quartet with david hazeltine.

smalls jazz club schedule.

the $5/month video subscription works for me. they often blow live from 5pm till within minutes of 4am.

their podcast starts each day at 4 or 5pm and usually goes till almost 3am. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

each night there is a midnight jam session.

last night jam was really good--

Afterhours with:

Theo Hill (Birthday Gig!)

11:30 PM to 2:00 AM+

Theo Hill - Piano

Frank Lacy - Trombone

Stacy Dillard - Tenor Sax

Josh Evans - Trumpet

Joe Sanders - Bass

Jason Brown - Drums

then the shows stream till they reopen at 4pm.

to get an intimate 'seat' inside this 48 seat haven is like going to heaven for me, and for $5 a month, i can't think

smalls jazz club

On behalf of all us many musos working/bonding at Smalls I thank you for your support. I suggest you forward this thread to Spike Wilner. He'd be very grateful. And Ned Goold came w/the furniture. That's how we met: sewn to the same chair (w/o jewels inside, I'm afraid).

i enjoyed 2 jack walrath shows last night. he takes his gigging much more seriously than most artists. this is a lovely, lovely quintet.

Jack Walrath - Trumpet

Abraham Burton - Tenor Sax

Orrin Evans - Piano

Boris Kozlov - Bass

Jimmy Madison - Drums

i cannot give enough compliments of pianist orrin evans. his effortless mastery of the keyboard, fountain of ideas, and flat out ability to swing is a RARE delight.

i enjoyed 2 jack walrath shows last night. he takes his gigging much more seriously than most artists. this is a lovely, lovely quintet.

Jack Walrath - Trumpet

Orrin Evans - Piano

Boris Kozlov - Bass

Jimmy Madison - Drums

i cannot give enough compliments of pianist orrin evans. his effortless mastery of the keyboard, fountain of ideas, and flat out ability to swing is a RARE delight.

I saw that group at Smalls a year or so ago and I very much enjoyed; their two recent worthy recordings on Steeplechase are Forsooth and Heavy Mirth.

Jack Walrath - Trumpet

Orrin Evans - Piano

Boris Kozlov - Bass

Jimmy Madison - Drums

I saw that group at Smalls a year or so ago and I very much enjoyed; their two recent worthy recordings on Steeplechase are Forsooth and Heavy Mirth.

tim armacost filled in on sax.

I caught Walrath's first set and liked it very much. I also enjoyed the Jack Wilkins-Jimmy Bruno duo that performed earlier that night.

If you plan to continue posting about your latest listening experience, perhaps this thread could be moved to the jazz podcast forum.

Edited by sonnymax

thursday, guitarists jimmy bruno and jack wilkins appear in a duo setting.

Wow, I may go to that.

I was in NYC for the first time last week, standing outside Smalls debating whether or not to go in as I discussed it with the doorman. Ended up going down the road to the Village Vanguard and seeing Terrell Stafford -- very good, but I wish I had spotted this thread earlier.